OSUT 262: The King has Been Neutered....and Waylon too...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Little icecream shop was doing a donation thing for the HS band. Selling pints.
    Just finished my pint of strawberry
    I had it down pretty darned good when I worked at ritters, making enough strawberry usually almost a quart every other day or so. Just for me! I would make random flavors for a few select others when ever they asked.

Strawberry was my favorite.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had it down pretty darned good when I worked at ritters, making enough strawberry usually almost a quart every other day or so. Just for me! I would make random flavors for a few select others when ever they asked.

Strawberry was my favorite.
    When I was a kid, we had one of those old hand crank ice cream makers. Mom made the mix (always strawberry) and I would crank while Dad chipped ice off a 10(?) lb. block and added the rock salt. Those are good memories and the ice cream was awesome. :drool:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I was a kid, we had one of those old hand crank ice cream makers. Mom made the mix (always strawberry) and I would crank while Dad chipped ice off a 10(?) lb. block and added the rock salt. Those are good memories and the ice cream was awesome. :drool:
    We had the electric version of that, unfortunately I don't remember what flavors or if it was good. Only remember a couple of times.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Ours was always peach. Two uncles had pretty big peach orchards on their plots.

Not like those huge yellow Georgia peaches, but about the size of a Granny Smith apple and red inside, freestone.
    Every kid took a turn at cranking. Grandpa used to warn us to make sure we were turning it the right way.
    Do it right and it freezes, but turn it backward and it will boil over and ruin the ice cream.
    :):

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    We had the electric version of that, unfortunately I don't remember what flavors or if it was good. Only remember a couple of times.
    I had both, until the shelf falling disaster. My electric freezer broke the crock part you freeze first during that episode.

Still have one of those old red ones you hand crank. Don't use it nearly enough.
    Wife likes ice cream in winter, so I could probably revive the old thing.
    We got spoiled with the electric.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ours was always peach. Two uncles had pretty big peach orchards on their plots.

Not like those huge yellow Georgia peaches, but about the size of a Granny Smith apple and red inside, freestone.
    Every kid took a turn at cranking. Grandpa used to warn us to make sure we were turning it the right way.
    Do it right and it freezes, but turn it backward and it will boil over and ruin the ice cream.
    :):
    We had a peach tree, a couple of plum trees, red raspberry bushes, grape arbors, a strawberry patch, an apricot tree, and 3 apple trees (1 Transparent for apple sauce, 1 Winesap for baking, and 1 Red Delicious for eating), but for whatever reason, Mom only made strawberry ice cream.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had both, until the shelf falling disaster. My electric freezer broke the crock part you freeze first during that episode.

Still have one of those old red ones you hand crank. Don't use it nearly enough.
    Wife like ice cream in winter, so I could probably revive the old thing.
    We got spoiled with the electric.
    They're probably better now, but when they first came out, the electric ones wouldn't get the ice cream as firm as the hand crank ones would.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    We had a peach tree, a couple of plum trees, red raspberry bushes, grape arbors, a strawberry patch, an apricot tree, and 3 apple trees (1 Transparent for apple sauce, 1 Winesap for baking, and 1 Red Delicious for eating), but for whatever reason, Mom only made strawberry ice cream.
    Except for apricot and strawberry, none of those fruits do well in west Texas.
    But have you ever had fig ice cream?
    Wonderful!
    All I ever see here is dried figs, but I have not explored enough to find a recipe for those.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I have not! I have had Fig Newtons, but that's about it. :):
    My dad had large back yard which I took over and gardened at a young age. He had a single fig tree that produced huge bounty.
    One uncle with a peach orchard, had one row of fig trees. We always had figs!

Mom sold half of her plot to that same uncle, so her plot, to split between my brother and me is only 40 acres these days.
    Brother wants nothing to do with it, so I'm planning to buy him out after Mom goes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My dad had large back yard which I took over and gardened at a young age. He had a single fig tree that produced huge bounty.
    One uncle with a peach orchard, had one row of fig trees. We always had figs!

Mom sold half of her plot to that same uncle, so her plot, to split between my brother and me is only 40 acres these days.
    Brother wants nothing to do with it, so I'm planning to buy him out after Mom goes.
    The part I surrounded in red used to be all garden when I was a kid.

1727568943446.png

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Getting late.
    Daddy Taxi did not go well. Four car pile up, directly in front of us. Cars everywhere! Not too bad!

We could not get around for a while, since we and the guy in front of us were deep in the middle of all the cars that didn't get too stupid to stop. But, it was a clusterbump!

Home safe!

I have four fingers of mash going. Soon to shower, puff some more, refill and fall out in front of the Alabama game last half.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom