• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As others have mentioned, it's possible that the composition of the stock tends to magnify the felt recoil.
    It's also possible that the profile, especially the drop, is making the recoil much more uncomfortable than it should be.
    Either replace the stock and add a new recoil pad better designed to soak up recoil.
    I put one of the Kick Eez pads on my Ruger .30-06 after the thin red rubber pad that came on the stock hardened with age, basically turning it into a hard butt plate.
    I can now shoot full house loads from the bench or even prone with no pain whatsoever.
    I highly recommend these pade, but I have one suggestion, which is that you should store the rifle barrel down to prevent the pad from adhering to anything, as it is a bit tacky.
    It's an excellent investment, for sure.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    All good advice. For original poster (OP) I would recommend a wearable recoil shield from Wally world. It only cost a couple bucks and is an interesting test device to have around for other firearms.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All good advice. For original poster (OP) I would recommend a wearable recoil shield from Wally world. It only cost a couple bucks and is an interesting test device to have around for other firearms.

Yep, those work quite nicely, and some of them (PAST) can be bought in specific thicknesses to balance recoil absorption and how much you can have the pad extend your effective length of pull (length from trigger to rear of butt on the gun).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One can get somewhat acclimated to recoil.
    Best bet is to shoot a gun that fits, shoot it often.............and not have it be a Mossberg.

Standard LOP fits me well enough. In the hot weather, wearing only a T shirt, I could use a little more LOP.
    I'm not tacticool. I just kill stuff and put it on the grill.

Last Mossberg I had (835) was 20 yrs ago.
    Hated that gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;iV5ozz38SQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV5ozz38SQ4[/video]

[video=youtube;1jQKI_GwRS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQKI_GwRS4[/video]

[video=youtube;7jncWh1BPzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jncWh1BPzw[/video]

Last edited:

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    is there a pistol grip in the stock or is it more straight. the more the pistol grip the more it takes the recoil up and away from u. its not focus to push straight back

Top Bottom