• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Hello! I am new to the forums here and a new gun owner in general. I recently picked up a rifle and am desperate to get as much trigger time as I can. I live in Whitestown on the NW side of Indy. I am looking for land that I can go shooting and set up a few targets to go through. Does anybody know of any areas that would be worth checking out?

Sorry if this has already been asked before.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    If you were closer to me, I'd be happy to have you come over to my range. Welcome to the hobby and INGO.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Every state has a rifle and pistol association. It is the local arm of the NRA. Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association. ISRPA
    There should be a club listing on the website..

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/indiana-state-rifle-pistol-association/

Here is Illinois in case you don't mind traveling.
    http://www.isra.org/

And Ohio....
    http://www.orpa.net/ Probably the prettiest 600 yard rifle range anywhere is at Miami Rifle Club near Cincinatti.

And Michigan
    http://www.michrpa.org/

One of my favorite ranges is North Star rifle club in Red Wing Minnesota. The rifle range in Bailey Colorado is the most awesome rifle range anywhere....I am kind of a hard core rifle shooter though....it might not be for you.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Shooting

Hello! I am new to the forums here and a new gun owner in general. I recently picked up a rifle and am desperate to get as much trigger time as I can. I live in Whitestown on the NW side of Indy. I am looking for land that I can go shooting and set up a few targets to go through. Does anybody know of any areas that would be worth checking out?

Sorry if this has already been asked before.

I think it would be helpfull if you would provide more information about yourself and/or your shooting goals, what type of rifle, etc.

There's a big difference between shooting a .22 rifle and a large caliber long range (.30 or above). Do you want to shoot 50 ft. slow fire, 100 yard bench rest, or 300 yard coyote zero ? It might also be helpful if you were to provide a little personal background - at least on your profile page. this might shed light on common interests in either work, personal life, or hobbies.

The poster who recommended the Boone County Conservation Club probably made the best suggestion. I'm not sure if they have a website but I would suggest you do a search under the club name on this site. I know there has been a thread on here before. They have a rifle/pistol range - nothing fancy and I think they require slow fire. You may have to share the range with other shooters but it is rarely crowded from my past experience.

There are other ranges in Indiana - Fall Creek Valley outside of Anderson and Camp Atterburry for example. Both quite a drive and not economical with today's gas prices. You could try the new indoor range in Westfied as I believe they allow rifle shooting - but distance is limited and shooting is offhand with no bench available.

If you've just purchased your first firearm you might want to ensure that you understand safe gun handling skill requirement and the basic tenets of gun safety in general. Perhaps what you really need is a mentor - hopefully you will find someone to fill that gap.

I hope you are able to find locations to shoot and experience the benefits of the shooting sports.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    My rifle is a Colt LE6920 Ar15. I am shooting .223. I guess I am not as new as you think. I have been to a few ranges in IN. Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield (I have grown to hate this place). I have been to Atterbury, and also Beech Grove Firearms. Out of these my favorite is BGF. I am not looking for ranges though. I am looking for LAND that is legal to shoot on. Whether that is a wide open field, some woods, ect. I realize that my best bet is to know someone that owns the land, but my question is if there is any PUBLIC land that would suit what I am looking for.

Danno74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    Zionsville
    I am a retired USAF pilot/Army reservist. I'm looking for information about the Boone County CC because I live in Zionsville. I've got a 30-06 Model 1943 O3A3 and an M1 Garand that I need to bore sight and shoot some reloads for data. On a 100 yd range I can use NRA targets that are sized to allow shooting out to 200 & 300 yards. I think this is likely the limit of my eye sight, so then I may have to mount scopes on both rifles. I'm also a pistol shooter and want to practice at shorter ranges: .45ACP, .380, and .22.

Doc

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am a retired USAF pilot/Army reservist. I'm looking for information about the Boone County CC because I live in Zionsville. I've got a 30-06 Model 1943 O3A3 and an M1 Garand that I need to bore sight and shoot some reloads for data. On a 100 yd range I can use NRA targets that are sized to allow shooting out to 200 & 300 yards. I think this is likely the limit of my eye sight, so then I may have to mount scopes on both rifles. I'm also a pistol shooter and want to practice at shorter ranges: .45ACP, .380, and .22.

Doc

Doc, maybe you aren't aware but the beauty of the NRA high-power Bullseye target is that it gets bigger at the longer ranges. The 1000 yard target looks the same as the 100 yard target and every range in between because of the varying size of the black. Scopes are not needed because of extended range.

Danno74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    Zionsville
    GRANDMASTER<

I understand your point about the target sizes at various ranges, but I tried looking through the peep sight on my 03A3 and things were mighty fuzzy through my glasses. The sights on the M1 were a lot "friendlier". I plan to work on basics at 100 yds, including scaled targers per NRA specs for 200 and 300 yds before I go to one of the ranges that has distances out to 500 or 1,000. I'll give it a year with iron sights on both weapons before I scope either one. I think that the 03A3 may be the best candidate because it can shoot a much larger variety of bullet weights than my Garand, even with a modified gas port plug. Putting a scope on my M1 gets into a lot more changes that just installing the S&K scope mount for the 03A3. If you know how I can contact the Boone County CC I'd really appreciate the information. They are within easy driving distance from my house.

Danno74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    Zionsville
    You make a good point. I'm thinking about the NRA 'scaled' down sizes for use at 100, 200, and 300 yards when the target is an actual 100 yds. from the firing line. I know that there are a few places with 200+ yards, but if I can't make it a 'day trip' then I wanted to get some decent practice at a 100-yard facility.

Top Bottom