• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I am looking to get a smaller carry gun for summer time, and I'm looking at Kel Tec's 9mm lines. Right now, I am considering the P11 or PF9. Does anyone have experience/useful knowledge to help me decide?:dunno:

iujeffcpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    South Bend, IN
    I have a PF9 and it makes for a nice conceal carry gun. I like how thin it is and the small size, but more the fact that I can have a larger size round like the 9X19 instead of the smaller rounds you find in similar/smaller handguns. The Kel Tec PF9 is a durable handgun and quite reliable. It shoots nice but you have to grip it pretty good because it will jump around in your hand if you don't manage the recoil.

Good luck on your decision,

Jeff

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have owned them both, shot both, and carried both. I like them both equally. The PF9 has a slighly smaller frame which I liked as a carry weapon(holds 7 rounds), but the PF11 holds 10 which is also a good factor in a carry weapon. The PF9 has a single stacked mag, so the pistol grip is not as wide as the PF11. I like the feel of the PF9, but like the round capacity of the PF11. Get a feel for both and see what fits your hand the best. If you have never shot a kel tec, note the heavy trigger pull. Buy both, why not?
    I know the PF11 has an adjustable rear sight, I can't recall if the PF9 does as well- something to consider too.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can actually get flush 12 round mags for the P11, I thought. I bought mine during the AWB so I only have 10s for it.

I don't think the thickness difference between the two warrants the PF9, unless you can pocket carry the PF9. I can't. So I have a P11 for strong side carry and a P3AT for pocket carry.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a P11 - another forum member has it now. After a fluff and buff, completely reliable. I had both 10 round mags and 12, post-ban. The 12s didn't want to feed right and, not wanting to ruin my confidence, I sold 'em. I'm 6'3 and 230#... it was NOT a pocket gun for me. It is smallish though. I carried IWB some.

Eventually it was surrounded by other firearms in the carry-rotation and it fell out of the group. Reliable. Smallish. The worst trigger I've ever felt in my life. (With "second-strike" capability, as Taurus touts :rolleyes: , though it always fired the primer on the first strike.) Nothing wrong with it as long as you can get used to the trigger and don't limp-wrist.

Check out the "why a 380" thread for some PF9-P11 sideXside photos.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    When I cannot carry my Commander-framed .45...
    I carry a PF-9 with Speer Gold Dot 'short barrel' 124Gr +P's in it. No problems and easy to conceal.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'd go with the P11 because the difference in size is not all that considerable and you get more rounds.

However, without knowing what, how, and in what you carry, I'd say that a good holster will allow you to carry your usual piece.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have seen a couple of P 11's shot apart in the past, and one new one right out of the box that could not shoot a group under 18 inch's, Have you looked at the Skyy 9mm they run about $230.00 and come with two mags finger grove base plate and the flat one too, and look almost the same as the P11. Good luck, Gary

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    pf9

never shot the p11 but the pf9 is nice. definitely recommend shooting it first tho. you'll have to decide for yourself if the trigger pull and recoil are manageable for you. i'm not a huge fan. not for carry at least but i'll shoot my roommates at the range

so reid i completely forgot it was you haha talk to josh when we get back to fw. he took his camping this weekend. i know he's lookin to trade it cause he didn't like the trigger pull or recoil

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have shot both and own a PF9. I carry the PF9 when I don't carry my Glock 22. I prefer the PF9, hard to tell a difference but I think it has a better trigger and I like the feel better. It is slimmer, minor but easier to carry in the pocket. Thus the reason for carrying a sub compact, your looking for a small gun, the PF9 is the smaller of the two.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have the p11. and have shot about 150 rounds through it so far and like it. The trigger pull is something that you have to feel to understand it. (I think it's about 8 lbs.) I bought the trigger shoe that widens the trigger and it feels so much better. It's not the one I love to practice with, but so far no issues so I feel it could get the job done if needed, and the price is decent. And of course the extra bullets. 7 bullets might be enough for one bad guy, but how about 2 or 3?

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    They are both excellent choices and you can't go wrong either way. I would recommend going with the one that feels the best to you. It mostly personal preference anyways. By the way i have the PF9 and I really like it. Good luck

Top Bottom