• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    People seriously do this?

I could tell you stories. I've got users who completely lose their minds if you move their primary app icon one space to the right. Talk about an inability to adapt.

As for the screen capture thing, the only app they know is Word (or Excel, or whatever. It's different for each person.) They use it for everything. It's their file manager, their word processor, their e-mail client, everything. It never occurs to them that there's a better tool for doing the thing they're about to do, and so they'll go through an incredibly convoluted series of steps to do a task so that they don't have to use anything but their primary app. They cannot be trained.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Dear Users,

Stop taking screen-captures, printing them out, then scanning them back in and dropping the scanned image into Word before e-mailing it to me. You're doing it wrong and it makes me want to scream.

Sincerely,
    Every IT Sysadmin In The World

I didn't know I could send you stuff with so few steps ... thanks for the tip!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    545575_284572958295410_177141329038574_609702_1841000325_n.jpg

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I suspected that this ng was founded (or @ least run) by libertatian IT types (because it works so well). Now I'm sure of it. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I don't think I've ever done it either. Ya know, irate IT guys was an ongoing skit on Sat. Night Live :D

or, let me put it this way, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I promise never to do it again.....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They're already using about ten too many steps. How will adding another step help?

don't need those steps if your "screenshot" is really a picture on your iphone and then you hit email. Only a few steps. I've sent iphone videos to our IT guys for our electronic medical record goofiness. That seems to be the only way they can understand what I'm talking about since I have process issues, not individual command issues.

Do you have a remote access system where you can take over their desktop and watch them fumble and stumble? If you activate the webcam you can see the shadows on their furrowed brow and the irritation on their chin from the constant scratching.

In the end some people just won't get it no matter how easy the directions are

farside_push_pull_door.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    don't need those steps if your "screenshot" is really a picture on your iphone and then you hit email. Only a few steps. I've sent iphone videos to our IT guys for our electronic medical record goofiness. That seems to be the only way they can understand what I'm talking about since I have process issues, not individual command issues.

So, you want them to take a photo of their screen? That will be even less legible than a printed-then-rescanned capture. Remember, the reason they're doing this is because they want me to see the error message they're getting when they mash buttons on the magic typewriter with their sausage fingers.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    6212001e.jpg

i dunno, it was a tad blurry on the full screen but legible. one but I'd think the error message would be just fine if they were centering on one thing. Perhaps they need a "typing wand"?
    ss2.jpg
    ss.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i dunno, it was a tad blurry on the full screen but legible. one but I'd think the error message would be just fine if they were centering on one thing. Perhaps they need a "typing wand"?

If I could train them to do that, I could train them to just paste it directly into e-mail.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Teach them the wonders of the print scrn key and the magnificent ctrl+v. Just write those two things down on sticky notes and post them EVERYWHERE!

Top Bottom