• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should LTCH employees get to keep a gun in their locked car at work?

• Total voters

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Several news organizations are conducting polls on their websites regarding the Senate bill, which would allow employees with a LTCH to legally keep a firearm in their car. I thought it was a little strange that we haven't conducted our own poll on the matter, as I'm sure not everyone here sees eye-to-eye.

By the way, I spelled principle wrong...

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    The method should not be as previously stated. The vehicle needs to be declared an extension of the home, and therefore exempt from searches by an employer.

If the police can't search an individual's vehicle without a warrant, why should employers make it a condition of work?

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I don't think it should be limited to LTCH I think the personal vehicle should be treated as an extension of the home with no permit required for any firearm as long as it stays in the vehicle.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    After a lot of mulling over this issue, I agree that the vehicle should be recognized as an extension of the home, as it is already not subject to random search by the employer, what is inside of it should not be a concern to them.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    As I have said in previous threads, these RIGHTS can coexist (private property and right to bear arms). They do not need to be thought of as separate rights. My exercising my right to bear arms does not take away the store owner's right to own private property. These are both constitutional rights NOT to be infringed upon.

In short, YES.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One Basic Problem!

After a lot of mulling over this issue, I agree that the vehicle should be recognized as an extension of the home, as it is already not subject to random search by the employer, what is inside of it should not be a concern to them.
    Indiana is an employment at will state! If an Employer wants to search you vehicle you can refuse, but they can fire you too! As I've had more the one Lawyer say an employer can fire you for wearing a green shirt if the want too. and unless you are protected by a Union or Private contract no judge can make your employer give you your job back! You can still get unemployment if the cause is not just. But your still unemployed! I agree though My car is my personal property and no employer has a right to come into my home univited!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Voted yes. Currently, I could be fired if my employer found I had a gun in my personal vehicle, whether that's during a search or if it got broken into and I reported it amongst the stolen items on a police report. Currently I don't even bother because of this. My safety is their responsibility when I'm on the clock, but that 45 minutes between there and home they don't care about.

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    This is an obvious no-brainer. Businesses have no rights only people do. Businesses merely have privileges that we grant them we can give them and we can them away. That's the one fact people tend to forget.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    This is an obvious no-brainer. Businesses have no rights only people do. Businesses merely have privileges that we grant them we can give them and we can them away. That's the one fact people tend to forget.

Actually, I couldn't possibly disagree more. How do you grant businesses anything? I think a privately owned business should be able to do just about anything they want with their own property as long as it doesn't harm others.

Can I take away your business or home if I want to? No, because it isn't mine and I don't grant you any PRIVATE property. You earned it and you alone own it.

I also believe that any business who has stupid policies, such as, LTCH holders can't keep a loaded handgun in their locked vehicle in the company parking lot, should be boycotted, but I don't necessary agree that we should make a law telling them what to do with their private property. This instance differs a little bit from a normal issue, because it involves our right to keep and bear arms though.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I voted no

I voted no as a small business owner that has about 10 staff members at any given time.

I have advised my 2 co-owners and our staff members that if they obtain a valid license and have accepted the responsibility of ownership then I do not want it in the parking lot. I expect you to bring it in with you. It should never be left unsecured or potentially unsecured.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I voted no as a small business owner that has about 10 staff members at any given time.

I have advised my 2 co-owners and our staff members that if they obtain a valid license and have accepted the responsibility of ownership then I do not want it in the parking lot. I expect you to bring it in with you. It should never be left unsecured or potentially unsecured.
    I meant this one.Other than this response,why would anyone vote "no"?:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My rep is John Barnes(D) I believe. The person the answered the phone said he is in support of it.. We'll see.. :dunno:

Here's the roll call vote of the committee.

What "We'll see" is whether or not Pat Bauer allows these bills to come to a vote on the House floor. In the absence of those votes being allowed, we will see precisely nothing... kinda like last year when this came up and so many state Senators (42-8!) voted for the parking lot bill because they knew Bauer would not let it come to the floor.

It will be interesting to see if they voted for it last year and against it this year...which will expose last year for the political "cover" it was.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The vote on 2009's SB 11 Indiana General Assembly:

INDIANA STATE SENATE
    Roll Call Number: 103 Date: 02/17/2009