Opinions needed! First long gun for a 12 year old.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hey folks, I have a friend in Texas who's son asked for his first gun for Christmas. Kinda warms the heart, don't it? :D

Anyway, she asked me what would I recommend and now I'm asking you. (My thoughts were one of those starter combo 22/410's) :dunno:

She doesn't want to pay over $200. I was also wondering if there are any dealers on here that would be willing to work out a good deal at a good price to ship to a dealer down in TX. They live in the Houston area.

BTW, her and her husband are going to include a gun safety class with a qualified instructor in their Christmas gift. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Here is part of her email to me:

As you saw on FB our son wants a gun for Christmas and I want him to have proper training and I found a range that will train a 12 1/2 yr old. Can you recommend a "starter" long gun for him? He has a lean muscular build and is about average size for 12, 4' 10 - 11" and about 89 lbs. He is very interested and I want him to learn correctly.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
    Blessings!

EDIT: My friend will be following this thread, so be nice guys! :draw:

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    a cricket is a great first rifle 22lr single shot cheap no more than a 100 new used even less.... they make them in about any color as well

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Anything .22LR should do the trick. It really just depends what he likes most. My 10 year old cousin for example loves trick shooting and being able to hit very small objects, so his first choice is a bolt action .22LR.

The .22/.410 over under's are really fun. His dad has one and that's what we generally shoot if we don't need a scope. I just have my doubts of being able to find one in decent condition for $200.

Savage makes some great .22LR rifles for under $200. Some with scopes some without. This should give you a good selection that you can even send to them.
    Savage Rimfire for Sale at BudsGunShop

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    normaly you can get a ruger 10/22 semi auto for under 200 new or right around there.... but i wouldnt recomend a semi for a first gun bolt action or single shot are best till he gets the basic saftey and handling down

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i will second the bolt action single-shot .22lr. that's the first type i ever shot. much easier to learn the basic operation and safety IMO.

i would go for something full sized as opposed to a cricket though, as a 12yo might not think its that "cool". the first one i ever shot was a full sized .22 and it was even scoped, and i was about 7 or 8.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When my daughter was 12 she noticed my love of firearms and immediately took to them. So the first rifle that was officially hers was an SAR-3. She became such a good shot that for Christmas when she was 16 I had a CMP legal Rock River AR-15 custom built for her.

Of course, your child might vary. :D

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Hey folks, I have a friend in Texas who's son asked for his first gun for Christmas. Kinda warms the heart, don't it? :D

Anyway, she asked me what would I recommend and now I'm asking you. (My thoughts were one of those starter combo 22/410's) :dunno:

She doesn't want to pay over $200. I was also wondering if there are any dealers on here that would be willing to work out a good deal at a good price to ship to a dealer down in TX. They live in the Houston area.

BTW, her and her husband are going to include a gun safety class with a qualified instructor in their Christmas gift. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Here is part of her email to me:

As you saw on FB our son wants a gun for Christmas and I want him to have proper training and I found a range that will train a 12 1/2 yr old. Can you recommend a "starter" long gun for him? He has a lean muscular build and is about average size for 12, 4' 10 - 11" and about 89 lbs. He is very interested and I want him to learn correctly.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
    Blessings!

EDIT: My friend will be following this thread, so be nice guys! :draw:
    That was describing me when I was 12. But my first long gun was a mosin.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Any of the makes listed so far would be good. I agree with whoever advised against the Cricket. For a 12 yr old boy go with a traditional style .22 lr. I would lean more towards the Remington, Savage and Marlin. Each will have models in the price range that you are looking for. Most all will be bolt action and will have clips for multiple shots before needing to reload.

Adding a scope would be a cool addition as well. And as you said, include courses in gun safety and proficiency. :thumbsup: Cool parent. :rockwoot:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    One you might look at is the TC Hotshot. I have handled them are they are good feeling in the hand and come with a good trigger.

However....he is already 4' 10 and both the TC and the Cricket maybe too short. Some other youth offerings have a bit more length of pull. He really needs to handle a few to find out what fits him. Unlike jeans, guns are a bit more difficult to exchange.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    It would depend on what the boy is going to be doing with it. A 22lr is aways a possibility; a 20ga shotgun could be more useful; He's big enough something like a .243 is also a possibility if he plans on doing medium game type hunting (deer, varmints etc). Obviously the 22lr is going to be the cheapest to shoot. Hard to make a recommendation without knowing more. My first gun was a 12Ga - I was ~14; handled it just fine.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would look into one of Savage's entry level .22 bolt guns, my brother bought one the Steven's .22lr for well under 200 new for his son 11yrs old. He has alot of fun with it, and its been very queality for the money.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    AK-47! Children around the world younger than 12 can successfully handle this firearm.

Really now, a nice 10/22 would serve him well for many decades to come.

walbertb13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    I have to second the Marlin 60. It is a great starter rifle that can be used as the child gets older. This was my first rifle and I still use it today. It has a very well developed safety. It also has a built in scope rail, so it can be used to teach the child how to use rifled sights and a scope. The one downside is that it is semi auto, so there is a safety factor there. But, as long as the child is taught proper gun handling, it is a great buy. They can be found anywhere from $115-$150 used and are around $180 new.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    A bolt action .22LR is the gun for a twelve year old to learn how to shoot.
    More fun than a single shot, but won't pound through ammo like a semi-auto and will be easier to develop discipline and eye for safety when manually operating the bolt.
    .22 LR is the cheapest ammo by far.

Search around for the Marlin 22-XT. They are in the below $200 price category. Magazine fed, and iron sights. Can get a scope later. This has the Microgroove barrel and ProFire Adjustable trigger. Very accurate out of the box. Will hold reasonable resale value if you ever want to resell.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom