• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    After a range session my son and I often stop and eat. Guess where we leave our guns while we eat? Hint: we're not attention whores.

I carry my gun openly, am I an attention whore? I don't leave it in the vehicle.

Or are you simply referring to long guns? Criminals steal guns every day; you may want to keep an eye on yours. I am in no way saying you don't keep an eye on your vehicle when eating, because I generally do when I can. However, if I couldn't keep an eye on my vehicle where I had a long gun stored, I may carry it wherever I am. Let's just hope I don't have more than 1 long gun:laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As time progresses, I wonder how many people who are currently averse to carrying rifles in public will eventually view this issue differently. I can see how feelings about open carry of handguns have changed over time. I wonder how many who have been frustrated by condemnation of their mode of handgun carry will at some point see the correspondence between that and how they view people who are carrying long guns.

It could happen.

It could be the intent.

Some people doing it may be knuckleheads, but it's not because they're carrying long guns. Some people who will carry long guns in public won't be knuckleheads. It's kind of like people who carry handguns openly.

We shall see.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Could these people pushing the limits for us "pro-gunners" and getting businesses to restrict open carrying actually be plants from the Anti-gunners side? I mean if I could claim to be an "anti-gunner" and do harm (while appearing to try and help) to their cause I gladly would for the sake of our rights.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Could these people pushing the limits for us "pro-gunners" and getting businesses to restrict open carrying actually be plants from the Anti-gunners side? I mean if I could claim to be an "anti-gunner" and do harm (while appearing to try and help) to their cause I gladly would for the sake of our rights.

I used to wonder the same thing. The more I learn about the situation down in Texas, however, the more I think MDA took advantage of how openly OCT was posting about their activities on social media. Thankfully, OCT is learning too and trying to avoid more negative press but it will be hard to fully prevent it in a grassroots organization with thousands of members.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I used to wonder the same thing. The more I learn about the situation down in Texas, however, the more I think MDA took advantage of how openly OCT was posting about their activities on social media. Thankfully, OCT is learning too and trying to avoid more negative press but it will be hard to fully prevent it in a grassroots organization with thousands of members.
    MDA is trying to out PR OCT with their message using any unsavory tactics they can muster. If that takes misrepresenting the context of photos or falsely reporting things then they will do so.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    As time progresses, I wonder how many people who are currently averse to carrying rifles in public will eventually view this issue differently. I can see how feelings about open carry of handguns have changed over time. I wonder how many who have been frustrated by condemnation of their mode of handgun carry will at some point see the correspondence between that and how they view people who are carrying long guns.

It could happen.

It could be the intent.

Some people doing it may be knuckleheads, but it's not because they're carrying long guns. Some people who will carry long guns in public won't be knuckleheads. It's kind of like people who carry handguns openly.

We shall see.

When I started carrying 6 years ago, I concealed my handgun. At the time I thought to do otherwise was irresponsible in today's society. Then, the more I learned about politics and the gun culture, I did modify my position to 100% conceal carry personally yet okay with others who chose to open carry. I still thought it was irresponsible to carry a rifle in public.

Today, I open carry my handgun wherever I can. I would even carry my rifle out in public yet probably still wouldn't carry it into a private business. My thinking has changed significantly over the time I have owned a handgun. So, I am dismayed by how vehement the anger is toward OCT by those who profess to be pro-open carry of handguns. Hind sight is 20/20 and to their credit, OCT has shown they are willing to change tactics as necessary.

I personally think all this open carry controversy has been a good thing. Maybe I am being too optimistic. However, I think we are about to see a surge of interest in open carrying the same way gun purchases shot through the roof when President Obama was first elected. Time will tell of course but one of the reasons I began to open carry my handgun was in response to OCT controversy. I have various reasons for open carrying but have had enough positive experiences to make me think I should have done it sooner. How many other people living in the U.S. are currently evaluating their position on open carry? I don't do it to get attention but in my own way I am drawing attention to open carry in my local community. Since open carriers are such a small percentage of gun owners who actually carry, just having more open carriers can only increase the total number of gun owners in the coming months.

Deep down, I think the people behind Moms Demand Action understand this concept so they HAVE to destroy the exploding, visible open carry movement in Texas before it starts spreading to states where it is legal to open carry. The only way to do this is focus on the few individuals who would carry rifles into stores/restaurants. Anything else would sound too reasonable even to the uninformed. It will be hard for MDA and their backers to enact meaningful gun control in the near future with so many former fence-sitters now taking an interest in self-defense.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

It could happen.

It could be the intent.

We shall see.

I think a lot if this is the way it's done. There is a huge difference between a rifle slung over the back walking somewhere and deliberately bringing 5 guys into a restaurant for the sole purpose of being confrontational.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    SteveM4A1 said: Yes, we should stop exercising our rights so we don't offend others and then have those rights infringed upon. Let's place blame where it belongs; on those who wish to take away freedom, not those who exercise freedom how they see fit.

You have the right to cover yourself in fresh feces, walk into a nice restaurant and sit down next to a family that doesn't enjoy the pleasure of fresh feces as much as you do but you don't do it! Why? Because it's not done in polite circles! While this is extreme I would be willing to bet money that there are a lot of people that would rather see that than see some fat slob in camos marching around mcdonalds with an "assault weapon" on a ready sling.

This is NOT a direct attack on Steve or the way he thinks. I choose this scenario because in a lot of freedom loving Americans minds this is how "redneck gun-lovin', coors swillin' tobacco spittin' firearms enthusiasts are portrayed. Just because we can doesn't mean we should in some situations. Instead of bltch slapping them in the face with an AK47 because it's your right and they don't dictate how you are going to act why not break them in gently with an oc'd sidearm? Yeah I know, again it's not your place to accomodate them and no I am not saying that we should "compromise" anymore, I'm saying that a gentle nudge works wonders in many instances. Oh well, you know what they say about opinions and this forum is lousy for this type of discussion. I did notice today that Target has now announced no firearms in their stores. The dominos are starting to fall and Bloomie and his minions are smiling!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Good, so you support OCT as well?

Nope. I think they do us more harm than good. Instead of just "living free" they want to create the "in your face, now deal with it." Situation. I OC frequently, and if I thought it was necessary I would OC my rifle the same way; just going about my business and happen to be carrying. These guys are looking for trouble. They will find it. And so will we. MDA may be the ultimate bad guy but these guys are unwitting patsies. As mentioned above, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they are in cahoots with anti 2A groups; just pitching slow balls in over the plate.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    SteveM4A1 said: Yes, we should stop exercising our rights so we don't offend others and then have those rights infringed upon. Let's place blame where it belongs; on those who wish to take away freedom, not those who exercise freedom how they see fit.

You have the right to cover yourself in fresh feces, walk into a nice restaurant and sit down next to a family that doesn't enjoy the pleasure of fresh feces as much as you do but you don't do it! Why? Because it's not done in polite circles! While this is extreme I would be willing to bet money that there are a lot of people that would rather see that than see some fat slob in camos marching around mcdonalds with an "assault weapon" on a ready sling.

I don't do it because that sounds disgusting to me.

This is NOT a direct attack on Steve or the way he thinks. I choose this scenario because in a lot of freedom loving Americans minds this is how "redneck gun-lovin', coors swillin' tobacco spittin' firearms enthusiasts are portrayed. Just because we can doesn't mean we should in some situations. Instead of bltch slapping them in the face with an AK47 because it's your right and they don't dictate how you are going to act why not break them in gently with an oc'd sidearm? Yeah I know, again it's not your place to accomodate them and no I am not saying that we should "compromise" anymore, I'm saying that a gentle nudge works wonders in many instances. Oh well, you know what they say about opinions and this forum is lousy for this type of discussion. I did notice today that Target has now announced no firearms in their stores. The dominos are starting to fall and Bloomie and his minions are smiling!

I do OC a sidearm everyday, and I do not OC long guns. That said, however, I will not criticize those who wish to or sit back idly while others attack them for exercising their rights how they see fit. I am a live and let live person, and I realize there are plenty on here that are not. I also try not to be a hypocrite.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nope. I think they do us more harm than good. Instead of just "living free" they want to create the "in your face, now deal with it." Situation. I OC frequently, and if I thought it was necessary I would OC my rifle the same way; just going about my business and happen to be carrying. These guys are looking for trouble. They will find it. And so will we. MDA may be the ultimate bad guy but these guys are unwitting patsies. As mentioned above, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they are in cahoots with anti 2A groups; just pitching slow balls in over the plate.

No, they are not.

MDA does not need to keep spreading lies about OCT.

You and a lot of "gun owners" are doing it for them.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The thing people don't seem to understand is that in today's climate the policy makers are just looking for an excuse to ban anything and everything. Yeah, I know, it's not constitutional and it's not right. Irrelevant. That's the political world we live in right now. We should be showing the "non-carry" world that we are responsible and safe. Instead we get these "activists" giving fodder to the Antis faster than they can use it.

Joe INGO says "guys in a restaurant with ARs, see!?!? Nobody got hurt!" But the guy at Chilis is thinking; "****, is this the next mass killing?" When he leaves he doesn't feel like he had a quality dining experience because the whole time he is in code red situational awareness watching the dumbasses pose for photos. How does he know you aren't gonna shoot the place up? He doesn't. So, guess what happens next, he complains to Chilis. "If you are gonna let guys carry assault weapons--I'm not eating there anymore." Chilis does the math: thousands of guests not OCing rifles. 5 that do. Hmmmm. That's a difficult policy decision.

Also, guess what? MDA claims victory and puts pics if Cletii with ARs all over the media. It's a lose-lose-lose strategy.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    No, they are not.

MDA does not need to keep spreading lies about OCT.

You and a lot of "gun owners" are doing it for them.

Ive seen the videos. I'm not sure what else to call it.

No. no they don't. But they will. And to think they are gonna stop is naive at best and clueless to be certain.

Blah blah blah. We haven't spread any lies. We just understand how this group looks to the public with their behavior and recognize it to be counter-productive. Why? Because, my dear cce, YOU don't make policy. YOU don't draft legislation. YOUR opinion of guys doesn't matter at all as far as these restaurants are concerned. MDA has them so outgunned (funny, neh?) they aren't even in the same league.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ive seen the videos. I'm not sure what else to call it.

No. no they don't. But they will. And to think they are gonna stop is naive at best and clueless to be certain.

Blah blah blah. We haven't spread any lies. We just understand how this group looks to the public with their behavior and recognize it to be counter-productive. Why? Because, my dear cce, YOU don't make policy. YOU don't draft legislation. YOUR opinion of guys doesn't matter at all as far as these restaurants are concerned. MDA has them so outgunned (funny, neh?) they aren't even in the same league.

Lies you are spreading (cut from your above posts):
    [OCT are] deliberately bringing 5 guys into a restaurant for the sole purpose of being confrontational.
    Instead of just "living free" they want to create the "in your face, now deal with it."
    These guys are looking for trouble.

MDA wouldn't have them outgunned if a huge number of "gun owners" weren't so quick to spout off lies to vilify people who enjoy freedom in a slightly different way.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Lies you are spreading (cut from your above posts):
    [OCT are] deliberately bringing 5 guys into a restaurant for the sole purpose of being confrontational.
    Instead of just "living free" they want to create the "in your face, now deal with it."
    These guys are looking for trouble.

MDA wouldn't have them outgunned if a huge number of "gun owners" weren't so quick to spout off lies to vilify people who enjoy freedom in a slightly different way.

lol. What, there weren't 5 guys? It was hard to tell exactly how many were there. There are lots of ways to "enjoy freedom." Many are very very stupid.

Top Bottom