• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As my dad likes to say. So anyway, This past Thursday was my and my loving girlfriend's 7 year anniversary. Did you notice something about that last sentence? Since I've been a member on here I've ALWAYS refereed to her as my "fiance" this time I did not. Why? Well...... Because technically we are not engaged. But since we have been together for so long it is just easier for both of us to refer to each other as our fiances (less explaining). Well last weekend we went up north and did a little shopping for shiny stones attached to polished metal. She found a combo she really liked and I have to admit it is a beautiful setting and the stone is ridiculous. VS1 F .71 carat princess cut, absolutely breathtaking. So we all know stones like that come with a price tag. The set she picked out with that stone is $6500.00 not including the wedding band. :spend: So now that it's come to that time I've decided I am NOT going to get off the pot. I want to be with this girl for as long as I possibly can if it's the rest of my life or just until she gets sick of me I don't care. I want to make it official and I know she wants that ring and I want her to have that ring. The crappy thing is I don't have the money and I don't really want to finance the whole amount. So I come to you INGO to announce that I will be placing a lot of my stuff in the classifieds in the coming weeks and I will have it priced to sell. Some nice stuff, some stuff I never used and to be honest what ever random crap I can find to raise money. So keep an eye out and please let me know if you see something you like. And thanks in advance for helping fund our future.

:ingo:

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I know it would never be sold but resale is 20% of retail. Biggest mark up next to furniture.

Wish you two the best!!!! Got a good chance looking at the how long have you been married thread!!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Congratulations.

Now, seriously rethink that ring. $6500? No way. There's got to be a better way to get something similar for less. Either a different jeweler, diamond, something.

This is why I did not take my woman shopping with me when I picked out the ring. My proposal, my budget. Fortunately my mom had some quarter carat diamond earrings she didn't wear much, so she gave them to me. I had them pulled and dropped into a three stone ring so I only bought the half carat for the center. Distinctive Diamond in Indy. Total cost to me: $550.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Congratulations!! Wish you two the best!

Like Brian says, lots of mark-up on jewelry. You might try negotiating a little on a purchase that big.

Thanks!

Oh I work retail I know how mark up works, and I have some items that I may be able to trade too if he will trade. It is at an independent store so he may. Some silver bullion and a few pieces of jewelery my mom has offered to give her before.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Man... cut the :bs: get your A** down to the preacher and marry that woman. :facepalm:

Now.

Today.

End of :soapbox:

:ranton: OFF...

Oh, and congratulations. Forget the high-buck rings. For now. Buy cheap rings, plastic if that's all ya can actually afford right now. Use that money to buy a home or eliminate bills or whatever. Plenty of time to :spend: on fancy-schmancy when all that's in place.

BTW, mark-up on jewelry is pretty much 300% - 400% and up.

Yeah, you can thank us later for the 'sage advice'... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Congratulations.

Now, seriously rethink that ring. $6500? No way. There's got to be a better way to get something similar for less. Either a different jeweler, diamond, something.

This is why I did not take my woman shopping with me when I picked out the ring. My proposal, my budget. Fortunately my mom had some quarter carat diamond earrings she didn't wear much, so she gave them to me. I had them pulled and dropped into a three stone ring so I only bought the half carat for the center. Distinctive Diamond in Indy. Total cost to me: $550.

We went and looked around and honestly did not find anything we both liked better for a better price. Even at Distinctive. The place we found the ring we both liked was right down the road at Barrington's. Honestly can't say enough about that place. the owner took care of us personally and took the time to sit us down and show us an arrangement of stones and settings in a range of prices. We both liked that one in that setting the best. Best part is he is the one that made it he is the jeweler, no Made in China stickers on the backs like at Jared's with crappy dull diamonds. Also he offers lifetime warranty and full price trade in. So if we decided to trade in the stone later we wont get market price back, we will get full dollar amount paid on trade. The stone was $4500.00 by itself and that is the price he guaranteed we would get back in trade.

Yeah I could get something cheaper, but honestly I think of this as a once in a lifetime investment. Because if it doesn't work out with her in the long run. I'll probably never do it again. So...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do tend to agree with some of the posters here on the cost of the ring. I heard on the TV last night that the average cost of a wedding today is $33,000. I did my daughters for $8000. And it was nice. 300+ people and that $8K was all in; food, venue, photog, flowers, cake, etc...

Figure out your total costs and budget and spend appropriately. Maybe $6500 is not much for you. It's all relative. Sell that AMC and your golden!:)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Man... cut the :bs: get your A** down to the preacher and marry that woman. :facepalm:

Now.

Today.

End of :soapbox:

:ranton: OFF...

Oh, and congratulations. Forget the high-buck rings. For now. Buy cheap rings, plastic if that's all ya can actually afford right now. Use that money to buy a home or eliminate bills or whatever. Plenty of time to :spend: on fancy-schmancy when all that's in place.

BTW, mark-up on jewelry is pretty much 300% - 400% and up.

Yeah, you can thank us later for the 'sage advice'... :thumbsup:

I offered her a ring from a box of Cracker Jack once.... It flew.... right past my head. LOL

She has a big family and I did suggest the quick and easy route. But her family is very traditional. They want the whole nine yards, song and dance included.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm probably the only 27 yo man you'll ever meet that owns the house he lives in. So not much in the way of living expenses. ;)

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Congrats! Get on a budget and make some extra money somewhere! You can get it all, the will to do so is there!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My friend, you know I will be looking and doing what I can to help out.
    I understand the commitment a ring like that signify's and if it is what you want go for it.
    That said, the wife and I got matching bands with some small stones in them to start the party off.
    After 15 years we went out and I set her up properly.
    This year we will see 34 years together.
    The ring did not do this.....we did.
    Luck and best wishes.
    See-ya in the classy's

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hehehehehehe
    I saw his bikes. Those are from my day's.....:)
    And mine Tim.

First bike: Mach II 350 triple
    Second bike: KZ650(my favorite)
    Third: Vulcan 800 classic(least favorite)

I haven't owned many and most likely I am done, though I do get bike fever now and again.:)

Top Bottom