Outfitting a SHTF Backpack... What do you think???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Is there somewhere you can buy pre-made BOB's?

If it helps, i'm selling my Molle II

This is not the actual picture, but it looks 100% the same-
    25032.jpg

molle2_backpack_04.jpg

fullsetleft.jpg

Comes with the two side pouches (not the sleeping bag- i paid good $$$$ for my sleeping bag)

It has the quick release system. Just pull on the strap and the pack comes off from the shoulder straps. It also has the alice frame. Makes my 100# BOB feel like 50lbs.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This is the SW radio I have. Tiny and works great. CountyComm - CountyComm GP-4L / EFTR (Emergency Task Force Radio)

Those little plastic survival tools are utter crap. Ok, they may be ok for a child to play with. Spend your money on a decent compass, whistle, multiple fire starting methods etc.

And I would go further to say, do not recommend any gear unless you have first hand knowledge in the field of how it works. Recommending items from reading on net/youtube or picking up crap at a gun show is careless.

lol. just what i was about to say. I didn't see flash light neither :dunno: may i suggest this wonder little light. Pak-Lite's Official Website - Pak-Lite's Official Website

you might want to also add some sort of saw to your pack. Amazon.com: Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Also i got this need little tool. It has a compass, little magnifying glass & a whistle. I got it at the gun show for like $2. You can find little gadges like that cheap on ebay or amazon
    Like this one- Amazon.com: Tool Logic SVC1B Survival Card Tool With 1/2 Serrated Knife, Fire Starter, Whistle, Compass and Magnification Lens, Translucent Blue: Sports & Outdoors

or: Amazon.com: 6-in-1 Outdoors Survival Mini Kit (Whistle + Compass + Magnifier + LED Flashlight + more): Sports & Outdoors

A nice little gadget is nice.

Also i didn't see a shovel in ur list.

As for a radio i'll go with the FR500 Product Card
    This is what you get:
    AM (520-1700 KHz), FM (88-108 MHz), Shortwave (6000-12100 KHz)
    NOAA weather – all 7 channels plus “Alert”
    Siren and Flashlight
    Can be powered from four different sources:
    From the built-in rechargeable Ni-MH battery that takes charge from the dynamo crank and from an AC adapter (not included)
    From 3 AA batteries (not included)
    From the AC adapter alone (not included)
    From solar power
    Analog frequency dial with digital display
    Built-in cell phone charger
    Digital clock function

And it only weighs 3lbs

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dude if you have 100 lbs of crap in your BOB you need to get rid of 40-50% of your stuff.

Unless you are an ironman and I am mistaken. If so come on up here and go for ruck with WETSU and I and see how many miles you can knock out with that 100 lbs on your back in 95 degree weather.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You want "easy" on gear that you may have to depend on with your life, then just google it I am sure Coleman or the like has a day pack stuffed with a boo boo kit some waterproof matches and knife with a hollow handle.

Or at least read the BOB 101 sticky and decide for yourself what items you need.

If you have a pack start filling it.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    You want "easy" on gear that you may have to depend on with your life, then just google it I am sure Coleman or the like has a day pack stuffed with a boo boo kit some waterproof matches and knife with a hollow handle.

Or at least read the BOB 101 sticky and decide for yourself what items you need.

If you have a pack start filling it.

That's just it; I don't have one. I thought I could start with a "basic" pack and fill it in as I go. Thanks for being so understanding though, big help.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you want need a pack say so. That is different that an fully stocked BOB. Medium or Large Alice packs are cheap and take abuse. It is best though to start with your load out then buy a pack that will fit it. If you have a HUGE pack you will likely over fill it. Remember to leave a little room for things you may collect on the way.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    If you want need a pack say so. That is different that an fully stocked BOB. Medium or Large Alice packs are cheap and take abuse. It is best though to start with your load out then buy a pack that will fit it. If you have a HUGE pack you will likely over fill it. Remember to leave a little room for things you may collect on the way.

:yesway:

I agree with Mr. Sailor. I did the opposite, and need to remove a few items of my BOB. Also the reason i like the Military packs like the Molle's is because they have straps that you can add/remove pouches. And they are extremely well made. If you buy some backpack from Dicks or Cabelas, 99% of them are made cheap. The material easily wears down and the zippers are poorly made. My molles zippers are huge!

And the frame makes the pack less heavy.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dude if you have 100 lbs of crap in your BOB you need to get rid of 40-50% of your stuff.

Unless you are an ironman and I am mistaken. If so come on up here and go for ruck with WETSU and I and see how many miles you can knock out with that 100 lbs on your back in 95 degree weather.

^^^^
    QFT

Also trying to pack 100 pounds in 10 degree weather can be just as bad as 95 in the summer. You don't want to exert your body and waste your energy.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have a simple rule, it works for me but may not for others..

If an item I carry doesn't have at least 2-3 uses then I really have to decide if it is truly a "Survival" item. Part of survival is being able handle the adversity your faced with with as little as possible.

Also more important then just having an item is the knowledge on how to utilize it. If you don't know how to use it and haven't practiced with it then why bother?

Top Bottom