OSUT 257: Spring is Finally Here. Bring on the Outdoor Fun and Grilling Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    This place was bought new by an older couple who both died here. She collected fancy dancy hats and brass things, he collected yard sticks and rock chisels (something useful!).

Putting up more shelves earlier this morning in the attic above the garage, I'm still finding things.
    Deep dark crevices yet to be explored.

Found all the plumbing and electrical, venting schemes, etc. But this morning, exploring further, I found tucked into maybe a wifey safe hidey hole was an old 5gal bucket full of MORE yardsticks.
    Amazing!

I have ONE old yardstick I keep as a decoration above my main bench. It's right there to grab if I need a yardstick!

Kept five or six others I've found left here and there the old guy left behind, but now, it seems I have a ready made starter collection of the things.

First thing I'm going to do, after a project finish or two still in the works, will be to slather these down with linseed oil and bring them back to life. Already see one that was from a local closed down mom 'n pop HDW store.
    I will have more decoration?
    Yardsticks! Really?

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Was curious if anyone was impacted.

NOAA warns of a wide area blackout of high-frequency radio communications for hours. The geomagnetic storm could also cause widespread voltage irregularities in power systems, which trigger false alarms on security devices, cause drag on low earth orbit satellites preventing them from orienting and cause range errors and a loss-of-lock for GPS systems.
    3 of 7 impacts have happened. We are at a kp 8(reached 9) and it is expected to get back to 9 shortly. Already the largest solar storm of the last 23 years.
    spaceweather.com

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This place was bought new by an older couple who both died here. She collected fancy dancy hats and brass things, he collected yard sticks and rock chisels (something useful!).

Putting up more shelves earlier this morning in the attic above the garage, I'm still finding things.

Found all the plumbing and electrical, venting schemes, etc. But this morning, exploring further, I found tucked into maybe a wifey safe hidey hole was an old 5gal bucket full of yardsticks.
    Amazing!

I have ONE old yardstick I keep as a decoration above my main bench.
    Kept five or six others the old guy left behind, but now, it seems I have a ready made starter collection of the things.

First thing I'm going to do, after a project finish or two still in the works, will be to slather these down with linseed oil and bring them back to life.
    Yardsticks! Really?
    Yardsticks were often a form of advertising back in the day, so I guess I could see collecting them for that reason.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Found all the plumbing and electrical, venting schemes, etc. But this morning, exploring further, I found tucked into maybe a wifey safe hidey hole was an old 5gal bucket full of yardsticks.
    Amazing!

I have ONE old yardstick I keep as a decoration above my main bench.
    Kept five or six others the old guy left behind, but now, it seems I have a ready made starter collection of the things.

First thing I'm going to do, after a project finish or two still in the works, will be to slather these down with linseed oil and bring them back to life.
    Yardsticks! Really?
    Who knows, maybe one day you will need a 3ft straight edge. They are sill useful tools.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, they all brandish company names in flaming stencilled dyes, inks or paint and all of them show that old advertising vibe that had no https: to back them up.

I can not bring myself to just chuck them.
    sew.jpg
    Search yardstick tables or crafts. Some really nice looking tables and even a jewelry box made with them.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    View attachment 352166
    Search yardstick tables or crafts. Some really nice looking tables and even a jewelry box made with them.
    That's awesome!
    One of my newfound yardsticks has a phone number in the old style, "Dial Murray 6- ... "
    I can't remember the rest but how long has it been since you thought of phone numbers with a name to start, instead of a jumble of numbers?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's awesome!
    One of my newfound yardsticks has a phone number in the old style, "Dial Murray 6- ... "
    I can't remember the rest but how long has it been since you thought of phone numbers with a name to start, instead of a jumble of numbers?
    Still remember my childhood phone number - State 6-1541.

Top Bottom