• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Years ago I worked 3rd shift at a gas station. It was kind of spooky, but I was always armed. I know the robber probably did not get very much money, as most gas stations require money drops into a safe that only the manager has access to. So a man lost his life over a small amt. of money, and some scumbag, when he does get caught, we get to pay for his time in jail. I guess that's just how it goes.
    Too bad the attendant wasn't armed and could fight back.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Clerk killed in gas station robbery
    OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE) - A gas station clerk is shot and killed after an Owensboro robbery. It happened at the Bon Harbor Shell station, on Highway 60 around 2:30 Monday morning. The clerk, Suba Singh, 46, of Henderson, told police he had been robbed and shot in the stomach with a semi-automatic gun. He died around 10:00 Monday morning at OMHS. Investigators say the man in question fled in a maroon van that matches the description of a stolen vehicle in Owensboro. Daviess County Sheriff’s Department says that they have been in communication with a potential suspect. Deputies say they are in negotiations with the potential suspect but they have not turned themselves in. Arrest warrants have been issued in the case but the sheriff’s department is not releasing the name.
    Owensboro Clerk Dies After Being Shot During Robbery
    OWENSBORO, KY - NEWS 25 learns the gas station shot early this morning in Owensboro has died. The Daviess County Coroner's Office told us 46-year-old Suba Singh, of Henderson, KY, was shot and killed at the Shell station on West 2nd Street. The coroner's office said Singh was shot twice, once in the abdomen and once on the wrist. Authorities said Singh was shot during a robbery that happened just after 2:30 a.m. The Daviess County Sheriff's Office said a suspect entered the store and demanded cash before firing a large caliber handgun. Deputies said Singh was able to call 911 and give a brief description of the suspect. He was reportedly taken to OMHS where he later died. The Sheriff's Office said they are preparing a warrant for an arrest in connection with the case, but did not provide any other details about it. Deputies were looking for a "person of interest" early Monday morning, but could not confirm if the warrant is for that person. The Sheriff's Office said they will hold a press conference at 3:00 p.m. Monday at the Daviess County Court House in Owensboro. NEWS 25 will be there and bring you the latest updates online and on NEWS 25 at 4:30.

OWENSBORO, KY - Authorities in Owensboro are looking for a "person of interest" in connection with the overnight shooting of a gas station clerk. The Daviess County Sheriff's Office told NEWS 25 they have a person of interest in the case and are currently looking for him. They believe the person may have already left the city of Owensboro, and said area law enforcement agencies have been notified to look out for them. Deputies said a clerk at the Shell station on West Second Street was shot in the stomach around 2:40 a.m. Monday, during a robbery. They said the clerk was able to call 911 and give dispatchers a brief description of the suspect before he got away. Authorities told us the clerk was taken to OMHS for surgery.

OWENSBORO, KY - NEWS 25 is at the scene of an overnight shooting of an Owensboro convenience store clerk. The Daviess County Sheriff's Office told us a clerk at the Shell Station on West 2nd Street was shot around 2:40 a.m. Monday during an apparent armed robbery. Deputies said the suspect demanded cash and then shot the clerk in the stomach. They told us the clerk was taken to OMHS for surgery. No word on his condition as of 5:30 a.m. The Sheriff's Office said the suspect is a black male, about 6'2" tall. They said he fled the scene in a burgundy van, which the Owensboro Police Department said was reported stolen shortly before the robbery. If you have any information about the robbery please call Crime Stoppers at (270) 687-8484.

Sad. I'd definitely be carrying if I dealt with customers off the street.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    I just missed that incident, my wife and I where on the way home from a horse show in Murfreesboro Tenn. at about the time of the shooting we where looking for a place to re fuel diesel and that I could get the large rig into. Couldn't find a station big enough and drove on to Dale Indiana. Scary

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I work at a gas station and unfortunately do not currently have the luxury to carry - boss said no and I do not want to risk getting fired for it. I know that may seem kind of silly just for a gas station job but until I can secure something elsewhere I am not taking any risks. I would rather just not carry and in the highly unlikely event I were to get robbed just give them the cash. Odds of me getting caught carrying are far greater than getting robbed.

Either way, to my point - this is not reassuring and really makes me wish I could carry at work, not that I didn't already wish to. The particular station I work at has been robbed at least once before but there is an extremely heavy police presence in Carmel and I feel, well, about as secure as I can - which is not very secure. It is one thing to rob someone and just defile them and strip them of their comfort and security and a completely different and horrible travesty that the attendant complied and still got shot. Extremely cowardly and I can only hope that our justice system properly takes care of the scum of the earth that are the perps in this case.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    keep your head on swivel, and make a plan. If you see anything suspicious execute your safety plan. You come first not the business, no amount of money is worth losing you life.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    keep your head on swivel, and make a plan. If you see anything suspicious execute your safety plan. You come first not the business, no amount of money is worth losing you life.

ABSOLUTELY!! I am not dying for some cash, and this story tells us that even if you do everything the BG wants you still might end up shot! i find cover first and have my gun in hand!

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    that is absolutely horrible, as i keep telling my S.O. were living in a f-ed up world always keep your guard up.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Another reason why its just stupid not to be able to carry to your place of employment. Especially places like a gas station where your subject to being robbed by next meth head.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I work at a gas station and unfortunately do not currently have the luxury to carry - boss said no and I do not want to risk getting fired for it. I know that may seem kind of silly just for a gas station job but until I can secure something elsewhere I am not taking any risks. I would rather just not carry and in the highly unlikely event I were to get robbed just give them the cash. Odds of me getting caught carrying are far greater than getting robbed.

Either way, to my point - this is not reassuring and really makes me wish I could carry at work, not that I didn't already wish to. The particular station I work at has been robbed at least once before but there is an extremely heavy police presence in Carmel and I feel, well, about as secure as I can - which is not very secure. It is one thing to rob someone and just defile them and strip them of their comfort and security and a completely different and horrible travesty that the attendant complied and still got shot. Extremely cowardly and I can only hope that our justice system properly takes care of the scum of the earth that are the perps in this case.

Dude,

Please rethink that for your own safety. I used to run pizza places and. I was robbed , at gun point, 4 times personally. My stores were robbed about 10 times. That was years ago. I'm, sure people are just worse now and more prone to act out even if you comply.
    If you have a LTCH. I'd risk the job. Be descrete. Maybe a P3AT or Makarov, or P-11 for decrete budget guns.

But rethink the not carrying. Gas stations are even higher lielkleihood than pizza shops and the like. WAY more cash.......:twocents:

On a fun note one time a guy's paper bag slipped off his "gun" which turned out ro be a black peice of pipe. He was beaten, and then the police came. It was his thrird strike. Court was awsome that day! :D

Also 3rd strike:yesway:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Cygnus,
    don't get me wrong I have thought about this thoroughly. But at this point I just don't see the point in me taking the risk. Perhaps a little further down the road and I have some more money saved up in an emergency fund. At that point. I can take the financial risk of losing my job for a few months. I will likely carry an LCP or a pistol of that sort when I feel a little more comfortable. I do realize that the odds of me being robbed exist but those risks are slim. I am not trying to downplay the seriousness or odds of getting robbed but in all reality, they are not great. You make very valid points and ALL have crossed my mind on a number of occasions. On a side note, who has an LCP I can try out? :):

The times you were robbed were you carrying? If you were, if/how/when did you present your weapon? In a situation where I am getting robbed as a cashier in the time it takes me to draw, the BG would have time to react and if he is just across the counter I don't know how/when I would draw to gain the advantage. The deck is stacked against me in that situation with a gun pointed at me.

I may split my thoughts off into another thread as this is derailing the OP's thread...sorry

7orelevn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Greenwood
    I remember a similar case near the airport and a clerk was robbed and killed after giving the money. Was a Marathon near Lynhurst by the Dennys.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Cygnus,
    don't get me wrong I have thought about this thoroughly. But at this point I just don't see the point in me taking the risk. Perhaps a little further down the road and I have some more money saved up in an emergency fund. At that point. I can take the financial risk of losing my job for a few months. I will likely carry an LCP or a pistol of that sort when I feel a little more comfortable. I do realize that the odds of me being robbed exist but those risks are slim. I am not trying to downplay the seriousness or odds of getting robbed but in all reality, they are not great. You make very valid points and ALL have crossed my mind on a number of occasions. On a side note, who has an LCP I can try out? :):

The times you were robbed were you carrying? If you were, if/how/when did you present your weapon? In a situation where I am getting robbed as a cashier in the time it takes me to draw, the BG would have time to react and if he is just across the counter I don't know how/when I would draw to gain the advantage. The deck is stacked against me in that situation with a gun pointed at me.

I may split my thoughts off into another thread as this is derailing the OP's thread...sorry

I don't mind if it stays here. I'd like to be able to follow what your plans are for the future

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Cygnus,

First thanks to the OP for allowing the sidebar.
    No, I was not carrying when I was robbed. Didn't own a handgun at the time and people were not shooting folks who cooperated on a regular basis. 2 of the times I actually asked the guy to show the gun. When I saw the grip I just said "that's all I need" Got grins from the robber both times. Had I been carrying yes I could have used a gun on the 2 two who told nme they had a gun and just flashed it. Obviously the guy wiht the pipe was out gunned by 3 male employees to his "fake" gun. The other time would have been iffy. Ultimately it's your call. I just fear that people are more likely to shoot ebven cooperative people these days than in the early 90's/late 80's.
    God luck and best wishes. (BTW THE P3AT is just a less refined LPC. And less expensive!)

Top Bottom