• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ok...... I am not choosing any sides at all. In fact I don't even know for sure what to think. I will just lay this out here and see who kicks it around.

Today I am sitting in McDonalds when an oc guy walks in. He is wearing an old-fashioned looking leather holster. It looks pretty nice but the top is covered with a jacket and there is no indication if it is a snap-down retention or open top. Nobody else seems to notice and/or care and the guy is just trying to order some food. At this time a young boy, maybe 9 or 10, steps up and puts his hand right on this guys gun! The guy without a second of lag time becomes aware that something is going on, and instinctively reaches back to secure his heater. He reaches back so quickly that as his hand is covering his gun, his elbow is clocking this kid right in the face! the kid stretches out flat on his back holding his face. He is totally stunned and at least for a short time seems to be only semi-conscious. The poor oc guy is rubbing his elbow like it hurts a lot and is looking around wondering what is going on.

The whole place is frozen and dead silent, except for me hooting and cat-calling and being boisterous. There is no sign of the parents. The counter lady quickly gathered the guy's food and pointed to the door saying "walk away now". I don't know if he even had an opportunity to pay his bill or not, but he threw his bag down and walked out. by this time the kid is staggering around and a bystander is offering a cup full of ice for his quickly swelling lips. There was a lot of "Well, I never!" and "What just happened here?". I don't know if anybody else realized that it was a "firearm related injury" or not. The manager took the kid to the back and in 4 minutes there was no way to know that anything unusual had happened. By the time I was leaving the cops were walking in..... Maybe to buy food, for all I know.

Just sharing something interesting that I saw today......

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Sounds like the guy carrying reacted exactly like I would've if I felt a strange hand grabbing my gun. Also on the plus side, I bet the kid will think twice before he tries that again.

The man's just lucky that the kid wasn't a 5 year old girl or she could have disarmed him before he knew what was going on.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Sounds like the guy carrying reacted exactly like I would've if I felt a strange hand grabbing my gun. Also on the plus side, I bet the kid will think twice before he tries that again.

^^^^^^^^ Kids do stupid things + Pain is the best teacher = Kid who'll learn to think before he does. ^^^^^^^^

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Hope they don't find him, I'm sure he'll get slapped with battery and leaving the scene. Never mind the kid did something stupid and the parents didn't teach him better. My 2-year-old knows better then to touch a gun. I can't even hand to him now. He says, "Not a toy" or "Don't play" and leaves it alone. But, just like with sex, don't teach your kids about it and they'll never figure it out on their own. /purple

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wow... Interesting...

If somebody put their hand on my firearm without my explicit consent an elbow to the face would likely be warranted intentionally or not.

That said - we all know how things get twisted by those with agendas...

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    To the O.P., you're very observant to have caught all of this. Obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are the only one that truly understands what exactly happened. You might want to monitor your local news in case someone goes after the O.C. guy and a witness is needed.

This type of incident is the main reason why I no longer feel comfortable carrying an owb holster that does not cover the trigger (I have a really nice old leather paddle holster for a .38 I have, but the trigger is exposed).

Hopefully the kid didn't really get hurt, but learned a potentially valuable lesson!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Why were the cops called? The kid caused himself to get accidentally bonked, so what? He probably learned a valuable lesson.

OP should have explained what happened to the manager, because he probably didn't see from behind the counter.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I had something similar happen to me. Only it was my own daughter. Thankfully she was 6 at the time instead of 5. Happened right in the middle of walmart, and she got an elbow to the forehead. Momma proceeded to chew her out.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The kid deserved it?
    Seriously. It's a kid for God's sake.
    He was probably brought up by loving parents and was not use to violence.
    Perhaps he's parents should have warmed him about gun nuts??!!
    This gun owner should have been more aware of his surroundings.
    He was in a place where they have Happy Meals and "Play Places" ... Kids all around.
    Good job letting someone sneak up on you dumba$$ and not securing your weapon.

I won't stand in line to defend this dummy. Sorry.

This is not an OP CC issue. This is a stupid gun owner issue.

The kid may have deserved a stern warning, punishment from parents ...
    but not a friggin elbow to the head!
    A kid that age could have serious issues from this. This blow would be enough, easily, to cause a sub-dural hematoma which could cause DEATH among other things.

And some of you think he deserves it.
    You are messed up.

An adult, criminal or other BG may deserve something like this ... but an innocent child?

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Okay, instead of a little kid, let's substitute a 12 year old. How about a 16 year old? 18 yr old? 50 yr old? What if it was an officer that snuck up behind you and grabbed the handle of your sidearm? Do you think the initial reaction would be any different than what was stated by the OP? The only difference in these other scenarios is that on the officer one, depending on what dept, etc, it is, you may get arrested for assaulting an officer...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Subdural hematoma :lmfao:, that's funny. The brat invaded a strangers personal space--something even 2yo's know not to do--and physically grabbed at his belt. That is a no-no, and I feel no sympathy to the kid. As OP explained, the elbow wasn't a defensive move, but more of a accidental occurrence, and a hematoma seems highly unlikely. He grabbed at a man's waste from behind, and the man felt it, and reached down instinctively, so there is nothing to see here. Just cause a brat gets a booboo doesn't mean the police need called. What kind of a wussy nation have we become???

Do you want him charged for Assault and Battery because his big elbow grazed a little head that was where it shouldn't have been? What exactly are you suggesting should happen here? Put the guy in jail and take the kid to the ER for an EKG? Is that what you want?

The kid deserved it?
    Seriously. It's a kid for God's sake.
    He was probably brought up by loving parents and was not use to violence.
    Perhaps he's parents should have warmed him about gun nuts??!!
    This gun owner should have been more aware of his surroundings.
    He was in a place where they have Happy Meals and "Play Places" ... Kids all around.
    Good job letting someone sneak up on you dumba$$ and not securing your weapon.

I won't stand in line to defend this dummy. Sorry.

This is not an OP CC issue. This is a stupid gun owner issue.

The kid may have deserved a stern warning, punishment from parents ...
    but not a friggin elbow to the head!
    A kid that age could have serious issues from this. This blow would be enough, easily, to cause a sub-dural hematoma which could cause DEATH among other things.

And some of you think he deserves it.
    You are messed up.

An adult, criminal or other BG may deserve something like this ... but an innocent child?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That could have been far worse for the OC or the kid.
    Kids do some really stupid stuff these days. I would never ever touch anyones person/property at a young age.

Top Bottom