• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should LTCH employees get to keep a gun in their locked car at work?

• Total voters

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have an open mind,that's why I asked the question. Tell me why.:dunno:

Sorry. I read your question as a rhetorical challenge rather than an inquiry.

Again, I've discussed this thoroughly in another couple of threads and I don't want to draw it out. To sum up:

A business owner can't tell you what to put in your car. He can only tell you what he allows on his property. It is my opinion that - wrongheaded though he may be, and I think he is - he still has the right to say is and is not allowed on his property.

I also find it sadly ironic that the same government which reserves the power to restrict 2nd Amendment rights on government property will be dictating to businessmen what they should do on their PRIVATE property.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted no as a small business owner that has about 10 staff members at any given time.

I have advised my 2 co-owners and our staff members that if they obtain a valid license and have accepted the responsibility of ownership then I do not want it in the parking lot. I expect you to bring it in with you. It should never be left unsecured or potentially unsecured.

^^This

My gun. My responsibility. It stays on or beside me at all times unless I have to go into a place which would land me in "Federal pound me in the :moon: prison". I don't care how you secure it to your car. Even if you weld the slide to the engine block, your car is on wheels & is designed expressly for easy movement.

No, my employer doesn't allow me to carry. But, my employer doesn't take even basic steps to ensure my safety while I'm here, let alone in transit. So, screw their rule. IWB-tuckable solves a lot of problems.

The real issue here are the insurance companies setting corporate policies which infringe upon peoples' RTKBA. Sure free market blah blah blah. In this case, the free market is infringing upon the RTKBA because of public mass hysteria. It's one of the few instances in which our government actually is supposed to step in & intervene. :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    ^^This

My gun. My responsibility. It stays on or beside me at all times unless I have to go into a place which would land me in "Federal pound me in the :moon: prison". I don't care how you secure it to your car. Even if you weld the slide to the engine block, your car is on wheels & is designed expressly for easy movement.

No, my employer doesn't allow me to carry. But, my employer doesn't take even basic steps to ensure my safety while I'm here, let alone in transit. So, screw their rule. IWB-tuckable solves a lot of problems.

The real issue here are the insurance companies setting corporate policies which infringe upon peoples' RTKBA. Sure free market blah blah blah. In this case, the free market is infringing upon the RTKBA because of public mass hysteria. It's one of the few instances in which our government actually is supposed to step in & intervene. :twocents:

When I worked in Indiana, my company had that policy. I didn't leave a weapon in my car, it was in my front pocket.

Now that I work from home again, it is my company's policy to require me to have my CZ on my hip, and my 9mm carbine with 33 rounds in the mag within arm's reach of me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are some states that consider one's vehicle to be an extension of the home. And, therefore, allow people to have their handguns in their vehicles without needing any kind of permit.

THIS is what I wish Indiana would do.

-J-

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There are some states that consider one's vehicle to be an extension of the home. And, therefore, allow people to have their handguns in their vehicles without needing any kind of permit.

-J-

Yep - me too. Relatives of mine visiting this fair state automatically think it's ok to leave their gun in their car since they can't carry it out side the car.

I quickly corrected them on this, of course. They thought it wierd.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

-J-

As do I. This small change would remove any concern I had with a bill of this nature on grounds of property rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    As do I. This small change would remove any concern I had with a bill of this nature on grounds of property rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

But still the question remains about whether you should be able to bring your small, mobile piece of home on to my property.

Reminds me of a sign I saw in Kokomo, about how any car parked in their lot not made by union labor would be towed away.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Conceptually, if my company were to grow in size, and I had to allow this, I may have to:

1)Pay for better more thorough background checks prior to pre-employment.
    2)Address additional security features possibly a manned security and metal detection.
    3)Pay to have the additional insurances that are sure to come along - if workplace insurance has to cover the concept of something bad happening - they'll make you buy it.
    4)Sweat like a pig everytime I have to let someone go - warranted or not - it's a fact of business.
    5)Next time the government wants me to do something on my property against my wishes, this will set a good precedent.

So some of the larger companies will be hogtied into putting more money into security rather than a workforce or productive tools to help them grow. It's a stretch - but this is MY PARKING LOT. My few workers that I have are good guys (I'd trust them to have a gun in their cars), the point is: nobody should be telling me what to do on my property.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    But still the question remains about whether you should be able to bring your small, mobile piece of home on to my property.

Reminds me of a sign I saw in Kokomo, about how any car parked in their lot not made by union labor would be towed away.

Which again, they would have great difficulty enforcing if the car was viewed as an extension of the home. Essentially, anything you could do in your home with impunity, you could do in your car with impunity. Anything that could not be done to your home could not be done to your car. I am not certain how this would interact with the police power to search, however; I'd have to know in what state that ruling originated and if that state views the car as an extension of the home. I do know that in some states, an RV is considered a vehicle when on the road but a residence when in an RV park or otherwise set up to camp.

:dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here in Colorado, I may carry a handgun loaded and concealed in my vehicle or on my person while in a vehicle without a permit. I may carry a rifle in my vehicle, concealed or not, but I may not have a round in the chamber.

I don't know about the employer rule here.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    Several news organizations are conducting polls on their websites regarding the Senate bill, which would allow employees with a LTCH to legally keep a firearm in their car. I thought it was a little strange that we haven't conducted our own poll on the matter, as I'm sure not everyone here sees eye-to-eye.

By the way, I spelled principle wrong...

The IBJ just reported it passed through the NRC and is headed to the Housefloor. yeah!!!

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    Stomped on Rights

I really think this bill doesn't go far enough! If you have an LTCH, you should be able to carry it into the workplace. Or does the LTCH really only mean that you can carry where they ALLOW you to? Yes, I know, dumb question. Typical government ploy....Do as we say, not as we do!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1)Pay for better more thorough background checks prior to pre-employment. The State Police already does this when they issue the LTCH. This is a more thorough check than many employers. I am not a felon, or a wife-beater, or even have a "bad" misdemeanor on my record. No mental defects (a question an employer cannot ask), and an otherwise "proper person".
    2)Address additional security features possibly a manned security and metal detection. Really? Are you that afraid of licensed carriers and your employees? Crooks are already carrying, and you don't check them today...
    3)Pay to have the additional insurances that are sure to come along - if workplace insurance has to cover the concept of something bad happening - they'll make you buy it. I thought the bill was addressing this.
    4)Sweat like a pig everytime I have to let someone go - warranted or not - it's a fact of business. Really? It is already illegal for them to harm you. If you aren't worried today about bats, crowbars, knives, stunguns, pepper spray, or someone making a quick trip home for a weapon, why worry about a "proper person" who has a firearm in their car?
    5)Next time the government wants me to do something on my property against my wishes, this will set a good precedent. Um, they have plenty of precedent. Labor laws, building codes, industry regulation, just to name a few. All of these do the same as this bill: reduce your rights in an effort to protect those of your employees and patrons.

<Snip> It's a stretch - but this is MY PARKING LOT. My few workers that I have are good guys (I'd trust them to have a gun in their cars), the point is: nobody should be telling me what to do on my property.
    I agree. No one can tell me what I keep in my car. No one can enforce a policy that effects me outside of the job. I will happily secure my gun in the car, as long as you let me protect myself and my family outside of work. Deal? :cheers:

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I am split on this, in one way I have the right to bear arms on the other its difficult to tell a private company what people can do on their property.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All decent points eldirector.

But it's still my lot. If I don't want toyotas or anything else there, it's my choice. I can still be jerk if I want.
    If I want to make rules, no matter how absurd, I still have the FREEDOM to do so.
    I'm a small business. This isn't about 2nd amendment rights to me.

I keep a gun in my office. I can - I'm the king of my domain - I've earned it. I'm working hard to preserve it every day.

Top Bottom