• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    i was just having this conversation/thought with my wife! as we also reside (quite happily) in grnfld and there are so few options round here. maybe i missed it but is that old gun store available? or you might be thinking something nicer...more inviting? hey man...good luck, even if you beat us to the punch! the area needs it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I hope you have a huge amount of capital for stock.

That seems to be the biggest issue with smaller shops.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have a decent amount of money saved, but not an infinite amount. It would definitely start out small.

That brings up a good point though - If you are starting from scratch, how much capital would it take to start up a gun shop? I would like to have a decent inventory and a good supply of ammo.

I like to dabble in the high end stuff. Is there a market for that in Greenfield, or do I just need to stick to the tactical and run of the mill stuff?

I hope you have a huge amount of capital for stock.

That seems to be the biggest issue with smaller shops.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have a decent amount of money saved, but not an infinite amount. It would definitely start out small.

THat could be a killer before you even get started.

I will stop by a gun store a few times, if I dont like what I see I dont waste my time anymore.:dunno:

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers

That brings up a good point though - If you are starting from scratch, how much capital would it take to start up a gun shop? I would like to have a decent inventory and a good supply of ammo.

I like to dabble in the high end stuff. Is there a market for that in Greenfield, or do I just need to stick to the tactical and run of the mill stuff?

I think that if you simply need to stock items that sell well. Period.

High end stuff can always be special ordered especially if you are giving special INGO member discounts! :D

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I think that if you simply need to stock items that sell well. Period.

High end stuff can always be special ordered especially if you are giving special INGO member discounts! :D

What he said. From what I have heard once you get all the paper work done with the good ol government you get all the connections to distributors and such, like I said this is hearsay. This place is a great spot to get for your area so eat it up man!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Maybe start small out of your garage or something just doing online stuff to keep the over head low?

Might have to get zoning approval incase the neighbors complain abou tthe UPS man coming every day... unless they don't care.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I'm in Hancock county and I would love to see a local shop.

Keeping stock is important, but I would say that if you are reasonable on your transfer fees and don't get pissy if someone wants to special order something I think you could do well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i was just having this conversation/thought with my wife! as we also reside (quite happily) in grnfld and there are so few options round here. maybe i missed it but is that old gun store available? or you might be thinking something nicer...more inviting? hey man...good luck, even if you beat us to the punch! the area needs it.

Its not available anymore :D

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd definitely like to see something in Greenfield. That's were I'm from, so my parents still reside there. I guarantee you they'd give business as well as other family and shooting buddies in that area.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    You mentioned FFL transfers, as well as quick turnaround on orders. I believe the FFL transfers would be a great service right from the beginning, since it involves minimal capital investment. Don't most of the carriers deliver in the morning hours? Do you have someone who can accept the packages while you're at your day job?

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I will need to work out the shipment thing as I won't be able to be there during the day. It is doable though.

You mentioned FFL transfers, as well as quick turnaround on orders. I believe the FFL transfers would be a great service right from the beginning, since it involves minimal capital investment. Don't most of the carriers deliver in the morning hours? Do you have someone who can accept the packages while you're at your day job?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    hell yes youd have my business, i live in greenfield and do lots of driveing to buy,Sell,and trade firearms. i would to go into the other gun shop everyday he was open just to see if he had anything i couldnt live without, when he was still in business. and purchased several firearms from him.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Just my .02 ... and I'm rare:-)

The only shops I stop at repeated offer quality used firearms. Obviously, I can walk into Gander ... or shop GB, and buy anything new I could desire. I don't think I've bought a new gun in 20yrs.

FFL Transfers are a big plus. Lots of people shopping the internet, and looking for a place to bring guns in. Normal fees are $20, $15 seems more reasonable, and I typically pay $10.

Good luck, I don't think I know of any other shops in your area. Small one in Shelbyville, another in Greensburg, and New Castle. There's not one in Indy that I'll go to.

Take care, Neal

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Normal fees are $20, $15 seems more reasonable, and I typically pay $10

I think thats pretty low honestly... i think 25 is a fair price all around. with the internet the way it is these days transfers are a big part of whats keeping the gunshop afloat. if you say rent is 800 a month not including utilities or anything else, thats 32 transfers. a store is lucky if they two or three a week. if the store is able to make it on its own and wants to provide transfers at a low price as a service to its customers thats fine, but i dont think 25 is unreasonable at all. and if more stores charged that then it might make the local market just a bit more competitive to the E market.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I don't think $20-25 is too much. Especially since you have to enter it into your books and keep the records for a long time. When you pay for a transfer, you arent just paying for a form and a phone call - a lot of guys don't realize that.

Top Bottom