• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I love shooting my sig 226 with both the .40 barrel and the .357 sig, but the iron sights don`t agree with my aging eyes, any way to mount any type of optics without drilling and tapping?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Not really what you're looking to do, but my P226 slide is supposed to be getting back from Parker Mountain Machine tomorrow after getting sent out to be milled for a 407K. I've played with some of the dovetail mounts and just couldn't come to terms with them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That looks like a really shallow cut. Is that due to Sig P22x internals being very close up there, thin slides, or just how they do it? It looks great, just curious.
    Yeah, it actually exposed the top of the firing pin block plunger channel, so the spring rides against the bottom of the optic. There's also a very deep "lightening" cut alongside the firing pin channel that they had to avoid cutting into. The P22X just doesn't leave a lot of room for cutting (and you can forget about it altogether on an old folded-steel slide gun).

It's deep enough for my purposes, though...the 407k has a pretty low deck height and I can just barely align the tips of the factory sights through the window. This is going to be a range gun, so I'm not so worried about their usability as emergency backup sights, but it's nice to have a frame of reference to confirm the Dot's zero against, and these will do that.

2024-06-12_09-41-31.jpg

2024-06-12_09-41-44.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, it actually exposed the top of the firing pin block plunger channel, so the spring rides against the bottom of the optic. There's also a very deep "lightening" cut alongside the firing pin channel that they had to avoid cutting into. The P22X just doesn't leave a lot of room for cutting (and you can forget about it altogether on an old folded-steel slide gun).

It's deep enough for my purposes, though...the 407k has a pretty low deck height and I can just barely align the tips of the factory sights through the window. This is going to be a range gun, so I'm not so worried about their usability as emergency backup sights, but it's nice to have a frame of reference to confirm the Dot's zero against, and these will do that.

View attachment 358719

View attachment 358720
    Cool thanks for the info and the pics. Very educational.

You may well know this, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the dot lining up with the sights on a handgun. Slaving the dot to the sights on a handgun will bring frustration.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Cool thanks for the info and the pics. Very educational.

You may well know this, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the dot lining up with the sights on a handgun. Slaving the dot to the sights on a handgun will bring frustration.
    Well aware. Aside from their backup capacity in the event of a total dot failure, I only use the irons to confirm zero before I holster up in the morning, because I've had uncommanded zero shifts on a couple of dots in the past. Co-witnessing with the irons provides a quick frame of reference to determine if something is off. When shooting, I don't even see the irons.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well aware. Aside from their backup capacity in the event of a total dot failure, I only use the irons to confirm zero before I holster up in the morning, because I've had uncommanded zero shifts on a couple of dots in the past. Co-witnessing with the irons provides a quick frame of reference to determine if something is off. When shooting, I don't even see the irons.
    Cool, I figured you were aware, but never know. Great to see the pics and hear it shoots well. I was just taking a look at their website. Some cool stuff.

I've been lusting after a P229 SAO legion myself recently.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Cool, I figured you were aware, but never know. Great to see the pics and hear it shoots well. I was just taking a look at their website. Some cool stuff.

I've been lusting after a P229 SAO legion myself recently.
    The factory optic-ready guns don't have the exposed firing pin safety plunger. I'm not sure if they re-designed the whole slide to accomplish that, but they somehow managed to do it without leaving it open. IMO that's a nice benefit of getting a factory optic cut...I just wish they weren't married to the stupid DPP footprint. I think some of the newer ones have holes drilled for an RMR footprint as well, but it requires a filler plate.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The factory optic-ready guns don't have the exposed firing pin safety plunger. I'm not sure if they re-designed the whole slide to accomplish that, but they somehow managed to do it without leaving it open. IMO that's a nice benefit of getting a factory optic cut...I just wish they weren't married to the stupid DPP footprint. I think some of the newer ones have holes drilled for an RMR footprint as well, but it requires a filler plate.
    Agreed on the DPP. Really wish Sig would move away from that overall.

Could now go with the Holosun SCS320 since it's a DPP footprint but really don't need a higher $ enclosed emitter optic for a range gun. If I get one, the plate and a less expensive Holosun with an RMR footprint, such as a 507C may be the way.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If I get one, the plate and a less expensive Holosun with an RMR footprint, such as a 507C may be the way.
    That sounds like a pretty good plan. There's nothing wrong with the Holosun stuff. I've been very happy with my 407C and so far with the 407k as well. I've shot with a DPP and hated it, and have a Romeo 1 Pro on my work gun. The Romeo has been serviceable, but I've had a few issues and honestly trust the Holosun stuff more. In my experience they're better optics, even before you take into account the fact that they cost less. There's even some things I like about them better than my RMR.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have a Sig optics slide for my P226 that came with a Romeo Pro , like you mentioned wish it was not dedicated to the one platform. But here is the optic cut area.

11 226 plate.jpg

Top Bottom