• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I pretty much stick to OC for all the reasons OC is good. I'm usually pretty courteous to people anyway, but I've been more conscious of my manner since I started carrying. I don't like the image as coming off as an angry man with a gun. I'd rather people get a positive vibe.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This was something that I noticed a couple of months back. Generally, I'm a straight-faced, no-nonsense kind of guy. When I'm out in public, its because I have a mission, I'm not there to have fun. I am out to retrieve more peanut butter/milk/bread, and when I reach that objective, I will then be moving to my extraction point. :p

As such, I tend to walk fairly rapidly, and I don't smile a whole lot...until I started OC'ing. Then I found myself going out of my way to hold more doors open for people, and smile, and talk with random strangers...I think this is a good thing, obviously.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This was something that I noticed a couple of months back. Generally, I'm a straight-faced, no-nonsense kind of guy. When I'm out in public, its because I have a mission, I'm not there to have fun. I am out to retrieve more peanut butter/milk/bread, and when I reach that objective, I will then be moving to my extraction point. :p

As such, I tend to walk fairly rapidly, and I don't smile a whole lot...until I started OC'ing. Then I found myself going out of my way to hold more doors open for people, and smile, and talk with random strangers...I think this is a good thing, obviously.

For some reason I read that in Dan Akroyd's voice from Dragnet LMAO:):

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    [/QUOTE]
    She certainly didn't seem nervous with me, just guns. As luck would have it, mine was well behaved that day and just sat there in the holster as we talked. :):
    [/QUOTE]

Awesome.
    Logic in its humorous form.
    I will have to add that to some of my conversations along with the many other bits of wisdom picked up from this forum.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I'm certainly glad OC is working out for some but I just can't see that it's very tactically sound. I mean I can only see two positive aspects to OC:

1) No more clothing and hot weather problems (covering garments and all that jazz)

2) Some types of criminals would be deterred by the very site of your gun.

But the potential negatives are quite numerous:

1) Problems with LEOs ignorant of the law

2) "ooooooooh he's got a gun!" from various sheeple

3) Some criminals might see you as a great way to get themselves a gun (especially if you are NOT a physically large/intimidating looking guy).

4) Some criminals intent on mayhem my see you as the FIRST target

5) Store managers asking you to leave the premises

And on and on and on....hardly seems worth it when the biggest hassle to CC is simply picking out the right sort of clothes and being a little less comfortable in the Summer.

But I certainly support everyone's right to OC....I just don't think it's worth the hassle for me.

A gun on your hip makes you a large intimidating sort of guy. I maintain that criminals are by nature cowards they look for easy targets not armed citizens.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I do feel just what the OP is referring to. I rarely OC though. I CC because at the end of a day of being nice to people and putting their fears to rest (Dentist) I feel my ability to do this runs the risk of running on empty.:D

I chose the lightest purple possible because I'm mostly but not all joking. Not that I'm concerned that my patience has met its limit, it is just that it is a huge energy suck to get people through a visit that are freaked out because of bad information or bad experiences in the past. By the end of the day I'm kind of looking forward to not making everyone around me have their blood pressure go up because of my presence. :)
    There are similarities to this and OC'ing and the OODA loop discussions on here so I know it isn't profession specific. In my day I've been going through this already. You have to recognize and interpret all the forms of language (body, verbal...) to try to figure out what is causing the anxiety, often beyond their own understanding of it. Some people fear the physical gun (don't understand it will not go off just sitting in the holster), some people focus on the gun and describe that as their fear but if they really analyzed it, they are fearing the uncertainty of not knowing if it is a bad guy or not. If they feel better after they have a conversation with you they feared the potential situation, if they are still just as uneasy they fear the gun itself. Feeling this out lets you know what kind of education they need. Not that I think you need to do this with everyone you meet but I went into some of the process because I have to do this 20 times a day with patients. Do they fear the needle, the sound of the drill, past dentist was rough and couldn't give a painless injection, or sometimes they haven't been to the dentist before but they have all of everyone else's stories making them fear us.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Then I found myself going out of my way to hold more doors open for people, and smile, and talk with random strangers...I think this is a good thing, obviously.

Sounds like the way I was brought up.

Southern born and southern breed.

It is amazing the response I get from people just for holding the door open for them. :dunno:

Too me it is just the right thing to do. If my mom find out I didn't do it she would still have a stern word for me!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    If I open carry I also sometimes go commando...then I feel like I am really getting away with something! The funny part of it is others are focused on the gun and don't hardly notice! Oh and yes I am polite while OC'ing.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like the way I was brought up.

Southern born and southern breed.

It is amazing the response I get from people just for holding the door open for them. :dunno:

Too me it is just the right thing to do. If my mom find out I didn't do it she would still have a stern word for me!

Its the way I was brought up too, and I always hold the door open for people and whatnot; its just that when I OC, I feel like I smile more while doing it, and I go further out of my way to have friendly conversations with people.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not intentionally rude on a daily basis or anything; I just always have a purpose when I go out in public.

IndyIncog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I OC everywhere I go. I find it causes more people to ask about firearms and it raises their want to be more informed. There have been a few times where it has caused minor personal issues, but that was more my fault (forgetting I have it and walking into a mall or movie theater). Even then, just back out to the truck it goes. I have had several great conversations about it and I look forward to having more.

As far as attitude goes, you should never have a bad attitude to begin with. It just gives the gun community a bad reputation when you walk around with that B.A. attitude. Just my 2cents.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What is the law on OC in Indiana? Do I need an additional permit or anything other than my conceal permit?

Indiana doesn't issue a concealed or open permit.

It is a License To Carry Handgun (Larry ;)).

You may carry however you like with it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    What is the law on OC in Indiana? Do I need an additional permit or anything other than my conceal permit?

It helps to have a zoo pass. :lmfao:

Seriously though, you don't need anything other than your License to Carry. Indiana law is silent on OC, therefore making it legal. You can carry in any manner that you want - concealed, open, duct taped to your forehead, or any other method that you can think of.

For more info, see the State Police FAQ regarding the LTCH:
    Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?
    Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I wish they had stopped at this:

Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?
    Indiana law is silent on this issue.

The rest is opinionated drivel.

Top Bottom