• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I didn't know whether to put this here or the Break Room. I bought a fishing boat, and I screwed it up. I'm hoping someone here can help me, as the local boat places want $100 just to look at it. Well I only paid $550 for the boat. So, here it is:

------------

First, this motor is a 1970 Johnson outboard 50HP.

I bought a boat on saturday. The guy had fired it up with his battery and it ran great.

It didn't come with a battery, so I bought a new marine battery. When I got to the lake saturday night, I hooked the new battery up and unbeknownst to me, it was hooked up backwards. After finding that it wouldn't start, I realised this and hooked it back up properly.

It had a solenoid to start it, and I know I fried that. I was able to bypass it by using a knife and after a few tries with the choke, it fired right up and ran for the 10-15 minutes it took to get where I needed to go.

I left it overnight and the next afternoon tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. Checked all 2 fuses I see and both seem fine. It's getting fuel; when I pulled hte plug it was wet with fuel.

It doesn't seem to be getting spark at all. It IS turning over. The starter seems to be functioning properly and it tries and tries to no avail.

I know the solenoid is fried and I can replace that. What else did I fry? Any diagnostics I can do myself?

Note: I did use the search function and found that I probably fried my rectifier, but that wouldn't prevent spark. It wasn't my model motor and I while I am somewhat mechanically minded, I don't know boat motors very well.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Not sure if these will help or not?

OMC Rectifier - hooked batt up backwards - iboats Boating Forums

I have 1970 Johnson Outboard motor. I hooked up the battery backwards and now it won't start. Any ideas? - Yahoo! Answers

I've had to go to the internet for help more than once on boat motors. There's a few forums that might help, you'll just have to find them.

Good luck!

Thanks. I actually have read those and I know my rectifier is fried, but that won't prevent it from getting spark. I have a post up on the iboats forum but haven't received a single reply :n00b:

LOWE1600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Ive rebult a few Johnson motors try the simple things first new plugs,fully charged battery check each coil should be two of them, I did this same thing my self this year I found a burnt wire near the fuse box I was lucky didnt seem to hurt rectifier. Good luck

Top Bottom