• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Devin doesn't know how his products are made it sounds like and then passes on bad info. I was looking around and it looks like the Pathfinder hawk is just a rebranded 2hawks Longhunter.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    IMG_0738.jpg

Very granular..............

Now, look at the two below picture of forged steel cranks out of a car engine.

Notice the difference? The forged steel has surface fractures like chunks of glass.
    hrdp_1104_03_o+what_breaks_in_2005_2011_ford_mustangs+crank_snapped.jpg

203501d1299373798-broken-crankshaft-harmonic-chatter-broken-crank.jpeg

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I am very disappointed..!!!! I was told by Devin at the October 1500 that the hawks were in fact forge by him..!!! If I was told that they cast the heads I would not have purchased one.. Hmm..???? what to do..???

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OK, my Google-Fu is very strong + I just spoke to a knowledgeable buddy about these.

I think we're blowing this way out of proportion. If you listen to the guy in that last video + what Devin said at the booth these are "forged by craftsmen". What that means is these are made the old fashioned 1800's blacksmith way by hand heating and hand hammering. These are not forged blank planks of steel. The hand hammering *IS* the forging process. So if he started with a specific grade of steel, even if it was cast, then torch heated and hand hammered & quenched it, the metal is still "forged". I found plenty of sword making references + my machinist & sword making family descendant buddy concurred. Some of the more resilient Katana are soft cast in the middle then only hardened near the edges or even have the harder steel folded around the softer cast centers.

This 1800 blacksmithing style also accounts for the slight variations in head centering and shape someone previously mentioned in this thread.

So these are not made like modern day fully forged crankshafts that are placed into giant hydraulic presses. These are made the "old school" way.

Grunt, I think something is either off with his batch of steel or his heat treating technique was flawed. They obviously hold a damn good edge so I think it's the latter. If he takes care of your warranty claim I think I'm good with this hawk.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think we're blowing this way out of proportion. If you listen to the guy in that last video + what Devin said at the booth these are "forged by craftsmen". What that means is these are made the old fashioned 1800's blacksmith way by hand heating and hand hammering.

These are not forged blank planks of steel. The hand hammering *IS* the forging process. So if he started with a specific grade of steel, even if it was cast, then torch heated and hand hammered & quenched it, the metal is still "forged"......

This 1800 blacksmithing style also accounts for the slight variations in head centering and shape someone previously mentioned in this thread.

So these are not made like modern day fully forged crankshafts that are placed into giant hydraulic presses. These are made the "old school" way.

Still, when I think of "forged" I think of the blacksmith beating a lump into
    the final shape, not doing finishing work on a cast part.
    :dunno:

We were told they were made of spring steel & that's what it says on their website.
    "All our Tomahawks are made of 6150 spring steel. Oil hardened and tempered to a rock-well of 57 making them a very durable hawk that holds an excellent edge. Heads are made from our own designs and patents Polaris Trading Co. and all are finished with gun barrel bluing."

CUSTOM TOMAHAWKS

It just seems the advertising does not match my expectations of forged.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    OK, my Google-Fu is very strong + I just spoke to a knowledgeable buddy about these.

I think we're blowing this way out of proportion. If you listen to the guy in that last video + what Devin said at the booth these are "forged by craftsmen". What that means is these are made the old fashioned 1800's blacksmith way by hand heating and hand hammering. These are not forged blank planks of steel. The hand hammering *IS* the forging process. So if he started with a specific grade of steel, even if it was cast, then torch heated and hand hammered & quenched it, the metal is still "forged". I found plenty of sword making references + my machinist & sword making family descendant buddy concurred. Some of the more resilient Katana are soft cast in the middle then only hardened near the edges or even have the harder steel folded around the softer cast centers.

Grunt, I think something is either off with his batch of steel or his heat treating technique was flawed. They obviously hold a damn good edge so I think it's the latter. If he takes care of your warranty claim I think I'm good with this hawk.

anything is possible I suppose but I was talking to RMJ tactical's owner and they said they did a lot of testing with investment casting for the shrike and they don't handle shock well in cold weather and some other stuff and that is why they chose to forge vs cast.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Ok.. correct me if I am wrong . when something is cast it means that the metal was heated to a point that it melts and then is poured into mold. Forged is taking the metal in whatever form heating and hammering or pounding it into shape.. Yes or no..???

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I've only ever seen iron break in those 'crystal like' formations when it was cast, and usually not cast well instead of forged. The larger the crystal like formations the easier I think it breaks. Large crystals I think are result of not so good casting (temperature, impurity, etc...)
    image282.gif

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I've only ever seen iron break in those 'crystal like' formations when it was cast, and usually not cast well instead of forged. The larger the crystal like formations the easier I think it breaks. Large crystals I think are result of not so good casting (temperature, impurity, etc...)
    image282.gif

and air..????

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    and air..????

I guess so... I'm not a metallurgist by any standard but I'd assume air could have negative effects on the forming of the metal. I've just read that what I've always thought was poorly cast iron is actually described as "Grey cast iron" (the stuff that breaks and looks like grey crystals). It sounds from the various descriptions that you would want any edged tool that was formed from cast iron to be "Ni-hard type 2" instead of "Grey cast". (or better still forged iron)

Wikipedia: Cast Iron

Taking it at face value, as I'm not studied in ironwork.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, doesn't appear I'll be picking up one of these. Shady answers. More questions raised than answered. Too bad, they had cool designs.

Casting, forging, hot metal is hot metal. It's all the same thing. It's like tO-matO and Tow-mAtow.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just FYI... I have laid into my warhawk as hard as I could and all it did was make huge cuts in some water soaked & near frozen hardwoods. I'll keep using it as intended & hopefully never need the warranty. :ingo:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Just FYI... I have laid into my warhawk as hard as I could and all it did was make huge cuts in some water soaked & near frozen hardwoods. I'll keep using it as intended & hopefully never need the warranty. :ingo:

same with my brothers. we have beat on it just like we did mine and his took it all no problems. I hope everyones stands up to any and all abuse they can put the hawks through. the warranty seems solid so far but we will see how long it takes.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wish you the best grunt soldier.

I hope this doesnt take the thread on a tangent but I havent had any problems with my crashaxe...
    512e2cf6.jpg

sem351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Ok.. correct me if I am wrong . when something is cast it means that the metal was heated to a point that it melts and then is poured into mold. Forged is taking the metal in whatever form heating and hammering or pounding it into shape.. Yes or no..???

The way I understand it and have been taught:
    Cast = molten metal poured into a mold (weak)
    Hot forging = red hot metal hammered, rolled, etc. into desired shape (stronger)
    Cold forging = cold metal hammered, rolled, etc. into desired shape (strongest)

cold forgings require lots of power, but are the strongest, thus racing engine parts like cranks, rods, and other parts like chains and chain hooks are made in this method.

I have to agree with printcraft that the pics of the broken hawk look to be cast, probably cast steel.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

This is how I understood it too. The heads are cast from 6150 chrome vandium spring steel, and then hardened, tempered, and sharpened by Devin. This should produce a pretty damn tough tool. Like anything, it can and will fail under the right circumstances and is subject to material flaw. Hopefully he makes good with his warranty, as that is something I mandate out of a quality product with a premium price tag. I still have full faith in the stuff I've bought from him. I've beat the hell out of my Long Hunter, and it is still as sharp as it was when I bought it. In fact, if someone bought a War Hawk or War Beast at the show and doesn't want it anymore, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it. His stuff is quite a bit cheaper at the gun shows than it is online, and I really don't want to wait for the next 1500.

Top Bottom