• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    H&R 12ga Single shot w/ Survivor Stock.(has survival-Altoids gear in buttstock) Remington Slugs, fiber optic front sight, stock and barrel camo wrapped for quiet carry. All extra sling staps camo duct taped. Kabar knife and mini mag lite on belt.

Standard Orange vest carry extras: Monocular, compass/map, Bic lighter, faro rod, couple of Hershey Bars, bag of trail mix in freezer zip bag.

Shoulder carry:Aluminum Dove stool, seat warmer camo, 2 qt canteen.

Super light backpack: rain poncho, cordage, part roll of tp (in zip bag w/ wipes), 1 pr spare socks, wool fingerless gloves, fleece balclava, camo/orange reversible boonie hat, deer gut kit(long gloves-heart, liver bag, drag rope,) Buck 110 knife, diamond sharpener stick for knives.

Charged cell phone(shut off), hunt license, wallet and car keys, in pants pocket.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    QUOTE=LtScott14;5428167]H&R 12ga Single shot w/ Survivor Stock.(has survival-Altoids gear in buttstock) Remington Slugs, fiber optic front sight, stock and barrel camo wrapped for quiet carry. All extra sling staps camo duct taped. Kabar knife and mini mag lite on belt.

Standard Orange vest carry extras: Monocular, compass/map, Bic lighter, faro rod, couple of Hershey Bars, bag of trail mix in freezer zip bag.

Super light backpack: rain poncho, cordage, part roll of tp (in zip bag w/ wipes), 1 pr spare socks, wool fingerless gloves, fleece balclava, camo/orange reversible boonie hat, deer gut kit(long gloves-heart, liver bag, drag rope,) Buck 110 knife, diamond sharpener stick for knives.

Charged cell phone(shut off), hunt license, wallet and car keys, in pants pocket.[/QUOTE]

All this to go 300 yards from your truck ? :):

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I like all the .44 Mag hunters!

I'm running a Winchester 1892 in .44 mag, with my S&W 629 in .44 mag as well.

As Chris Kyle said, 90% of being cool is looking cool!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    H&R 12ga Single shot w/ Survivor Stock.(has survival-Altoids gear in buttstock) Remington Slugs, fiber optic front sight, stock and barrel camo wrapped for quiet carry. All extra sling staps camo duct taped. Kabar knife and mini mag lite on belt.

Charged cell phone(shut off), hunt license, wallet and car keys, in pants pocket.

Sounds like a pretty good kit. I take much the same but included some water, a whistle (to help draw attention to myself if in need of rescue), and glow sticks.

Amboy, all joking aside my walk is about 1/2 mile, which is longer than I want to try to crawl if I for some reason would have an injury that limited my ability to walk out under my power (such as broken or sprained ankle from slipping when entering or exiting my stand). Granted most don't need a full overnight pack for a typical deer hunt, having enough to survive for a few hours or even overnight could be key if you were injured or otherwise became too ill to get back to your vehicle. It doesn't add much weight and could make all the difference in the 0.0000001% chance you actually need it. I took the same bag hunting out west (several miles from our vehicle) and it was easy enough to pack then, so decided to keep using it for deer season.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Good kit! That is thorough preparation and a smart way to go Lt.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Couple days ago, did the 3/4 mile trek to the deer stand. Had to ditch the backpack, but added bib insulated coveralls. 18 degrees w/ 15-20mi winds. Wind/temp was +2 degrees. After first hour, put the poncho over my clothes,(mil surp-nylon) and it cut down the wind big time. Not a deer in sight, plenty of tracks, cold temps took over after 4 1/2 hrs. Trekked back, realized Daniel Boone probably used bear furs and buckskin to stay warm. I am not he. I also downsized my Canteen to a pint sized drinking water bottle, and found my extra water frozen rock solid in the trunk.

The H&R Shotgun was lighter to carry, down side is single shot. Unsure how many would actually get 2 or 3 backup shots? Still had some decent gear, less some weight.
    Being on the stealth is important, so maybe less can do more? Glad I rolled the poncho and stuck it in my Orange Vest-rear game pocket in back. Was a survivor thought.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well with work, vehicle BS and kid medical................looks like I will dust off the MZ and try to fill my bonus tag later.
    Thompson Center Hawken "Silver Elite" .50 cal.
    Dread taking that cheekbuster out, but it works.

Groundblind with propane heater too.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Ruger .44 Mag Carbine - Old school tube fed.. shooting Winchester White Box JSP

and it made meat Friday afternoon...

B8EF3BD5-4A26-4403-8CDF-6FE5D0A36B18_zpsj80if5se.jpg
    [/IMG]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom