• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking into a new handgun very soon. I am pretty set on a S&W 442 airweight .38 spl. It has an internal hammer and is DAO.

I have a few revolvers and really like wheelguns. So far all the revolvers I have are SA/DA and have an exposed hammer. I have nothing against the exposed hammer and enjoy it at the range, but I am looking at the 442 as an occasional rotation in my EDC for certain occasions and would rather have a DAO concealed hammer for carry.

The opinions I am looking for are any personal experiences with this gun? Any dislikes or reasons I may want to look at a different make or model? I am not new to guns and shoot pretty often, I understand the heavy trigger pull of a DAO and I am okay with that. Any issues with revolvers with concealed hammers that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any info :ingo:

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    As long as your comfortable with the limitations of the pistol, I'd say your good to go. I've carried a 640 for almost 20 years and have no plans to replace it.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I don't have the smith but I do have a LCR a love to carry it in formal setting. Light weight and comes out of a pocket easy. Really havent found a reason to buy a holster a pocket seems to do great. I mainly carry a Smith 686 although I love this massive hunk of metal it kinda sticks out and putting that in your pocket is not option. I have never heard of nor experienced any problems with these types of revolvers and think you will enjoy it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I carry a 642 most of the time. I carry it for the same reasons that you do. There are many times that I just want the lighter weight smaller frame gun to carry rather than my full size XD40.

You have already pointed out and excepted the few things that I would have said. But I would add that on mine I changed to lighter springs and did a trigger job to lighten and smooth out the the trigger. I really believe that this is a must on these guns.

I now that these guns are not really meant to shoot at targets at 25 yards away. But if you take the stock gun to the range and shoot it at 25 yards you will see the need for the above mentioned work. The trigger is so hard that getting a quick shot off without really pulling the shot is difficult. It also takes a toll on you finger. Not to mention that accuracy really suffers because of teh hard trigger pull.

Once I did the work to the gun I really liked it. You can tuck it anywhere in the car or on your person and it's light weight. I just happen to really like the weapon even though there are plenty of small autos out there that would fit the same bill. I just like the little revolver (call me crazy):dunno:

I shoot regular jacketed 38's at the range but I load it with JHP +P when I EDC it.

There is a nice video on youtube that shows how to smooth that trigger out real nice if you have the proper stone.

I don't think that you will be dissappointed with the gun no matter what. Since you seem to be going into it with your eyes wide open to some of it's drawbacks but are willing to accept them. It's a fun little gun to have in the collection. Good luck with it.

resdep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    John,
    These are great guns. I bought one from Midwest Shooters last December to replace an old Model 36. I love it. Carry it most of the time.
    You won't be dissapointed.
    resdep

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Nothing at all wrong with the 442 or 642. An internal hammer is nice for pocket carry and they stay very clean within.

Just to toss an option here, my absolute favorite j-frame is the M&P 340. Front nightsite, rear u-sight, very light and has a 357 chambering. Plus they're putting them out now without the internal lock. The biggest drawback to them is the price- but well worth every penny in my opinion.

As mainjet stated, a new set of reduced springs will greatly help accuracy. I would also recommend an extended firing pin to go with the new springs. All of these changes are drop in and very easy to do.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I really like my 442. No problems with it, locks up tight, no drag anywhere with the cylinder. The trigger does suck arse, from what I hear the pre-lock triggers are better. As long as you practice with it you will be able to hit what you need at distances it is designed for.
    The only changes I may end up making with mine are at some point I may want to add a Crimson trace laser grip, and if I can find someone to do a trigger job I may have that done some day.

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    look at the Ruger LCR in 357 will give you both calibers as a option and the trigger in the ruger is not bad to master, stagging the trigger will even make range time more accurate and it is very light loaded to carry concealed... just a thought ( I have the LCR in 38+P , would have gotten the 357 but came out a month after I purchased the +P)

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I bought the 642 for my wife. I probably shoot it more than she does, and have never had any problems. My only complaint, as you would get with any barrel this short, is that the empties will not totally clear the cylinder when ejected. Oh well :dunno:. I would still recommend this revolver to anyone.
    Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom