• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Couldn't find anything in the search. Indiana honors all other states permits. Does this allow concealed carry only permit holders from another state, (Texas for example,) to carry openly while in Indiana? The license for Texas is a Concealed Handgun License and not an LTCH like in Indiana so I wasn't sure if open carry would be acceptable.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We do not all other states permits. We automatically honor any other state that honors ours. The problem with most other states is they will not honor ours because we allow 18 year olds to carry. As to the rest I am not sure.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    We do not all other states permits. We automatically honor any other state that honors ours. The problem with most other states is they will not honor ours because we allow 18 year olds to carry. As to the rest I am not sure.

That is incorrect. Indiana honors ALL licenses and permits (even foreign).

Indiana honors licenses and permits at FACE VALUE, so if it is a "Concealed Carry Permit" it must be concealed. If it does not specify, they can carry however they wish.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon

Indiana honors all permits for carry. There is no reciprocity requirement.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    That is incorrect. Indiana honors ALL licenses and permits (even foreign).

Indiana honors licenses and permits at FACE VALUE, so if it is a "Concealed Carry Permit" it must be concealed. If it does not specify, they can carry however they wish.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info!

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Actually the individual must follow the laws of the state their permit was issued in. So if the permit doesn't state they must still follow the laws of the issuing state.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Actually the individual must follow the laws of the state their permit was issued in. So if the permit doesn't state they must still follow the laws of the issuing state.

That is also incorrect. You follow the laws of the state you are in.

The only thing that matters from the originating state is whether their permit/license specifies how it can be carried.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

William, who told you this? Just curious, like to chase rumors.

The problem with most other states is they will not honor ours because we allow 18 year olds to carry.

Who told you this? Are you learning this at a gun shop by chance?

No, they follow the laws of Indiana, but must carry according to the terms of their license. Let's look at that statute:

Indiana Code 35-47-2-21

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

So, the Florida license requires you to wear black socks and sandals, wear oversized sunglasses and eat dinner at 4:30 PM. Thus, to legally carry in Indiana you follow Indiana law by carrying according to the terms of the Florida license.

Here we see a typical Florida resident visiting Indiana and NOT complying with 35-47-2-21(b) (note the lack of oversized sunglasses which is a term of the Florida license).

Leo-golf-cart-3.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Let me explain it this way...

It is illegal to carry a handgun in the state of Indiana. An exemption is those who have a license or permit to carry a handgun. Our LTCH does not say anything about how we must carry it. A Utah permit on the other hand is a "Concealed Firearm Permit". So their permit only exempts them if they are carrying concealed. Indiana cannot enforce another state's laws, we can only enforce ours. So the only thing that matters from the originating state is what the license/permit says they are allowed to do. If a state issues a permit to carry a purple derringer taped to your forehead... you better be carrying a purple derringer taped to your forehead, otherwise you are breaking IN law.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I do find it surprising that questions that have been answered so many times on this forum can still get responses from people offering up incorrect advice.

If you haven't read the Indiana code in its entirety (or at least everything relevant to firearms) you should NOT answer people's questions regarding the laws. I think reading Ciyou's book should also be a prerequisite to answering any questions about IN laws.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    If you haven't read the Indiana code in its entirety (or at least everything relevant to firearms) you should NOT answer people's questions regarding the laws. I think reading Ciyou's book should also be a prerequisite to answering any questions about IN laws.

I think I should probably pick up a copy of that book as well! :D

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I do find it surprising that questions that have been answered so many times on this forum can still get responses from people offering up incorrect advice.

Wow, you were wrong and then you make this post?

You must obey Indiana's laws while following the laws of the issuing state. i.e Your state does not allow you to carry concealed, Your permit from you state then only allows you to carry openly.

Your statements were incorrect, so before you make this statement please consider your own remarks.

Just because the permit is not called a CCW does not mean jack squat.

We honor valid permits that are issued by other states or countries according to the terms "thereof".

You were wrong..... Wrong wrong wrong.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Since the laws in all other states clearly state that you must abide by the law of the state you are in....then IN laws apply to my MN permit when I am in IN. In Utah, open carry is legal without a permit, that's where that particular confusion comes from......I THINK.....

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Let me explain it this way...

It is illegal to carry a handgun in the state of Indiana. An exemption is those who have a license or permit to carry a handgun. Our LTCH does not say anything about how we must carry it. A Utah permit on the other hand is a "Concealed Firearm Permit". So their permit only exempts them if they are carrying concealed. Indiana cannot enforce another state's laws, we can only enforce ours. So the only thing that matters from the originating state is what the license/permit says they are allowed to do. If a state issues a permit to carry a purple derringer taped to your forehead... you better be carrying a purple derringer taped to your forehead, otherwise you are breaking IN law.

Not all states issue the terms of the permit on the permit... So while this statement is correct, violating the issuing states carry laws is a violation of Indiana Code.

If you are issued a permit in Main to carry a gun, but the law states you must carry it in your sock... When you are issued the permit you agree to follow those laws. Thus carrying a gun in Indiana not in your sock is still a violation of Indiana law... Just because it is called "handgun permit" means nothing it is the terms under which you are issued the license.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You must obey Indiana's laws while following the laws of the issuing state.

Not quite. You must obey Indiana's laws while following the terms of your state's license. E.g. Texas requires concealment and mandates self-loader or revolver (or both).

Carry like you are in Texas while in Indiana. Here is a typical Texan carrying in Indiana:

images

Note while this Texan does have the required big hat and string tie according to the Texas license, he is not concealing and thus is not in compliance with Indiana law.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Since the laws in all other states clearly state that you must abide by the law of the state you are in....then IN laws apply to my MN permit when I am in IN. In Utah, open carry is legal without a permit, that's where that particular confusion comes from......I THINK.....

You are not granted any exemption without a permit. You don't follow the laws of the state you are from, you follow the ones pertaining to the permit.

If no permit is required you do not get the option to do so in Indiana because Indiana law forbids it without a permit.

Indiana honors permits from other states, they do not honor the laws of that state. You follow the restrictions you agreed to when being issued the permit, if no permit was issued then you have no exception.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Not quite. You must obey Indiana's laws while following the terms of your state's license. E.g. Texas requires concealment and mandates self-loader or revolver (or both).

Carry like you are in Texas while in Indiana. Here is a typical Texan carrying in Indiana:

images

Note while this Texan does have the required big hat and string tie according to the Texas license, he is not concealing and thus is not in compliance with Indiana law.

Typically the permit is issued under the terms you follow the law of the issuing state. It's a relatively moot argument because they mean the same thing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not really. The laws can be quite different than the terms of the license.

Let's stick with Texas, yeeeeehhhhaaawww.

In Tejas one cannot carry into a bar (the goofy 51% law), but this goofy law is not a term of the license. In Indiana one can carry into a bar.

A visitor from Houston is free to carry into a bar in Indianapolis as long as he conceals, carries the required semi-auto or revolver that his license mandates, talks about how everything is bigger in Tejas, wears elf boots and a big hat.

Here are some Texans doing what they do in bars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFOzlezUhrI

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Not really. The laws can be quite different than the terms of the license.

Let's stick with Texas, yeeeeehhhhaaawww.

In Tejas one cannot carry into a bar (the goofy 51% law), but this goofy law is not a term of the license. In Indiana one can carry into a bar.

A visitor from Houston is free to carry into a bar in Indianapolis as long as he conceals, carries the required semi-auto or revolver that his license mandates, talks about how everything is bigger in Tejas, wears elf boots and a big hat.

If the issuing terms of the permit indicate you agree to follow all applicable laws, then no technically he cannot carry into a bar in Indiana. Is that an enforceable restriction? Probably not.

Top Bottom