• ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    r.i.a.

I have 2 ,a compact and a full size tact.,both are great shooters right out of the box.Wish i could have found the compact in the tact. just checked at the gunsmith and he wants $125 just to cut the dovetails for a Novak rear & front . The customer service from rock island is great .look up the rock island arms section on the 1911 pistol org. site.plenty of other happy people, Don't know if I would sink lots of bucks in it to try to make a super custom ,just buy it and shoot and enjoy it .Armscore makes the R.I.A.in the Philippines they also make High standard 1911's and supply frames to S.T.I. On another note they are comming out with a 1911 in 9 mm compact sometime this year I can't wait to get one.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've seen some that shot good, and others that had problems. The magazines seem to be questionable. They are cast, rather than forged, like the Springfield Armory 1911's. I'd like to see a true pistolsmith give a review, checking how well the holes line up and hardness of the metal, etc.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    RIA guarantees that their weapons will function (barring incompetent amateur gunsmithing attempts and similar abuse). Their reps are always available over on the m1911.org forums. You can't go wrong with an RIA, because if something does go wrong they'll fix it for you with a minimum of hassle. Mine had no issues at all, though.

Edit: I'm convinced that the Tactical model is the best value for the money. Swap in night sights and a proper guide rod and you've got one hell of a shooter/carry weapon.

Josey Wales

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    hey NateIU guy, i like the idea of IU concealed carry on campus, i think that faculty should certainly be able to have some sort of protection device throughout the country. I graduated from Indiana State last year and i certainly would have liked to carry a handgun due to all of the METH HEAD idiots and wanna be gang bangers on and off campus. seems to me that IU is a bit safer, in my eyes, than ISU, from my experiences at both schools, but i think it should be legal, but unfortunately there would be some moron wannabe thugs that would ruin for the rest of us good folks, by lighting up some guy who just banged his old lady

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I've had a couple of RIAs. Never a problem! Thinking of getting a compact version and/or a long-slide next.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    I've got a compact tactical. It did have go back to the mothership for repair though. I was having FTF and FTRB way too often, even considering the "break-in period." It works great now. The factory supplied magazines are Novak and work great. I put slim alumagrips on mine and it conceals pretty well in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Note that it came with a GI style thumb safety, the extended one is an STI I added.

img0743fn5.jpg

img0746rb6.jpg

img0751yq9.jpg

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    jrogers what is a mater with the guide rod?

I don't care for full length guide rods. Some things JMB did can be improved upon (sights, beavertail, ambi safety for southpaws like me), but the guide rod/spring/plug system he designed works great without modification given a properly dimensioned pistol.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've got a compact tactical. It did have go back to the mothership for repair though. I was having FTF and FTRB way too often, even considering the "break-in period." It works great now. The factory supplied magazines are Novak and work great. I put slim alumagrips on mine and it conceals pretty well in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Note that it came with a GI style thumb safety, the extended one is an STI I added.

I can't tell from your pics, is the front sight dovetailed? I have a compact that came with the tactical trappings, but has milspec sights. It shoots fine.

I've got two RIAs, one compact, one Government. Both shoot fine, the only problems I've had were minor and I've corrected them myself. The Government had a soft firing pin that peened and stuck on the firing pin stop. The compact had some rough edges around the slide stop hole that caused the stop to come out when firing. I replaced the firing pin with a tooled steel version on the govt and cleaned up the roughness and replaced the slide stop on the compact. Both pistols have over 500rnds now.

That said, I think if you're going for your first 1911, go with a Springfield Armory or other higher end gun until you get used to the platform. Obviously, if I had purchased these guns as my first 1911, I might be less than enthused with the platform, especially if I had to send it back to RIA or pay a gunsmith.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom