Own a Gemtech Outback suppressor? Check this out!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Friggin' perfect! I have long put off sending in my original Outback to be upgraded with the OBII baffle stack, and it looks like I will finally reap the benefits of my procrastination. :)

The user-serviceable feature is awesome and probably worth the price of admission by itself. But what are the pros/cons of the available options (stainless steel/aluminum/titanium) for the various baffles in the stack? How are you guys going to be configuring yours?

My OB is primarily used with my 22/45 handgun and 10/22 rifle, though I plan to start using it with my AR/.22 kit as well. Firing schedule is moderately high volume - and at times pretty rapid - semi-auto fire. Minimizing can weight is not much of a concern. Am willing to spend up to $200 on the re-do. Advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm leaving mine the same aluminum baffle stack that I have come to know and love. I don't see any real reason to move to Ti or SS baffles. Maybe Ti to save on weight but at 2.5oz for the aluminum baffles, that's plenty light for me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Friggin' perfect! I have long put off sending in my original Outback to be upgraded with the OBII baffle stack, and it looks like I will finally reap the benefits of my procrastination. :)

The user-serviceable feature is awesome and probably worth the price of admission by itself. But what are the pros/cons of the available options (stainless steel/aluminum/titanium) for the various baffles in the stack? How are you guys going to be configuring yours?

My OB is primarily used with my 22/45 handgun and 10/22 rifle, though I plan to start using it with my AR/.22 kit as well. Firing schedule is moderately high volume - and at times pretty rapid - semi-auto fire. Minimizing can weight is not much of a concern. Am willing to spend up to $200 on the re-do. Advice is much appreciated.

Stainless baffles allow you to do the "dip" to clean them. (Dip= equal parts hydrogen peroxide and vinegar) Aluminum baffles would be lighter and not able to be cleaned by the "dip". Titanium would be best of both worlds and most expensive.

p.s. The "dip" is the easiest way to clean suppressor baffles, as the concoction converts the solid lead into lead acetate and it just comes off the baffles. The lead acetate is dangerous and must be disposed of as hazardous materials, but it does make cleaning a snap.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    p.s. The "dip" is the easiest way to clean suppressor baffles, as the concoction converts the solid lead into lead acetate and it just comes off the baffles. The lead acetate is dangerous and must be disposed of as hazardous materials, but it does make cleaning a snap.
    Not just disposed of as hazardous, but also handled as hazardous. Elbow length gloves are an absolute must at all times. Lead acetate is basically "liquid lead" that can be absorbed through your skin. IIRC, there was a story about a year back about a chemistry professor that was exposed to lead acetate unknowingly through a pin-hole in her glove. Within a day she was dying, and within a few days she was dead. It hit her so hard and fast that they didn't even know what the problem was until it was too late.

IMHO, the "dip" is a last resort measure. It's still nice to have non-AL internals so that you can do it if you must, but it isn't something that I would completely base my decision on.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kinda expen$ive if you ask me considering I didn't pay much for it to begin with! They should do it for $100.00 and get more takers!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Kinda expen if you ask me considering I didn't pay much for it to begin with! They should do it for $100.00 and get more takers!!

I paid $250.00 for my Outback "back inna day"... plus the $200 tax stamp, of course. Today, I am paying $145 (and no tax stamp) for a new endcap that allows user-serviceability, plus a whole new baffle stack that will bring the can up to Outback II standards (quieter and with reduced FRP). Essentially, the only thing left of the original can will be the outer tube. I think the price is more than fair, considering what I'm getting.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I found this out a 2 months after I bought my OBII. Kinda upset about it but after a calk to gemtech I found out it will be 50.00 and they will offer me a credit towards my current baffles since it has yet to be shot. I don't know what's goin to be worse having the can and not being able to shoot it or the wait??

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Bump!

Sent my original (2002-vintage) Outback in on 3/1; received it back as an Outback II-D on 3/24. Gemtech included an owner's manual for the new version, but did not include a disassembly tool (though the manual gives a couple sources and even has plans for making your own).

Good communication, good value for what was done (new baffle stack, thread insert and endcap), and reasonably quick turnaround. I recommend this service if you want to breathe some new life into your old or filled-up Outback or Outback II.

Can't wait to get out and shoot it!

Top Bottom