• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Columbus is alot better then north vernon cops. They seem to be the worst when it comes to this kind of things. The sheriffs are not that bad, but the city police are real cocky and think they know everything.

oh no, hope cops are the worst.... I was at a friend's house hanging out when some buddy of our's decided to come over, of course them never been there before got a little lost. While they were sitting at the dollar store along highway 9(in hope) on the phone trying to find the house, the cop pulled them over and hassled them for a good half hours before they decided they weren't trouble.

Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Columbus
    oh no, hope cops are the worst.... I was at a friend's house hanging out when some buddy of our's decided to come over, of course them never been there before got a little lost. While they were sitting at the dollar store along highway 9(in hope) on the phone trying to find the house, the cop pulled them over and hassled them for a good half hours before they decided they weren't trouble.

Same crap happened down here when i used to deliver phone books for sbc. Pulled me over and tried to get me for littering....lol....idiots.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let's not forget that some Terre Haute cops (at least until recently) were still lying to people and telling them there is an ordinance in Terre Haute that prohibits open carry.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Let's not forget that some Terre Haute cops (at least until recently) were still lying to people and telling them there is an ordinance in Terre Haute that prohibits open carry.
    Which reminds me to ask you, what is the current general feeling on open carry in the Haute? You can PM me so we don't jack this thread.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Which reminds me to ask you, what is the current general feeling on open carry in the Haute? You can PM me so we don't jack this thread.
    Here's my feeling on that:

What are they going to do? Arrest you for following the law? Wouldn't that be an ass backwards case?

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Here's my feeling on that:

What are they going to do? Arrest you for following the law? Wouldn't that be an ass backwards case?

No, but they could definitely harass me or do everything within their power to give me a hard time about it. There's also the chance of having them charge you with disturbing the peace or some other BS to that effect. It has been my understanding that law enforcement in the area highly frowns upon open carry and will do whatever they can to give you a hard time about it. I'd rather not deal with the hassle and keep it concealed if that's the case.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    No, but they could definitely harass me or do everything within their power to give me a hard time about it. There's also the chance of having them charge you with disturbing the peace or some other BS to that effect. It has been my understanding that law enforcement in the area highly frowns upon open carry and will do whatever they can to give you a hard time about it. I'd rather not deal with the hassle and keep it concealed if that's the case.
    I would consider this to be an abuse of their power (to bully law abiding citizens based upon their personal feelings.) Their job is to protect and serve, uphold and enforce the law, not harrass and give a hard time to promote personal agenda.

I do, however, completely respect your choice to not deal with the hassle.
    :cheers:

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    That's the main reason why I haven't open carried yet. Otherwise, I am all for it. I just really don't want the hassle from any uneducated or highly opinionated officers. I'm a law abiding citizen, and don't wish to be treated as otherwise in this town. If I were somewhere else, I might gladly open carry.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    That's the main reason why I haven't open carried yet. Otherwise, I am all for it. I just really don't want the hassle from any uneducated or highly opinionated officers. I'm a law abiding citizen, and don't wish to be treated as otherwise in this town. If I were somewhere else, I might gladly open carry.

That's the same way I feel.

I wish I was more bold -- and I might be some day. I have started open carrying outside in the yard. That's my first step.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've OC'd a few times and I much prefer it as it's more physically comfortable and I can get to it more easily if I need to (no clothing in the way). However, I am just not interested in drawing unwanted attention from LEOs or busybody soccer moms calling in MWG.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If they guy was an officer, this was a stupid move with a child on his hip.

Nothing against open carry. I just don't do it because I think it puts me at a tactical disadvantage.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I agree that their are alot of officers that are in love with themselves. I have been in the army guard for quite a few years now and that attitude exists in all types of uniformed personnel. I try and remember that I choose to serve my country and community because I wanted to serve and protect them and their childrens future. I did not join to think I am better than those I serve.
    I opened carried a couple times in Columbus and got stares but you have to remember alot of people knowledge is gained only from the media which paints a law abiding citizen legally carrying a gun as a psychotic ignorant hothead that is looking for a fight.

Fireman610

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Down by the River
    well it would be nice if LEOs knew the laws but some choose to not pat attenion to that part of the academy I have had an issue like this once before I had been at the gun range and i decided it was time to get a haircut on my way home no biggie so I pull into the parking lot of the place where Im getting my haircut. I proceed to realize I packed too heavy for this trip had a couple extra long gun cases in the bed of my pickup that I wasnt used to having regularly I proceed to take them from the bed to the backseat which was already loaded down (rests cases couple shooting bags etc) Well some NOSEY HAG saw me moving the cases and I guess she decided I was going to have a full out assualt on the city I walked in to where I get my haircut and chit cat with the gals for a few and find out that Im going to have to come back in an hour, no Bigge go home unload the truck then go back well as I am appraoching my truck and open the truck door I see a City PD car come sliding around the corner, I think damn wheres he going I get in my truck, shut the door and then I find out where hes goin this guy proceeds to slide into the parking lot stopping a few feet less than 5 ft from my truck door this officer and his partner pop out guns drawn and screaming demands :draw: I'm sitting there thinking :dunno: WTF is this all about I'm just trying to get a damn haircut :dunno: Well I exit my truck reaching my left arm over my back towards my right shoulder and pull my shirt up to show I am packing Of course I was pushed up against my truck disarmed and handcuffed "for my own safety" as it was put. Well after 7 more cars show up and everyones ready to shoot at anything the story comes out Some dumb hag saw the rifle cases those were "brandished" but she said I had the guns out loading them and walking into the business with them. Thing of it was one of the Officers showing up later was complaining that I was a threat to Society cause I had an excess amount of guns and ammo on my person I had 6 long guns and 4 handguns Wooo Hoo 2 rimfires 2 shotguns an AR and a 308 and he decided he needed to contact a supervisor to find out if I could have that many guns in my possesion at one time :laugh: hows that for knowing your laws :ar15:Damn nosey misinforming people
    Although the first two officers did complement and appreciate my actions of having my right hand on my head and reaching over my back to the right with my left to expose the weapon on my waistband

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    This is part of the reason why I don't open carry. Despite it being legal, you are almost certainly going to have problems because of all the ignorant people out there.

Now the other half of that is...
    I personally prefer concealed carry because I don't want people to know that I am carrying. If something does go down, I don't want the BG to know I have a gun on my hip because that will likely make me the target immediately. One of the biggest advantages of concealed is the element of surprise. BG's don't know who is packing and who isn't.

Just my 2 cents...

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    This is part of the reason why I don't open carry. Despite it being legal, you are almost certainly going to have problems because of all the ignorant people out there.

Now the other half of that is...
    I personally prefer concealed carry because I don't want people to know that I am carrying. If something does go down, I don't want the BG to know I have a gun on my hip because that will likely make me the target immediately. One of the biggest advantages of concealed is the element of surprise. BG's don't know who is packing and who isn't.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm in agreement with both points!! :yesway:
    :cheers:

Fireman610

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Down by the River
    this wasnt in Colombus but it was in Indiana This happened about 4 yrs ago But it was kinda of a good thing in the long run cause now I have made a large number of friends that are Officers

Top Bottom