Options for keeping a house warm with zero electric or gas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If for whatever reason we loose power for an extended period this year I've been debating on a couple of options to keep the house at least modestly warm. I'm thinking about buying one of those MR Heater "Big Buddy" heaters because they have three levels of putting out heat. They can also attach to a propane tank that we have for the grill, and the biggest thing is that it's safe to use indoors.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH1...418412466&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+heater+big+buddy

In the past I've also considered a kerosene heater, but that requires storing a volatile fuel in larger heavier containers compaired to either tanks of gas for the grill or even those little small propane tanks.

I'm just thinking that for a $140 heater with a $40 hose adapter that for $180 that buys a lot of insurance especially when I've got three little kids in the house. Any thoughts?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While there are lots of options, it really boils down to how much heat you need for how long.

A kerosene heater properly maintained is for longer term heating a better value and more options in an emergency (can burn kero, lamp oil, fuel oil, or even diesel if you can stand the smell, and you can store diesel in most containters).

If you are talking outages of a few hours being all you care about then propane is fast and simple.

Keep in mind that it's a simple formula for how much heat you need to keep a space at an acceptable temperature, and most houses need tens of thousands of BTUs/hour to keep 20-40f above the outside temperature. One of the little heaters will take the chill off a room, but won't keep a house warm unless it's not that cold outside. The colder it is, the more BTU/hr you need.

FWIW, a gallon of propane contains about 91.5k btu. A gallon of kerosene contains about 141k btu. Propane usually burns a little more efficient, but not by so much as to be a real consideration.

My highly energy efficient house, ~1000sq ft above the basement, requires 1.5k btu/hr for every 1 degree F rise inside above the outside temp. So if it is 0F outside I need 75k btu/hr to keep the inside temp at 50f...

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    My friend uses that Big Buddy to heat his garage. Puts out a lot of heat, comparable to the big, round kerosene heaters. The blower is nice, but it runs on D-cell batteries so you'd want to keep some of those around. Instead of - or in addition to - the hose, you might consider one of these nozzles that let you fill the small tanks from the big one. I use that to fill the small tanks for the little catalytic heater I use when hunting and it works well.

That said, I personally chose kerosene for this purpose because it is cheaper per BTU and easier to store. Pricewise, I paid just over $23 for 5 gallons of kero recently, while a filling a BBQ tank is nearly $20. Storage containers are cheaper, too (Fifteen bucks for a blue jug vs $30-45 for the tank.) As for space, five gallons of kerosene has about 675k BTUs, but a barbecue propane tank (only filled to 16 lb now) only has about 350k BTUs in roughly the same storage space. So to get the same "amount of heat" stored you would need about twice as many BBQ tanks as 5 gal jugs of kerosene. You'll have to decide whether you consider flammable fuel or explosive gas more dangerous to store.

I have four 5-gallon blue plastic jugs of kerosene stored which should run my 10,000 BTU heater for more than 2 weeks (@16hrs per day) or one week for the typical 20,000 BTU big, round heater. I bought all this from scratch in October when I decided to switch my backup heat plan from wood to propane. Total cost for the heater I bought, 4 jugs, and kerosene was about $275 - $115 for the heater and $160 for fuel. Duplicating that heat capacity with a propane heater and BBQ tanks would have cost at least $650 (Assuming new purchase tanks; you can get them used if you're willing to wait for deals. You could probably beat that price with fewer, bigger tanks, too.)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Part of the appeal of the propane was that we always have a tank in the grill and a full tank for back up. I can see the kerosene heater being cheaper, but with little kids I feel better about propane tanks than fuel cans they could tip over or get into.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sounds good to me....just remember propane makes carbon monoxide....so make sure you can vent the thing.

No
    No

No.

Incomplete combustion creates CO, the fuel is immaterial.

You should run a detector NO MATTER what you are heating with.
    And you should make sure your detector isn't past its expiration date.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    No
    No

No.

Incomplete combustion creates CO, the fuel is immaterial.

You should run a detector NO MATTER what you are heating with.
    And you should make sure your detector isn't past its expiration date.

burning any thing can make CO. wood,propane or kerosene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Assuming you can create a small, highly insulated mini-"room" within your house, your own body heat can serve to maintain reasonably comfortable temperatures. Not as good as a proper space heater or wood furnace of course, but a good alternative in the event of sudden heat loss.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Back in the olden days we would close off parts of the house with no plumbing, and that were not 100% necessary, with doors and blankets tacked up in open doorways. This cut way back on the needed btu's, and one propane or kerosene heater could keep us comfortable. Take to heart the arguments in favor of kerosene, but know that you are correct in your assessment of propane for short term heating.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I own a fair amount of mr heater products and have dragged them all over creation and used for base camps and hunting. I own a couple of the regular sized buddies and frankly prefer them. One is none, two is one. You can space smaller ones out. I also have some coleman sportcats, they are nice for smaller spaces like bathrooms. Also, the smaller buddies pack and store easier in rubbermaid tubs.

I just have a hard time seeing you make it without a kero tower. About 4 moves ago, we had to move during winter. The S started to HTF during the move and next thing you know, lots of snow, movers unloading and bingo, single digit temps, wind and no heat. Close off unneeded spaces, tower in main living area, propane in bedrooms and baths as needed. Couple days like that.

On a side note, I created a test space out in the detached garage using prodex insulation. Having a small highly insulated interior space has its benefits.

PS I have never paid more than 50% for any heater I own. I think I paid $10 for at least two mr heaters and one sportcat. Buy heaters in February when they get heavily discounted. Also add some coleman propane stoves and cooking gear. Kids need food and hot water to clean up.

Last edited:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Also remember. If you lose power/heat, start the alternate heating process soon, before the temp starts to drop appreciably in your house. You may be able to maintain a decent temp, but waiting too late you will really struggle to raise the temp back up, especially on those really cold stretches. As Zoub said, close off unneeded space but make sure you aren't closing of an area where there may be water lines. I may even let the water drip a little in a faucet or two. Cost of a little more water can be a lot cheaper than repairing frozen pipes.

I have two large kero heaters and one Mr. Heater. Found 1 kero and the propane at garage sales, lightly used, for $20 bucks each.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I have 3 types of heaters so I will give thoughts on all of them.

Big buddy: nice small heater. 18k btu max lasts around 20 hrs on a 15lb tank if ran on high entire time. Med and low last much longer. Use the filter if using grill tanks. It's my primary heater at deer camp. I use the power cord, an inverter and car battery to run the blower. It blows waaaaaaaay harder on power vs d batts.

Kero: not much to say....it works but stinky. It's my plan c.

Mr heater hero: coolest thing since sliced bread. 33k btu torpedo heater, propane, and has a lith ion batt pack which operates it for 8hrs. Downside to this heater is 11hrs max per grill tank. If you have a cold space, I use this to get up to temp then run the big buddy to conserve resources.

Each has its place and downside.
    One can never have too many heaters.
    Whoever said to buy them in February is exactly right. They can be had very cheap then.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    Top Bottom