• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have been thinking about opening a gun store. I have always thought that Greenfield really needs a good gun store. I am not looking to get into a gun superstore sort of thing... Quite the opposite. I would like to base this store off of good customer service, and quick turnaround on orders.

I am a busy professional, and really don't have time to keep it open during the day, so I am thinking that I could be open from 4-8:00pm through the week and normal business hours on the weekends. Of course through deer season, I would have extended/early hours. (I could name it "The Spare Time Gun Shop")

It would be fairly small (maybe a little bigger than the Rendezvous was) and would have a lot of ammo and supplies. It would have to be on US 40 or North on SR 9 so people will know it is there.

Like I said before, I would have good customer service, a local place in Hancock County for FFL transfers and hopefully end up with a good source for some extra cash.

Am I totally off base here? I know the hours might mess some people up, but I think if the product is good enough in a market like Hancock county, it could work.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Most businesses start out part time, thats the name of the game. Plus normal business hours for gun stores are usually normal business hours for everyone one that works. Good luck with everything!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Three words: "Open On Sunday". Seriously. I don't know what it is about gun stores, but few are open on Sunday. Even if it's only 12-5. You wanna be closed two days a week? Make it Monday and Tuesday or something. The weekends are the only times I can drive two hours to get to a gun shop (and I WILL drive two hours to get to a gun shop), and Sunday afternoon is usually when I'm bored and looking for somewhere to spend a little money.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Three words: "Open On Sunday". Seriously. I don't know what it is about gun stores, but few are open on Sunday. Even if it's only 12-5. You wanna be closed two days a week? Make it Monday and Tuesday or something. The weekends are the only times I can drive two hours to get to a gun shop (and I WILL drive two hours to get to a gun shop), and Sunday afternoon is usually when I'm bored and looking for somewhere to spend a little money.
    +1

I mean, I could go to Cabela's or Gander, but sometimes I want other options.

Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If you have a shooting range with a retail shop in greenfield, you'll have to hold a gun to my head to get me to leave. I work at Novelty and have nothing to do after work. Greenfield area lacks a good range and shop.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks for all the information. I am with you all on the Sunday thing. If I were closed, it would be Tuesday-Wednesday or something.

As far as the range thing, I could only imagine that insurance would be astronomical. Are there any agents out there that can give me quotes? Insurance is the only thing I am foggy about.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I live in Greenfield and I would love to be a regular customer. I also wouldn't mind being a part time employee, I could work weekend hours. I do have a LTCH so I would be able to be an armed employee which is a must in a gun store. I have some sales and customer service experience too. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Thanks for all the information. I am with you all on the Sunday thing. If I were closed, it would be Tuesday-Wednesday or something.

As far as the range thing, I could only imagine that insurance would be astronomical. Are there any agents out there that can give me quotes? Insurance is the only thing I am foggy about.
    At our last conservation club it was stated that the NRA is just about the only organization that sells liability insurance to gun ranges, because it has become politically incorrect. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that the NRA sells gun range insurance.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I live in Greenfield and I would love to be a regular customer. I also wouldn't mind being a part time employee, I could work weekend hours. I do have a LTCH so I would be able to be an armed employee which is a must in a gun store. I have some sales and customer service experience too. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything.
    Technically you don't need to have a LTCH to have a pistol on you at your fixed place of business.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    my cousin owns a very small gun shop in Ohio. even though it is small and may look like they dont sell a whole lot, he is always busy and sells a bunch of guns. he also does a ton of reloading, 50 bmg and others. he is closed on sunday which aparrently is a bad idea according to the guys on here:D

but :+1:on having this dream!

keep the 2nd amendment alive:patriot:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I think the idea of being open in the evenings is a great idea. My biggest complaint of all shops is that most close by 6. This means that to the vast majority of the world who works during the day, they have to go straight there from work and still only have 30 mins to shop, or not go at all.

another idea to is hire someone to run the shop during the day or on your days off so as to keep the shop open 7 days a week.

btw if you are looking for such an employee, feel free to give me a call :)

Top Bottom