Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Chances are the LLama will run fine. BUT...there's a lot of them out there that aren't dependable.
    They're not a true 1911 and most standard 1911 parts won't work on them.
    IIRC, even the mags won't interchange on that model.
    I may be wrong and I didn't do the google-fu stuff. Just off the top of my head.
    IF I were considering buying it I would make sure of what I was getting for my money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please please please do not buy that gun.
    It is not a 1911.
    Some members may have them and enjoy them but odds are it will give you grief.

1911....cheap.........:nono:

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    You'll probably just wish you would have waited and bought something nicer. From my experience that's how it always goes. So, no, I wouldn't buy it. Once, you get around the 700-800 range, you can end up with a really decent 1911. Maybe even a bit cheaper.

Again, you'll wish you would have saved up and bought a decent 1911 eventually.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would not even call that a 1911 and to even refer to is as a 1911 is an insult to John Moses Browning. Save up and either get a Ruger 1911, Springfield Range Officer or a Colt Competition Pistol those are the most "affordable" actual quality 1911's on the market I think.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Please please please do not buy that gun.
    It is not a 1911.
    Some members may have them and enjoy them but odds are it will give you grief.

1911....cheap.........:nono:
    Snob, hater, parts is parts, I can build...oh nevermind!:wavey:
    Just kidding, DO NOT BUY A LLAMA, AN ALPACA, MAYBE, BUT NO LLAMAS!

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    You can get a Remington R1 at rural king right now for $499 after mfg rebate. I don't have much experience with the platform but I did handle a lot of different brands while I was shopping recently. You can "feel" the difference between the low end and the higher end guns. I ended up with a Springfield and I absolutely love it.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    For a low end 1911 I recommend American Tactical Imports. I carry an ATI Commander everyday. It feeds anything and functions well. I like how it is not JHP picky at all.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    You will be happy with the Remington R1. I would rate the R1 as one of the most accurate 1911 shooters for the money but could use some trigger work. My R1 will out shoot my Kimber and Springfield. Once you get to the 1k range the rest is just for looks and or preference in my opinion. If you get a 1911 and enjoy the platform I recommend graduating to an STI Trojan they are what I consider the best for the money. This is just my personal experience.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Seen too many bad reviews on Llamas. Even Rock Island would be a better choice if you're truly on a budget, but I have heard a lot of good about the Remington mentioned above, especially at its price point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seen too many bad reviews on Llamas. Even Rock Island would be a better choice if you're truly on a budget, but I have heard a lot of good about the Remington mentioned above, especially at its price point.

We have owned a few Remington offerings and the spouse currently has a SR1911 Commander. For the price point it is a reliable and accurate platform and answers to any Mods you my want to do.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Snob, hater, parts is parts, I can build...oh nevermind!:wavey:
    Just kidding, DO NOT BUY A LLAMA, AN ALPACA, MAYBE, BUT NO LLAMAS!

My alpacas approve this post! Just make sure you get alpacas that enjoy being hand-fed and are not inclined to do a lot of spitting.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can get a Remington R1 at rural king right now for $499 after mfg rebate. I don't have much experience with the platform but I did handle a lot of different brands while I was shopping recently. You can "feel" the difference between the low end and the higher end guns. I ended up with a Springfield and I absolutely love it.

Good option. Good, serviceable pistol. Great price.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No-one has mentioned it yet, but for that price point I'd buy a Taurus 1911 before I bought a Llama.
    As a matter of fact I did buy one, and while it's not a Colt or Kimber, it is a solid firearm and I'm happy with it.
    Standard 1911 mags fit and function as advertised as well.

O.K. start the flaming now...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No-one has mentioned it yet, but for that price point I'd buy a Taurus 1911 before I bought a Llama.
    As a matter of fact I did buy one, and while it's not a Colt or Kimber, it is a solid firearm and I'm happy with it.

Nope. If you like it and trust it then run it.

Just no Llama's.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    For that price range I just would buy another rock island. Bought a RI 9mm tatical fullsize on sale for 350 never had a problem. Otherwise I'd look at the ruger or remington offerings and then next being Springfield offerings.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville

I have shot a friends Taurus 1911 and I was surprised with the trigger. Remington needs to take some advice from Taurus in reference to the trigger. I don't know if the Taurus is a Series 70 or 80 but I know the R1 is an 80 and the Ruger is a 70. All of the Rock Island and Citadels I own are a series 70 and seem to have a better trigger than the R1.

Top Bottom