Options for keeping a house warm with zero electric or gas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    We got some surprise furnace issues yesterday, on the eve of the coldest night of the year... Combination of electric heater, propane heater, and the kerosene torpedo out of the garage kept the house at 59* when it is 1* outside. Thankfully the HVAC guy is coming today. Still can't talk the wife into a wood stove. I just don't get it. I may have to get one anyway and just deal with the argument for a while.
    I know one of the first major projects/expenses when we get moved is installing a woodburner in the family room. A good sized addition, with cathedral ceilings - would lend itself to having a WBS and save on heating bills. Hope you convince the Missus - I think it's a smart way to go. Wish we had one here in ND -- currently -14 with -32 wind chills, and Tues-Weds is suppose to get COLDER! Our furnace burns diesel, and that ain't cheap. Looking forward to our move to IN.... the sooner the better.
    Good Luck!

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Last year during the few days of -10-15○ weather our power went out for 2.5 days. Luckily my father who lives next door didnt lose power and we went there. Our house never went below 40 degree's during that whole time and I went in and out prolly a dozen times. The wife and I insulated it very well when we built it. I could probably keep it decently warm with aa dozen candles but I have two plans. I picked up a small 1800 watt generator and a small squirrel cage 1500 watt electric heater.. I think it would easily keep the kitchen/living room comfortable. Also picked up a new keroheat ct1100 10,000 btu heater on Craigslist and an extra 5 gal kersone jug. It works really well. The only problem with a very tight house is no ventilation. Cook fish in the house and you can smell it two days later. We ran a buddy heater one year when the power went out and the smell was pretty bad. . My fathers house is the opposite. I dont know if its even insulated and in the winter it feels like the windows are open when they are closed. It is bad but you can run a kerosene heater or a big propane heater and never even smell it. Worse case I built a 8x14 foot winter work room in my pole barn because I couldnt afford to heat the whole thing. I work on motorcycles etc in the small room and its basically hanging tarps. The kerosene heater keeps it 50-62 degrees inside even when the garage temp is in the 20's and it doesnt smell bad because of all the cracks/openings. Worst case I could stay in there in worst case scenario. Small kerosene heaters will go a long time on a gallon of K1. Whats the best option? I dont know I just try to keep a few options open.

Top Bottom