• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    There is no greater loyalty in the world than a dog. Our lab lasted 14 years with us. Towards the end she started chewing up EVERYTHING, door frames, furniture. Decided it was time. I don't recall ever crying that hard when we left her at the vet. My wife had to drive home I was so upset. Guess what, we got another one in the house now.

hardhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    NE Allen County
    Mackey, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know what you are going through. I had to let go of some of my best friends on four legs and it was not easy. Somehow i always got the feeling that i figured out when it was time to go for the last trip. I stayed with them until they were gone and every time it was tearing me apart. But I thought I owed them just that.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    My prayers are with you, I know it hurts when a family pet passes. I have lost three in the past 10 years two to old age one to seizures. They were all hard, have one beloved pet now when she goes I do not know if I will get another right away.

Mackey I most definitely feel for ya brother. Two years ago last July I noticed two lumps in my best friends throat. I knew right away what it was but I didn't want to admit it to myself. I couldn't hardly work up the courage to take Him to the vet to get them checked out. It was lymphoma. Just the Doc saying that was almost enough to put me on my knees. After a long talk with the Doc and Jake my dog we decided to fight it.

Most people thought that I had lost my mind trying this with a dog that was almost ten years old but I had to give him a chance. Was it expensive? VERY!! Was it worth it? To me... yes.
    I am still enjoying every moment that I can with him but I sometimes wonder if I did in fact do the right thing because now I have to think about the fact that it will come back someday.

I'm not trying to say this is what you should do I just want people to know that there is hope.
    My heart goes out to you and your family.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Really appreciate all the support. The time is very near. I've got an appointment tomorrow morning.

The damnest thing. I was digging her grave and the little stinker hobbled out there and sat and watched me. The craziest thing is ... in the past, when I was doing an outdoor project, when ever I dug up some earth (like for landscaping ... the last was for the walkway I did) she lies right on the cool earth.

I couldn't believe it. I know it sounds strange ... almost creepy. But I swear she was looking at my like she was waiting to lie in that spot. She was too weak after coming out there to get close, but I would take brakes and lay down on the grass with her and just pet her and talk to her. She was so happy to be outside. But she's so weak. Her glands are very very swollen and she won't eat anything, even her scoobie snack (that's what I call tater tots when I giver her one - that used to be her favorite).

My wife, Lynn said she was reading up on the net that some people bury their animals on their pet beds (which our dog hardly ever uses). I just smiled and told her ... nope. I'm laying her right on the cool dirt.

I bet she might last a week if I let her be. But everyone's suggesting that we not wait until it gets ugly. So, tomorrow's the day. Lynn's crying, Lauren's crying, but my eyes just keep tearing up. Must be allergies. ;)

picture.php

Megan and Buttercup - 10/02/2012 10:15pm

Last edited:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Man, that is the worst feeling in the world.. Especially knowing what you have to do. I am glad to hear you aren't letting the dog suffer, and even though it seems rough, you're doing the right thing.

Good luck man.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think it is common for them to rally right before they pass over. It's like their last hooray. Almost as if they want us to remember the good times and not the sad.

My heart goes out to you and your family. My condolences on your loss. Godspeed Buttercup.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss. We put our beautiful 13 year old Golden, Toby the Wonderdog, down just a few hours ago. When I walked into the house and he wasn't there to greet me with his favorite toy I could barely walk through the door.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    So sorry...

We pet people tend to have several furry friends throughout our lives and must travel this road again and again. The joy my buddies have/do give me far out weighs the heart crushing pain at the end.

Remember all of the good times and take comfort in the fact that your pet had a great life.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    No matter what age you lose a pet, it always seems too soon. There is closure to be found in knowing you provided her with the best life possible. We lost our beautiful Bernese Mt. dog last month, and he was only 19 months old. He went from happy and normal to extremely ill in a few hours. After four days at the animal hospital our Charlie lost his battle with severe pneumonia. Buttercup has surely joined Charlie and all of our other "best friends" at the rainbow bridge.

199.jpg

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    A few years ago we had to put down our beloved yorkie. She had gone virtually blind, which wasn't a big deal (for us), but then she spent every waking moment walking in tight little circles. I forget what the vet called it, but basically in her minds eye the world was spinning around and she was trying to adjust to it by "going the other way." It was the darnedest thing. She seemed otherwise healthy, but both myself and the vet felt that putting her down was the best. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I've stayed with every one of our pets until they pass over. It's extremely difficult, but I feel I owed them all that for the joy they gave us during their lifetimes. Bless you, your family and your four legged friends.

Top Bottom