• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    This all sounds a little like the last time I was invited to ACC for a USPSA match,

Wow, I don't think I can say anything to take the bad taste out of your mouth.

I will say this. We have had a change of leadership at ACC. And in the 9 months the new BOD has been seated they have increased our membership 3 fold. What might have been in the past is just that past. ACC is a different range then it was just short time ago. You just don't grow to the number of different type of matches held there. And the number of shooters we have showing up, with the kind of treatment you endured.

You come back to a USPSA match. Look me up and I will show you the changes. Or better yet come to the open house and meet the membership we have now.

Mike

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    um, er, what's acc:dunno:

ACC is Atlanta Conservation Club, in Atlanta, (Indiana). 8 outdoor pistol bays. 4 (or more) matches per month are open to the public. Memberships are available if you want to (gasp) practice. Key card gated. COLD range. (Loaded guns at the firing line only.)

Atlanta Conservation Club has more info than I could ever type here!!!

About 30 minutes north of Indy, to answer the most common question, though...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This all sounds a little like the last time I was invited to ACC for a USPSA match,

I will say this. We have had a change of leadership at ACC. ... You just don't grow to the number of different type of matches held there. And the number of shooters we have showing up, with the kind of treatment you endured.

Mike

I attended a match at ACC for the first time a couple of months ago, and the welcome was among the warmest I have received (not to imply that ANY have been cold). I am not new to USPSA, but relatively new to Indiana, so I am still getting to some clubs for the first time. Larry struck me as very sincere in ensuring people enjoyed the match and in building attendance. I know nothing of past leadership and can only talk to my recent experience (July '09).

It fell off my to-do list, but I had been meaning to drop a note to the MD to suggest a different squadding procedure... the "hand your sheet to an RO" procedure only works if you know who the ROs are by name, which someone new to the club doesn't. A squad list at signup where you can put your name down in an empty slot and make your way to the correct bay is much more new-guy friendly than trying to figure out who the ROs are, if they have room, and what bay you're supposed to go to....

just food for thought.

-rvb

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Today is the day. I hope that any of you who have wanted to try the shooting sports will stop by Atlanta Conservation Club today. Or if you are looking for a place to shoot an afternoon come on out. It looks like it is going to be a beauty of a day.

Please look me up. I would be happy to put a face with a name.

Mike Thompson

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I just got home from the open house and it was great. 4 hours just wasn't enough. I usually shoot uspsa/steel but today I got to shoot idpa and a little 3-gun along with the others and it was a blast.
    thanks to Jim and everyone at the club for a great day and a big thanks to Mike(a zone) for letting me run through a couple extra times.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    It was a great day yesterday at our open house. We had a great number of families on the range and the kids had a blast. I had a little fellow shoot our USPSA stage with a borrowed 22. I bet he is still smiling. And the biggest pay off for the fellows who brought the family. Mom got to shoot and now has a better understanding of what all the fuss is about. And dad stands a better chance to win the (I gotta shoot a match this weekend or I would work on the honey do list) discussion.

Sorry if I missed some of you yesterday. I would have liked to meet ya. But I really sorry for you all who did not come. You missed a really good time.

smithy12b thought he was practicing a stage that he would see at the match today. Don't tell him but it will be a lot different........

Mike

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone take any pictures?

We took a few. Here are a couple of a 6 year old boy who had never fired a gun before. His mom and dad brought him to the safety stations where we went over the rules of safe gun handling, stance, grip, basic sight alignment, breath control and trigger squeeze. He got to fire 10 shots from my P-22 and did very well! Please note my fancy schmancy INGO Tactical hat! :D I did not have to support his hand, but had my hand ready to assist 'just in case'. I'll post a few more later.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    ACC is Atlanta Conservation Club, in Atlanta, (Indiana). 8 outdoor pistol bays. 4 (or more) matches per month are open to the public. Memberships are available if you want to (gasp) practice. Key card gated. COLD range. (Loaded guns at the firing line only.)

Atlanta Conservation Club has more info than I could ever type here!!!

About 30 minutes north of Indy, to answer the most common question, though...

Thanks G7, little far to drive for me but sounds like everybody had a good time.:patriot:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Sign me up!

I went yesterday along with my 14 year old son. We had a great time. Arrived at 1215, left at 4pm. Went to every "station" and had a ball.

EVERY ACC member that I spoke with was really helpful and just plain easy to talk with. I was just incredibly impressed with the way those guys presented this "open house".

Experienced or beginner, everyone that I saw appeared to be having a good time and learning more about the club. I saw existing safety rules being enforced (good thing) without the "rule breaker" feeling like an idiot. Good stuff...

I joined. My 14 year old went back and told his older brothers how cool it was and that they needed to check it out.,..Money well spent! :yesway:

Good job ACC!

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Welcome aboard PappyD. I am glad you had such a good time and I know you will enjoy your range time with your boys. Check the web page and make it to a Board meeting. Look forward to meeting you.

On another note I would like to comment on IndyGunSafety. This fellow never got a break on Saturday. But every time I got a chance to look in on him he was giving some of the best basic instruction I have ever seen. Some folks are born to teach and he is the real deal. I saw young and old alike leaving his stage with big grins. And more than once I had a youngster come to my stage and tell me what he or she had just learned. Kudo's on a fantastic job.

Mike

KMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    We had a fantastic turnout! Most of the credit goes to Mike... who I hope is taking it easy tonight after working his butt off all weekend at the range. First one there, last one to leave both days! And more on Randy with INDY GUN SAFETY... I was very impressed with his teaching skills on the basic pistol instruction. I watched and listened as he taught a new shooter, and friend of mine, some very good skills. Much better than I could have done! I would definitely recommend him for new shooters.
    Thanks to all who helped and participated. We'll do this again.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I was super sick after eating some leftover steak and I am very disappointed I missed this. I realize the odds of it are pretty slim but will there be another one of these before the weather turns sour?

Top Bottom