• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    So I'm a proud new owner of a Mossberg 500 50521, and I think I've got myself a little recoil problem. The particular model of gun that I bought is a bit lighter than other Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, so I understand that the perceived recoil will be higher than heavier guns. I went to the range with a box of Winchester Light-load Target #8 birdshot and was taken aback with what was presented to me. I shot 5 and thought, "this can't be right", and then passed it off to my dad who has shot quite a few shotguns in his day. He shoots twice and then turns around to me to say "wow, I don't like this gun." I thought that like many new shotgun shooters, I hadn't shouldered it in correctly, but research says that I did everything right. Its been 2 days and my shoulder is still sore from shooting 15. The padding on the stock isn't as soft as a limbsaver, but it was softer than the others I played around with.

What happened? Shouldn't birdshot kick like a kitten? Was it the weight of the gun?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I'm a proud new owner of a Mossberg 500 50521, and I think I've got myself a little recoil problem. The particular model of gun that I bought is a bit lighter than other Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, so I understand that the perceived recoil will be higher than heavier guns. I went to the range with a box of Winchester Light-load Target #8 birdshot and was taken aback with what was presented to me. I shot 5 and thought, "this can't be right", and then passed it off to my dad who has shot quite a few shotguns in his day. He shoots twice and then turns around to me to say "wow, I don't like this gun." I thought that like many new shotgun shooters, I hadn't shouldered it in correctly, but research says that I did everything right. Its been 2 days and my shoulder is still sore from shooting 15. The padding on the stock isn't as soft as a limbsaver, but it was softer than the others I played around with.

What happened? Shouldn't birdshot kick like a kitten? Was it the weight of the gun?

I should let you run my pump gun with some real loads in it and then an auto loader. A pump gun gives it all to you. All of it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There is no weight to the gun with that SPS stock. The weight will help with recoil. I'd put a real stock on it and or put a limb saver butt pad on it. It will help a lot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The perceived recoil has a lot to do with the length of the stock and the fit of the shotgun. Especially when we start getting into the defensive shotguns. I didn't realize just how important this is until recently when I made an effort to learn more about running defensive shotguns. OP you have a few choices. 1) is a recoil reducing butt pad. This may or may not help depending on how the stock fits you. 2) try a youth sized stock. 3) look into something adjustable like the MagPul stock.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My Magpul SGA stock with one spacer made a huge difference. I thought it would be too short (long arms) but it works just fine. Ran a bunch of full-house buckshot and slugs through it for training on Saturday with no soreness.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Technique, technique, technique.

in addition to the "fit" of the gun, that is.

You need to work on learning/adopting a "push/pull" technique. Your weak hand should be pushing the slide "out" while your strong hand is pulling the gun back towards you. Push/pull. It'll mitigate the recoil considerably.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Standard length stocks are too long for most people, whether they realize it or not, unless you're shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays or hunting with a really bladed body position. A stock that fits better will help a lot.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I'm a proud new owner of a Mossberg 500 50521, and I think I've got myself a little recoil problem.

The fact that you are using small #8 "birdshot", has little to do with the recoil. Do you remember what the "drams equiv." rating was? Some of the "light load" Winchesters are lighter lead but the powder charge is jacked up to about 1350fps, and kick accordingly.

1-1/8th ounce of #8 or 1-1/8th ounce of buckshot react exactly the same when a powder charge slams it out the barrel.

The obsolete but still useful "drams" is a good indication of velocity and recoil. Most hunting shells are 3 or 3-1/4 drams which is about 1200 fps and up. A 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 dram load is slower and kicks less. Lowering the dram rating AND the shot payload weight works good also. A 2-3/4 dram equiv. load that also has the lead weight reduced to 1 ounce even will kick less than any shell with only one factor reduced. Winchester featherlite AA shells are light and slow, and VERY soft kicking. I used them when I had kids.

Good luck with your new gun.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Perceived recoil is different for each individual.
    I'm sure a recoil pad of good quality could make a difference, but that is a light gun to start with.
    The less weight you have in the gun, the more recoil you will feel.
    Try adding some weight to the stock. Remove the butt plate. There will be a hole about 1-1/4" or so for the butt stock screw.
    Fill the hole with buckshot, or half-fill it and stuff wadding in to prevent movement.

Replace the butt pad, and add the recoil pad.
    The added weight will help reduce the felt recoil.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I cant help but think this is a lot of trouble to go thru for a very cheap gun. Sell it. Buy a softer shooting gun. You will be money ahead rather than tinkering with stocks and pads in my opinion.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Range time shooting recoil is harsh.
    Field shooting or hunting time isn't even noticable.
    Tactically Fat nailed it:...."You need to work on learning/adopting a "push/pull" technique. Your weak hand should be pushing the slide "out" while your strong hand is pulling the gun back towards you. Push/pull. It'll mitigate the recoil considerably."

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We have the same gun minus the pistol grip. It's only purpose is home defense. We also found the recoil to be pretty tough so we tried a youth-size buttstock which fit my wife better. After two shots we switched back to the full-size stock. We have the gun loaded with Remington 2 3/4" Managed Recoil 00 buck. The recoil is much milder but at inside-the-house range it's still going to be very effective.

Top Bottom