• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    About two months ago, I purchased a firearm via Gunbroker. It was from New Jersey and was a steal of a deal (and hopefully the gun ain't stolen). I hadn't purchased a gun from out-of-state for a few years now. I used to use a guy named Dave. He ran a gun store in New Palestine called Dave's Gun Shop, and a few times they were at the 1500. Later, he moved his store to his home which was located in far northern Shelby County just off St. Rd. 9. They would only charge $10.00 for transfer fees, and I never had an issue getting him to mail an FFL for me.

Well, I got on this site to find a dealer to do the transfer. I realized that many won't take guns from private parties. I understand why this is. Thankfully I found a store that would and everything went great. Fast forward, I find another deal on-line from a private party. The store I last used has now gotten to the point they don't want to send out their FFL to just anyone. Thankfully that issue is now resolved.

The purpose of this post is to give folks a warning that more and more FFLs don't want to either accept guns from private individuals and/or don't want to send out copies of their FFL. The reasons I have read are as follows:
    -The private individual won't send the reburied paperwork.
    -Reports of people using copies of FFLs fraudulently trying to buy guns on the FFL.

The guy from New Jersey told me that if I could find an FFL that he could ship to directly, it would add another $50. He said that some FFLs in New Jersey will flat out refuse to take in, then ship out, and firearm. They fear anything that goes wrong will get their license (state or federal I don't know) yanked. He said those that will do it will want at least $50, which would include the store paying the shipping.

With all these hassles, I doubt I will be buying anymore firearms on-line anytime soon. If anyone here knows of a more painless process, I am all ears. One thing I thought of was that an FFL here could just provide their license number and the person could verify it on the ATF website, but I am not sure if that shows address or not. I also should point out that my most recent seller wanted a copy for his records, to protect himself if something should go wrong.

Opinions?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    EZ check if used negates the "Reports of people using copies of FFLs fraudulently trying to buy guns on the FFL"
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

And yes EZ check provides and verifies the address as well.

Some advice:
    Don't deal with buyers or sellers in the ban type of states: MA, MD, NJ, CA, IL, HI, NY, etc.

Get all your bases covered before you decide to purchase a firearm online. Also establish a good relationship with your FFL dealer; it makes it a lot more painless.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I use GunBroker as much as my wallet will allow me to. While the place I use dosen't have a problem with private party purchase, it has only been one time for me. Almost all the firearms I purchased from another ffl holder. My ffl holder charges $30 each time. I have had several items at once and all were covered under the $30.

As stated "Also establish a good relationship with your FFL dealer; it makes it a lot more painless." - very true. When packages with my name come on it, they already now that I'll be in soon to pay for and I have LTCH, etc and everything is smooth and out the door.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It's been several years since I let my FFL go but I must have missed something. The guy in NJ has to send the gun from a NJ FFL doesn't he?
    The person you bought the gun from should never see the copy of the Indiana FFL. Can only ship from FFL to FFL was the way it used to be.:dunno:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    It's been several years since I let my FFL go but I must have missed something. The guy in NJ has to send the gun from a NJ FFL doesn't he?
    The person you bought the gun from should never see the copy of the Indiana FFL. Can only ship from FFL to FFL was the way it used to be.:dunno:

A private party can ship to a licensed dealer out of state.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom