• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I'll advise to get your Utah, like I did, or Florida Non-resident permit to go along with your Indiana one. It will give you more states to carry in.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Check out this link.
    http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf
    It is the actual SC ruling. Page 8 states that a glove compartment and front or rear console constitutes a case. Several pages later they rule that a valid carry license from the person's home state, in this case Indiana for defendant, satisfies the FOID requirement. They pretty well spank the trial and appellate courts.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm driving to Texas in 3 weeks.

I assume (without skimming through the details regarding Texas), that I'll have to conceal carry while I'm there?

+1 Rep to whoever just gives me an answer since I'm feeling too lazy to search it while I'm typing this from my phone.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County

I assume (without skimming through the details regarding Texas), that I'll have to conceal carry while I'm there?

+1 Rep to whoever just gives me an answer since I'm feeling too lazy to search it while I'm typing this from my phone.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf
    I actually Just bookmarked this as I was thinking about maybe heading to Texas for a day as well. Page 70 states that it a 25 dollar fine for "printing"

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    On illiinios, while the subject keeps being brought up. My brother has offered numerous times to sell me his xdm that bc he lives there now he has little use for. It would be legal to transport it by breaking it down into pieces( a nonfunctional state) with no ammo in the car and the pieces in a case correct?

ILLINOIS HAS SANE TRANSPORT LAWS :patriot:

Seriously you need to read the ILLINOIS LAWS they are better, in some ways, than the INDIANA LAWS when it comes to transport.

You can carry, unloaded, in your glovebox with a full magazines next to your gun in the state of Illinois. Ditto the armrest of your car. Can't do that in INDIANA unless you have a LTCH.

This has been discussed several times, with links to the IL court cases, links to the IL state police guidelines, etc.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    To the OP, Handgun Law is your friend.

Good advice on this one.

Also, for mobile use you should try the app called:

"CCW-Concealed Carry 50 State"

I've found it to be very accurate.

You can put in the licenses that you hold and it will show reciprocal states. It shows FAQ's for each state such as Duty to Inform and no-carry zones, etc. And it gives links to the complete code so you can read state laws for yourself. Great tool for travel...Hope it helps!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

Let me know if you don't have time to call an attorney when you're busted for something you coulda checked. I'd be glad to look one up and send it to you (assuming you still have your cell in "bubba's fun house.") :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'll advise to get your Utah, like I did, or Florida Non-resident permit to go along with your Indiana one. It will give you more states to carry in.

It won't help Boost Lee, as the turnaround is about 8 weeks at the present time, but the AZ is a better, less expensive alternative.

I recently looked it up: AZ and FL both give 8 more states, UT gives 7.
    AZ: DE, KS, NE, NV, NM, OH, VA, WV
    FL: DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA,WA, WV
    UT: DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV

FL $117, almost any firearms education counts, renewal is $107 after 7 yrs.
    UT $65, requires a specific class (~$100), renewal is $15 after 5 yrs.
    AZ $60, almost any firearms education counts, renewal is $43 after 5 yrs.

Blessings,
    Bill

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It won't help Boost Lee, as the turnaround is about 8 weeks at the present time, but the AZ is a better, less expensive alternative.

Blessings,
    Bill

Awesome post! Did not know that AZ was so easy and inexpensive, thanks!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ATTENTION

DO NOT USE THE LINK IN THE POST QUOTED BELOW. IT GOES TO AN OUTDATED (10 YEAR OLD) VERSION OF THE TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE STATUTES. TEXAS CHL LAW HAS CHANGED SIGNIFICANTLY SINCE THEN.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf
    I actually Just bookmarked this as I was thinking about maybe heading to Texas for a day as well. Page 70 states that it a 25 dollar fine for "printing"

The current version of this booklet is here:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

If you refer to the booklet make sure you read the whole thing. Texas statutes are sometimes a bit convoluted, and it is easy to miss exceptions to certain laws. For example, at first read it might appear that it is illegal to carry under authority of a CHL in a church or hospital. Read a couple paragraphs down, and you find out this is only true if the church or hospital "provides notice" according to specific requirements of the law. (and a "gun-buster sign does not provide notice in Texas).

Also note that "printing" is not recognized legal term or crime in Texas. Failure to conceal is.

The Texas statutory definition (Government Code 411.171) of a "'concealed handgun' means a handgun. the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person."

The only cases I am aware of where someone was actually convicted of failing to conceal were pretty blatant, e.g. putting the handgun on the dash of a car to intimidate someone (Texas does not have a crime of "brandishing" either. Most peace officers in Texas are cool with CHL carry; like anyplace there are a few knotheaded cops who like to make trouble where unnecessary and have harassed CHL holders.

There is a Texas forum where CHL stuff is specifically discussed, and it is run by one of the Texas State Rifle Association key people who works with the legislature on 2A issues (altho it is not a TSRA site). It is TexasCHLforum.com

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan

Blessings,=QUOTE]

I like the advice but have to say I was frustrated by AZ. I took a class and used the certificate to apply for UT, FL & AZ. Received UT, FL without a question.

Declined by AZ. Same exact information sent to all 3. Told them to lump it because of the hassle.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Blessings,

I like the advice but have to say I was frustrated by AZ. I took a class and used the certificate to apply for UT, FL & AZ. Received UT, FL without a question.

Declined by AZ. Same exact information sent to all 3. Told them to lump it because of the hassle.

Interesting. I thought UT required their own class exclusively, and I know AZ accepts that. Curiosity: Why did you apply for all three when FL gets you nothing the other two don't?

Blessings,
    Bill

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Utah does require their own class. I have read that Arizona does accept the Utah class, but I don't know that to be fact. I do know that their training requirement is similar to Florida's.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Some info on AZ
    6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:
    (a) A current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.
    (b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.
    (c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 5 of this section.
    (d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
    1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
    2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
    3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
    5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
    6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
    7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
    Link where that came from:Arizona Revised Statutes - Arizona Department of Public Safety

AZ DPS CWW Unit contact info: Contact Us: Concealed Weapons Permit Unit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Interesting. I thought UT required their own class exclusively, and I know AZ accepts that. Curiosity: Why did you apply for all three when FL gets you nothing the other two don't?

Blessings,
    Bill

You are correct. I really should not have wasted the money. At the time, I mistakenly thought that FL would get me NV. The gentleman that taught the class provided info/documents for both UT And FL.

Momma always told me I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed...:n00b:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Utah does require their own class. I have read that Arizona does accept the Utah class, but I don't know that to be fact. I do know that their training requirement is similar to Florida's.

I thought I was told recently that Arizona did not issue licenses/permits to non-residents.

I have been wrong before.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

With the help of esrice (who provided the room) and minuteman32 (who instructed), I organized a UT class shortly after I joined here and had the pleasure of meeting several INGOers at that time. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...da_non_resident_concealed_carry_permit-3.html I'm guessing Dwight took one of those classes and applied it to FL, but I can't imagine why AZ would decline on that basis unless it was some time back and their criteria changed.

When I called AZ to get my application packet for the AZ permit, I specifically asked about the UT class and they said it was acceptable. I confirmed that when I got and was filling out the packet, before I sent it back. When I get my permit in, I'll be able to say it not based on someone else's word but on having the permit in hand.

Blessings,
    Bill

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County

Blessings,=QUOTE]

I haven't applied to AZ yet but plan on doing it next year. For the training I believe I am eligible bc of military service.

Top Bottom