• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    So, my son was hanging out with my parents yesterday and they decided to run to Petsmart to get a ID take for their puppy...Guess what accidentally followed them home?

DSC_3515.jpg

This is Darth, my son's new "mermit" crab.

Of all of the crazy animals I've owned over the years, I've never had one of these, but I will say I'm pleasantly surprised at how active and trusting they are...I thought they just sat in their cage and if a person tried picking them up, they'd just hide until you sat them back down; this is definitely not the case.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    As a youngster I had a traumatizing experience with my hermit crab. I went to get him out of his cage one day and when I picked up the shell he slid out dead as a door nail. They are a pretty neat pet to have though. Fairly low maintenance.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    So what your saying is you have crabs?!?!?!

I would'nt advertise that too loud there buddy...

Just read that again I guess your saying your kid has crabs and he brought them home from the neighbors... friendly neighbors huh?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As a youngster I had a traumatizing experience with my hermit crab. I went to get him out of his cage one day and when I picked up the shell he slid out dead as a door nail. They are a pretty neat pet to have though. Fairly low maintenance.

LOL, sorry to hear that.

Luckily, it's the cage and accessories that cost the most money...I have a feeling I'll be bringing a "Darth" or two home to replace the current one.:n00b:

I found the shell I want.:D

HermitCrab.jpg

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I had a friend years ago that has a niece that was deathly allergic to pet hair. She kept begging her parents for a pet but being eight years old she didn't really understand the whole allergy thing. One year for Christmas her parents decided to give her a hermit crab. Along with the crab came a book called " Having Crabs Can Be Fun". Watching him try to explain to his niece why he was rolling on the floor laughing at her new book was priceless.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I had a friend years ago that has a niece that was deathly allergic to pet hair. She kept begging her parents for a pet but being eight years old she didn't really understand the whole allergy thing. One year for Christmas her parents decided to give her a hermit crab. Along with the crab came a book called " Having Crabs Can Be Fun". Watching him try to explain to his niece why he was rolling on the floor laughing at her new book was priceless.

:laugh:

What? You mean they didn't want to get her one of the beauties?

hairless_cat.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    So, my son was hanging out with my parents yesterday and they decided to run to Petsmart to get a ID take for their puppy...Guess what accidentally followed them home?

This is Darth, my son's new "mermit" crab.

Of all of the crazy animals I've owned over the years, I've never had one of these, but I will say I'm pleasantly surprised at how active and trusting they are...I thought they just sat in their cage and if a person tried picking them up, they'd just hide until you sat them back down; this is definitely not the case.

Hey Homie....How old is your boy again?

Let me know if the crab lives...Callie needs a new "pet". lol

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Hey Homie....How old is your boy again?

Let me know if the crab lives...Callie needs a new "pet". lol

He's 5.

She'd be fine with one, with your supervision of course.

They're very low maintenance and very friendly...As long as you can keep her out of it's cage while you aren't around, get her one. She'll love it.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Just so you know Joe!! those things hurt when they grab a hold of you, Our son's had them when they were younger, and we had a niece that we watched allot because mom & dad worked allot! She would torment those craps I told to stop it and before she could stop one of them locked onto her hand and would not let go.

I had to take a butter knife and pry his claw open to get it off of her, the whole ordeal took about five minutes, The loader she screamed the tighter the crap pinched her.
    It was all I could do to keep from laughing, I had told her and told her, after that she didn't bother the craps anymore!!:D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Just so you know Joe!! those things hurt when they grab a hold of you, Our son's had them when they were younger, and we had a niece that we watched allot because mom & dad worked allot! She would torment those craps I told to stop it and before she could stop one of them locked onto her hand and would not let go.

I had to take a butter knife and pry his claw open to get it off of her, the whole ordeal took about five minutes, The loader she screamed the tighter the crap pinched her.
    It was all I could do to keep from laughing, I had told her and told her, after that she didn't bother the craps anymore!!:D

LOL, that's funny.

Yeah, I read that they usually don't pinch unless they feel threatened, so I told Xander that if he is mean to it, it'll be mean back.:D

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    good luck with the new addition...we sell a LOT of them, esp when Zionsville is pulling their school project's.....keep the habitat clean and moist and have extra shells for Darth to move into when he grows.....and have fun

Top Bottom