Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember when I was a kid, we had a Culligan system, and the Culligan man had a key to our house and would always yell, "Culligan Man!" when he'd bring us a new tank (of salt?) and come walking in the house.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    That company looks better than many, at first glance of the website.

One Bulleted article, they do repairs to other makes.

I don't know whether this one is salvageable or not, but I have had ZERO luck at getting someone to service my unit.

There are three service stickers on the inner cover and none of them do service anymore, only sales and installs.
    The factory number and website is something else now.

I have not searched much farther than local business, though.

Site looks like a good old fashioned family owned affair and I'll see how the consultation goes.

At this point, bases are loaded and I have a full count.
    S or GOTP as my grandpa used to scream when he really needed to go and had all us cousins there for the summer.
    :):

Thank you.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Our softener has quit. We have to replace it.
    We don't drink city water; it's toxic. Not only to us, but to our expensive appliances.

Never have drunk city water since I've lived here for 30 yrs, convinced my native Hoosier wife after just a few samples of what clean water was.
    We buy drinking water for now, still.

She keeps finding these ads (we talk about this and the ads flow) where they don't cost much.
    I ask her did she check the duty capabilities.

I need, WE need a new appliance that will serve all our water needs, not just one sink, like the cheap ones she keeps finding from pop up ads. She's begging to know what I am waiting for.

I would treasure a suggestion for a BIG A55, Whole House, Everything softener that doesn't cost $2.5K plus a $k to install or more.

(there goes my unpteenth chance at my first AR)
    Head to Lowe's or Menards and pick one up. If you can sweat pipe, install isn't too bad.

We had the older version of this and only had to replace a set of gears in 15 years. The city water through the fridge filter even tasted good.

The new place came with an older Culligan softener and it's working well. The rural well we have spits out cleaner water than the city water at the old place.

I did add a RO system with a faucet at the sink (and the fridge is hooked up to it).

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Head to Lowe's or Menards and pick one up. If you can sweat pipe, install isn't too bad.

We had the older version of this and only had to replace a set of gears in 15 years. The city water through the fridge filter even tasted good.

The new place came with an older Culligan softener and it's working well. The rural well we have spits out cleaner water than the city water at the old place.

I did add a RO system with a faucet at the sink (and the fridge is hooked up to it).

Bought our softener from Lowe's, after a couple of times sweating pipe isn't to hard

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I remember when I was a kid, we had a Culligan system, and the Culligan man had a key to our house and would always yell, "Culligan Man!" when he'd bring us a new tank (of salt?) and come walking in the house.
    Never heard of anything like that.

I remember the Fuller Brush man carrying a sign.
    Grandpa bought a lot of brushes.
    He had hogs he needed to scrub with a long handle from a distance, cattle that had to be brushed for bugs every few days, two mules that always got dirty, usually needed a bucket for those silly souls.

Brushman was welcome, but he knew his territory. Carried a sign on a stick, the smart man did.

That's not a joke, that's a memory.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bought our softener from Lowe's, after a couple of times sweating pipe isn't to hard
    I learned to do it when Susan's dad and his friend helped install our water heater. Then I got the idea to make a small "pergola" archway out of copper pipe for our wisteria and honeysuckle to grow up on.

1719789293210.jpeg
    I got a lot of practice sweating pipes then! But then the vines got so heavy that they collapsed it. I replaced it with my current wood structure. (But it's much more overgrown than in this pic. This was from 9 years ago.)

1719789462864.jpeg

Crandall Crank

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    We've got a whole house water filter and a water softener. Water tastes great! Just remember to plumb 3 valves in to make a "bypass" to each. This allows you to change filters, work on the softener (if needed) without disrupting water service to the house. A few shut off valves are sure nice when you have to work on something and the rest of the house/barn still has water. Install is easy for me, but I've been sweating copper for 40+ years.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE

Thanks.
    I would have the RO on the fridge as well.

Nothing worse than when ice cubes start to taste like flowers or something.

As I quipped, it's time for me to get off the pot and get serious.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    We've got a whole house water filter and a water softener. Water tastes great! Just remember to plumb 3 valves in to make a "bypass" to each. This allows you to change filters, work on the softener (if needed) without disrupting water service to the house. A few shut off valves are sure nice when you have to work on something and the rest of the house/barn still has water. Install is easy for me, but I've been sweating copper for 40+ years.
    Shut offs, of any kind, liquid, gas, electrical, are like clamps. You can never have too many.
    :thumbsup:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    As the fancy chef said, stuffed cabbage rolls, deconstructed. So it is hamburger, onion, rice, cabbage in beef broth, tomato sauce, pepper, salt and paprika.
    :rockwoot:
    Except for me being stuffed right now, that sounds great.

"... and doors shall open."

It actually resembles my wife's Greek pasta recipe.
    But with cabbage rolls!
    I love it.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I learned to do it when Susan's dad and his friend helped install our water heater. Then I got the idea to make a small "pergola" archway out of copper pipe for our wisteria and honeysuckle to grow up on.

View attachment 362896
    I got a lot of practice sweating pipes then! But then the vines got so heavy that they collapsed it. I replaced it with my current wood structure. (But it's much more overgrown than in this pic. This was from 9 years ago.)

View attachment 362897
    That's cool!
    I like the archway, but it just looks like you need multiples.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom