• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    OP, I have been a Life member of the NRA since the early 90's. Do I agree with everything they do? Nope, but then I don't agree with just about any organization (or person) 100%. But in my humble opinion, they are the ONLY voice that is listened to in Congress. Why, take a look at some of the anti-gun politicians comments that have lost a Senate or House race. Many attribute there losses to the NRA and it supporters. They spend millions lobbying Congress, and the members know they are a bad enemy to have come next election. They support firearm education, training, competitions, legal aid to fight anti-gun charges against citizens, and are recognized the world over. I do not think (although I do support several as I can) all the other pro 22nd groups together have a small percentage of the power to keep our rights. I don't have the excess funds to do a great deal but I do contribute to NRA roundup when available and encourage everyone that wants to "prevent the government from ignoring our 22nd rights" to support the NRA.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Okay, this is kind of long and for the record I work for a membership based non-profit... :D

With that being said, you are a correct, they are a business. The NRA is in the business of members. They have to both promote the organization to new members and maintain as many current members as they can through supporting them and acting in their name. Any good non-profit operates as a business, and does have investments ("reserves") for the future. Money in the bank provides interest income to help sustain the organization in the lean years, provide funds for emergencies, and as well it shows that they're good stewards.

I can also assure you that membership dues do not fully pay the organization's bills. That is why the NRA fundraises, and offers "member benefits" such as discounted products and services, including an NRA branded credit card to members. Those companies all make contributions to the NRA for advertising themselves to the membership, as well in some cases, when members purchase their products. (The AARP is hugely successful at this.)

The NRA credit card does provide additional income. I can guarantee you that First National Bank of Omaha makes a donation for each new account opened, pays the NRA a yearly dollar amount for maintained accounts, and pays a small percentage of the transactions made (upwards of one percent). I personally carry their card and use it for most purchases, then keep it paid off each month, and that way when I'm buying groceries and paying for gas, I'm also helping to support the NRA with my purchases.

I've heard over the years a lot of those guys you mention ***** about how many times the NRA sends them a letter asking for a donation. Well the fact is, few people will ever give any organization a dime without being asked to. Those mailings do work, which is why they do them. Non-profits that don't fundraise well or don't fundraise at all will die. I would take a stab at it that for most organizations, the average donation from those that respond to a direct mail request is $10 to $15. (Not a lot!)

Now look at the NRA's monthly magazines. I can guarantee you that the ads in their magazines do not pay for the production, printing and mailing of those magazines, which is a huge expense. Most of the magazine's advertisers, minus the retail gun manufactures that advertiser, are direct mail, which are the cheapest advertisers that pay rock bottom prices for their ads. Sure you can say, then why produce the magazines? Well magazines are still widely read, and it's the best way for any national organization to get messages to their individual members. And any kind of advertising helps to offset the production costs.

And complaints about paid staff? Well poorly run non-profits don't value staff, and instead think that most things should be done by volunteers/members. Unfortunately that doesn't attract talent, and like any good business, they have to pay for talent. If you want a first class CEO, executive team, and even a professional marketing department, writers, editors, accounting, events planning, membership division, etc., etc., then you have to pay for it. Nothing against volunteers, but they will only do so much and not always on-time, on schedule, or will always make the best business decisions. Volunteers have their own lives, and when it comes down to it, it's not their job to for example make sure that the IRS is satisfied. A professional organization has to have paid staff to get the big, national work done.

Plus, the fact is that membership based organizations are actually on the downfall. You look at most large membership based non-profts and they're losing members. For many, members are aging and dying off faster then new members are joining.

The IRS is also on the mission of eliminating non-profits (most recently, one of the fastest parts of the US economy has been the growth of non-profits). So if you think that the NRA is involved an any fraud/mishandling of money, then believe me, the IRS would have already shut them down. (And don't think that they're not trying to.)

Personally, the reason I am an NRA life member and as well that I continue to give money to them is that with any new gun owner, or even someone that is interested in buying their first gun that I run into (work or otherwise), over the years the NRA has always been the ONE organization that I can point them to for excellent personal protection and gun safety courses. An NRA course can be found in any state and taught by organized professionals. No other pro-gun organization offers what they do. There is power in numbers.

Has the NRA always been perfect? Of course not. What human organization is? Think the GOA doesn't have problems? Sure I respect them too, but of course they do. The NRA is not a single person, or even a small group based out of Fairfax, VA. It's all of the members.

And last, what is the organization that the anti-gun left hates and mentions the most? It's the NRA. And I'm a member. :patriot:

Last edited:

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    The NRA is the original grassroots organization. For the fee, you get monthly informative magazines, patch, hats, or whatever is being offered. They are the Elephant in congressional chambers by sheer weight of numbers. The more of us there are, the more they can prove are in their (our) corner. The money is used for sponsoring range grants, NRA classes, or whatever to benefit our youth. It does nothing for the legal fight.
    To help further, donate some money to their legislative branch. That money goes directly to paying lawyers, etc. or whatever is needed to 'fight the good fight' for us. Send donations to NRA-ILA | ILA Home to help us all fight the bans, etc.

The GoA and SAF are also worthy opponents against the liberals and are also instrumental in our fights. I donate to all of them.

Top Bottom