Outfitting a SHTF Backpack... What do you think???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    If you were to outfit a SHTF (Bug out) backpack to carry in your car what would you put in it to have available to you in case of an emergency?

Here are my intial thoughts (in no particular order):
    • .45 cal 1911 (w/ 3 loaded mags)
    • Henry US Survival .22 Rifle (& 100 rounds of ammo)
    • Classic Military Survival Knife
    • 2 Qt Water Canteen (& Water Purification Tablets)
    • Fire Starting (Water Proof Matches & MagnesiumFire Starter Kit)
    • MREs (3 Days)
    • Compass
    • SOG Powerlock (Leatherman Tool)
    • Space Blanket
    • Small First Responder Kit (Advanced First Aid)
    • Deet Mosquito Repellant
    • 45 spf Sunscreen
    • Bar of Ivory Soap
    • Small Tactical LED Flashlight (& extra batteries)
    • 50ft of Type 3 Paracord
    • Small Roll of Twine
    • 2 Heavy Duty Carabiners
    • 1 Compact Heavy Duty Pulley (Petzel Type)
    • Role of Duct Tape
    • 10 x 10 Sheet of Visqueen
    • 2 Large Trash Bags
    • Small Portable Emergency Radio (w/ Hand Crank Power)
    • 8 oz of Table Salt
    • Small Can Opener (redundant - should be on SOG Tool)
    • Hiking Boots (& a pair of thick socks)
    • Rain Poncho
    • Mechanix type gloves
    • Machete &/or Tactical Tomahawk
    • Fish Kit (Hooks, Sinkers, & Spider Wire [doubles as Snare Line])
    • 3 - Disassembled Razor Blade Style Broad Heads
    • 1/2 Roll of Pre-1965 Silver Quarters
    • Survival Handbook
    I think the weight would be manageable - price may be a different matter... What do you think? What am I missing? What would you put in your SHTF Pack?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Ditch the space blanket and get a USGI poncho liner.:yesway:
    Ditch the Quarters.

Two more pairs of socks.
    Two more pistol mags.

I agree with all the above. Add a couple packages of GI heat tabs & a GI canteen cup. Makes it easier to heat water. Make sure your backpack has good support at the waist and doesn't just hang off of your shoulders.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    You mentioned batteries I always recommend lithium ion. (last longer lighter)
    Small sharpening stone for knives, fish hooks....
    Ditch the twine and take more paracord it can always be broken down.

I also take a warm pair of pants and long sleeve shirt as a back up pair of clothes. pants and long sleeve shirt can be cut down if it's warm weather and can also be cut up for bandages if need be. These do take up some space so I roll them tight, stick em in a vacuum seal bag and run the vacuum food saver on it. Makes the spare clothes very compact and gives you an extra bag. JMO but, glad another person is getting prepared.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I set mine up as if a car wasn't an option and I had to be on foot for three days. So IMO, I would add a MIOX water filtration system and parts kit, Travel-size deodorant, toothpaste,shampoo. Half of survival is mental, so being able to wash your hair and brush your teeth is going to be a huge moral booster. Magnesium fire starter, Corsair 16GB flash drive (water and shockproof, with all important documents) camel back hydration systems and as much food as you can find space for. If the SDHTF, you want to avoid people or the masses at all cost. More then likely that is going to be your biggest problem. So the less resources you half to go find the more time you have to work on surviving. Your bag is good as it sits. These suggestion are things that I find important. Happy outfitting

ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    Ditch the space blanket and get a USGI poncho liner.:yesway:
    Ditch the Quarters.

Two more pairs of socks.
    Two more pistol mags.

Other than that, looks good.

Good thoughts and agree - However, the 90% silver quarters were added with the thought that the monetary (fiat) system will have broken down and at some point I may have to barter for a necessity... Thanks for the input!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Socks as another poster said.I would also pack a small stove.Having a fire is great,but generally there is going to be smoke.I have one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Vapor-liquid-butane-Expedition/dp/B000P3KHLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1298236151&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel (liquid and butane) Expedition Stove: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] they are cheaper now than when i purchased it(now $99).They will burn anything almost,even used motor oil.Adjusting them to your fuel is VERY simple.The burner cup rotates and changes the air flow.You just adjust it until you have a nice blue flame.Very well made.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Zip lock bags. They take up no space (almost) and they become real handy when the salt container gets a leak, or the soap gets wet, or whatever you have to keep the TP dry fails, or when you find some food source that you want to bring along but not have it get everything stinky, or.......

cedarhillfarms11

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    Looks pretty good. I would consider adding some aspirin of your choice and possibly some kind of diarrhea control or preventer. Headaches and the runs won't help anybody in a bad situation.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    May I suggest a GI wool blanket, if conditions get very cold, it will help keep you warm even if wet. I have one in my pack and have it in a vacuum bag to help save space and keep dry.

Also 12oz (more if you can store it) of rubbing alcohol, and a coke can stove, 12oz's will get you almost 12 5 minute runs that can effectively boil 24 oz's of water to cook food. I know people want to carry a portable white gas (or substitute fuel) in the pack, but I'm not keen on carrying anything in a pack that one mistake can end your day or life.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    this post got me around to putting my supplies together in a pack. Here are some items I have added (along w/ the TP and ziplock bags). Most of these items are small and were able to fill the little gaps:

- 2 AA batteries
    - rubber bands of various sizes
    - 6 quick ties (the plastic zip tie things)
    - some tylenol, allergy meds, and heartburn meds
    - some tea packets
    - 5 white emergency candles
    - cotton balls in a ziplock bag for fire starting/misc purposes
    - hand-crank powered flashlight
    - 40 rd 7.62x39 magazine for ak-47 (ok this wasn't necessarily 'small' but it suits my purposes)

I'm lining the backpack w/ a contractor plastic bag to make the main compartment more watertight, and to be more efficient in use of space.

dreingar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    No one ever mentions binoculars. I think these are a must. Not just tactical, the lens can focus sunlight to burn/start fires and other uses.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    No one ever mentions binoculars. I think these are a must. Not just tactical, the lens can focus sunlight to burn/start fires and other uses.

lol. just what i was about to say. I didn't see flash light neither :dunno: may i suggest this wonder little light. Pak-Lite's Official Website - Pak-Lite's Official Website

you might want to also add some sort of saw to your pack. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survival-Technologies-SaberCut-Black/dp/B001H9N8C0]Amazon.com: Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw (Black): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Also i got this need little tool. It has a compass, little magnifying glass & a whistle. I got it at the gun show for like $2. You can find little gadges like that cheap on ebay or amazon
    Like this one- [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Logic-SVC1B-Magnification-Translucent/dp/B001CNQQ8O/ref=sr_1_13?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312291063&sr=1-13]Amazon.com: Tool Logic SVC1B Survival Card Tool With 1/2 Serrated Knife, Fire Starter, Whistle, Compass and Magnification Lens, Translucent Blue: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

or: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Outdoors-Survival-Whistle-Magnifier-Flashlight/dp/B001C31AGC/ref=sr_1_37?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312291114&sr=1-37]Amazon.com: 6-in-1 Outdoors Survival Mini Kit (Whistle + Compass + Magnifier + LED Flashlight + more): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

A nice little gadget is nice.

Also i didn't see a shovel in ur list.

As for a radio i'll go with the FR500 Product Card
    This is what you get:
    AM (520-1700 KHz), FM (88-108 MHz), Shortwave (6000-12100 KHz)
    NOAA weather – all 7 channels plus “Alert”
    Siren and Flashlight
    Can be powered from four different sources:
    From the built-in rechargeable Ni-MH battery that takes charge from the dynamo crank and from an AC adapter (not included)
    From 3 AA batteries (not included)
    From the AC adapter alone (not included)
    From solar power
    Analog frequency dial with digital display
    Built-in cell phone charger
    Digital clock function

And it only weighs 3lbs

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Personal preference rules, of course, but I would have said that a wool blanket is pretty bulky to carry inside a pack, and I don't think it's any warmer than a poncho/poncho liner combo - which also retains its insulating value when wet.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Personal preference rules, of course, but I would have said that a wool blanket is pretty bulky to carry inside a pack, and I don't think it's any warmer than a poncho/poncho liner combo - which also retains its insulating value when wet.

What i do is i roll the wool blanket inside the sleeping bag.

There are many ways to save space. For example, insert your socks inside your boots/shoes that are inside your back pack. It saves space.

Top Bottom