• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I would like some advice on setting up my own outdoor shooting range for personal use. I have been looking at property in and around the indiana area. Specifically something remote that has preferably some wooded area and hills, as well as a long straight away for the .50 of course. I currently am not a hunter but depending on the land would love to take that up as well. I would like some advice from people that have done this in terms of rules and regulations and if you guys could recommend places to purchase or if you are selling land that would fit this description. I do not have an unlimited budget but after talking with a couple other friends they wanted to go in on this as well. We are sick of going to ranges paying fees, getting 20 min intervals to shoot, and only being able to shoot at a select lot of targets. Look forward to your responses and thanks in advance for the help.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I would like some advice on setting up my own outdoor shooting range for personal use. I have been looking at property in and around the indiana area. Specifically something remote that has preferably some wooded area and hills, as well as a long straight away for the .50 of course. I currently am not a hunter but depending on the land would love to take that up as well. I would like some advice from people that have done this in terms of rules and regulations and if you guys could recommend places to purchase or if you are selling land that would fit this description. I do not have an unlimited budget but after talking with a couple other friends they wanted to go in on this as well. We are sick of going to ranges paying fees, getting 20 min intervals to shoot, and only being able to shoot at a select lot of targets. Look forward to your responses and thanks in advance for the help.

Partners and ownership by committee is nothing but a big PITA and not worth it unless it lowers your cost to the point you feel you could walk away from it all when you get fed up with "partners".

I'd NEVER buy anything again that has an easement of any kind nor any thing that requires an easement to gain access.

Last if there are ANY governmental rules of any kind controlling or restricting what you can do with your property or put you under the thumb of neighbors or other residents of the county, ie zoning, keep looking.

The best way to lose a friend is to make them a partner.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any land thats zoned agricultural fair game for a shooting range? Seems I heard that somewhere.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any land thats zoned agricultural fair game for a shooting range? Seems I heard that somewhere.
    That's correct, if it's zoned ag, or not zoned at all it's free game, do whatever you want to. Areas zoned otherwise may still be free game.

IMHO, if there aren't any restriction on the title, zoning issues etc. go for it. That is how we did it. Just put the backstop in and start shooting. Nobody has said anything in the last 5 years we've had our range.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I dont know where you live but there is a new long range shooting range that opened up recently around the Lagrange area/ Can try to find the name but believe membership is $350 a year

Top Bottom