• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Maybe I just need to stay away from the east side of Columbus.

Stopped in at Lowe's earlier today while running some errands to pick up some heating/cooling filters. 16x20x1 is what I kept repeating to myself. Had to ask for directions to them from an older woman, I guess I was about 10 feet too short of where they were in another aisle. Got to them, started looking them up and down, searching for a cheap 3-pack that wasn't the cheap ****** blue kind.

Guy comes from behind me and to my left with a toddler on his hip.

"Are you an officer?"
    "No, I'm not."
    "Well, I am. (This is where I get my stone-cold "**** you" face. This guy went zero to douchebag in .5 seconds with that little gem of a statement. :rolleyesedit: ) The law says you need to have that concealed."
    "Respectfully, the law says nothing about having to conceal anything."
    "Do you have your permit to carry?"
    "Yes, I have my license to carry, and again, respectfully, there isn't anything on there that states that I have to conceal carry."
    "Are you sure about that? Carrying open while in public? I don't think that's right."
    "Well, I'm sure it is."
    "I'll check on that and you check on that too."
    "Okay, thanks."

He then walks away. Nice representative of the law, you CIVILIAN ON PATROL.

After talking with jontheturboguy, I regrettably did not get his employer or badge number. I'd rather not be on the ******* list for the county. Something about dereliction of duty?

I know the guy was just looking out for the well-being of...everybody. But seriously. How is this guy representing the law effectively with this sort of harassment while off duty?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    (This is where I get my stone-cold "**** you" face.
    But you knew your facts and presented them very clearly with the mouth part of that face. You handled that very well IMO.:thumbsup: I really hope he does check on that and pass it on to his fellow officers.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    As I talked with Tony about this, I feel this is dereliction of duty.

You are an officer of the law. You are to know the law. If you don't know the law, don't STATE the law.

If you do not know the law, you FAIL.

As any officer will tell you, "Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law."

Ah but aha!

The statement works both ways my friend.

I know its hard to think on you feet sometimes, but I would have tried to get the officers name & employer.

"Do you have a business card?"

Most officers carry several on their person at all time.

I'd then proceed to mail, fax, or email the officer the Indiana Code concerning open carry.

If I was the officer, I would have requested to see the person's license to carry, provided proof Im an officer, and then proceed to carry out a conversation about how that person likes his / her carry pistol.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    But you knew your facts and presented them very clearly with the mouth part of that face. You handled that very well IMO.:thumbsup: I really hope he does check on that and pass it on to his fellow officers.
    Right. :) I was just curt because the second string of words out of his mouth were "Well, I am" in that real ******, "I'm a tough guy and you're not" attitude, you know? I would have gladly talked with him and not been/looked/sounded offended if he would have treated me like a ****ing human being about it.

That and not having his kid on his hip would have helped too.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You did not escalate, communicated well, handled it better than many would have. Great Job! He will check on it, and will hopefully deal with this better in the future, because of how well you delt with the officer.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    So how about we start turning the tables here.

Next time your in a store and see and officer carrying, In uniform or not, walk up to them and ask them if they have a permit to carry that weapon in public.

Make sure they show you there badge and write down there name and badge number, then just walk away really quickly...

HA... I wonder what reaction you would get.... Kinda like when you get approached by a begger, as they are walking up shaking their cup, ask them if they can spare some of that extra change. Just point to the nearest nice looking car at a meter and say you need some extra change for the meter..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't think he was a real LEO. Why would a Police Officer possibilbly endanger his child for no reason? He asked you the question then walked away? He didn't ID himself or at least badge you?

You handled it real well, I just don't think he was a sworn Officer, maybe a security guard or nosy civilian.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    I don't think he was a real LEO. Why would a Police Officer possibilbly endanger his child for no reason? He asked you the question then walked away? He didn't ID himself or at least badge you?

You handled it real well, I just don't think he was a sworn Officer, maybe a security guard or nosy civilian.

Agreed. I've never met an aggressive/rude cop who wasn't overly willing to PROVE he was a cop. This sounds like someone pulling a tough-guy act.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Feign ... sounds like you handled it well, albeit with your admitted attitude! I might have acted the same way ... who knows.

I understand cops can't know all the laws, but when one goes out of his way off duty trying to enforce a law that doesn't exist, he's over the line.

I notice that no representative of the Lowe's store accosted you. That's also a good thing.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Although I can understand the frustration caused by the incident, don't forget that all he did was tell you that it was illegal, which you promptly and politely corrected him on. It would have been REALLY bad if he had actually tried to arrest you. He obviously wasn't sure himself since he didn't take it any further. It sounds like he just wanted to mess with you. Like the other poster said, perhaps he wasn't even a sworn LEO.

And, devil's advocate here, let's not forget that there are MANY laws and that its impossible for any one police officer to know them all. If he was in uniform and had decieded to push the issue, he probably would've been told by his superiors what was right and wrong.

I'm sorry that you had to go through such a situation like that. I'm sure it made you almost feel like you were doing something wrong, even though you knew you weren't. But, it sounds like you handled it well.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been debating on whether to open carry or not, I know it's perfectly legal but my family basically shuns carry an loaded guns outside of the shooting range or hunting. Right now, my pistol is at ruger getting some repairs done so hopefully I'll have it by friday.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Incidents like this are what make me wary of open carry. One LEO that doesn't know the law can lead to you on the ground eating concrete with your hands bolted behind your back.

I have a ton of respect for those who open carry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just kind of a guess here. I cannot speak for Columbus or Bartholomew Co, but the nearby counties have a fair amount of reserve officers. The "officer" wouldn't even have to be from the area, just shopping at the nearest Lowes.

Another angle all together is that Atterbury is near by. I'd speculate there are officers there. Maybe some that aren't Hoosiers.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    So how about we start turning the tables here.

Next time your in a store and see and officer carrying, In uniform or not, walk up to them and ask them if they have a permit to carry that weapon in public.

Make sure they show you there badge and write down there name and badge number, then just walk away really quickly...

HA... I wonder what reaction you would get.... Kinda like when you get approached by a begger, as they are walking up shaking their cup, ask them if they can spare some of that extra change. Just point to the nearest nice looking car at a meter and say you need some extra change for the meter..
    Are you serious? What in the world kind of hypothetical is that? That's not turning any tables, that's being stupid. The shiny badge on their chest lets me know they're all business.

Agreed. I've never met an aggressive/rude cop who wasn't overly willing to PROVE he was a cop. This sounds like someone pulling a tough-guy act.
    Nope, no badge or anything. He didn't offer. Now that I've had time to think about it I wish I would have asked for it. Are they required to show identification when they present themselves and you call them on it?

Feign ... sounds like you handled it well, albeit with your admitted attitude! I might have acted the same way ... who knows.

I understand cops can't know all the laws, but when one goes out of his way off duty trying to enforce a law that doesn't exist, he's over the line.

I notice that no representative of the Lowe's store accosted you. That's also a good thing.
    No, I'm not totally faulting the guy provided he was indeed a "fur realz" COP. He should know better though, really. Indiana has some of the most lax laws when it comes to this sort of thing, AFAIK. Open carry! Damn right!

An no, no Lowe's bigheads requested the absence of my presence. I actually asked a lady working an aisle over to direct me to the furnace filters.

Side note: I did have a guy at the liquor store ask me if I had my permit a few weeks ago (there's this smoking little redhead that's there part time and she happened to be there, so I bought some beer). I told him that I had my license. I even opted to show the girl and the guy my little pink permission slip. I told them a little bit about how it's their right to do so and that it's a really cheap fee to get licensed. But then you have a buy a firearm to carry. But eh.

Although I can understand the frustration caused by the incident, don't forget that all he did was tell you that it was illegal, which you promptly and politely corrected him on. It would have been REALLY bad if he had actually tried to arrest you. He obviously wasn't sure himself since he didn't take it any further. It sounds like he just wanted to mess with you. Like the other poster said, perhaps he wasn't even a sworn LEO.

And, devil's advocate here, let's not forget that there are MANY laws and that its impossible for any one police officer to know them all. If he was in uniform and had decieded to push the issue, he probably would've been told by his superiors what was right and wrong.

I'm sorry that you had to go through such a situation like that. I'm sure it made you almost feel like you were doing something wrong, even though you knew you weren't. But, it sounds like you handled it well.
    I'd have my house, cars, and credit cards paid off along with the next umpteen years of property taxes if I had been thrown to the ground and arrested. I generally don't believe in lawsuits but there would have been hell to pay if that would have went down.

I don't feel sorry that it happened. It's more pity than anything.

Incidents like this are what make me wary of open carry. One LEO that doesn't know the law can lead to you on the ground eating concrete with your hands bolted behind your back.

I have a ton of respect for those who open carry.
    Right. But when they **** up...you **** them right back.

If this man was not actually a sworn officer, is that enough to bring him up on impersonating a law enforcement officer?
    I would hope so. Now you guys really have me thinking about it.
    Just kind of a guess here. I cannot speak for Columbus or Bartholomew Co, but the nearby counties have a fair amount of reserve officers. The "officer" wouldn't even have to be from the area, just shopping at the nearest Lowes.

Another angle all together is that Atterbury is near by. I'd speculate there are officers there. Maybe some that aren't Hoosiers.
    Fair enough. Some MP out shopping and doesn't know our State Laws.

Like I said, I'm not sorry that it happened. If it prevents the next guy from 'gettin' a talkin' to' then I would be more than happy with just that.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Are you serious? What in the world kind of hypothetical is that? That's not turning any tables, that's being stupid. The shiny badge on their chest lets me know they're all business.

No wasn't really serious. Just trying to use a little sarcasm for humor in what is obviously a tense case for you. Obviously I missed.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    You obviously haven't met some of our boys down here then have you?
    Nope. Are they that bad around Columbus? I've had my share of small-town supercops, but each and every one has been in uniform. The only uniformly pleasant ones I've ever met/dealt with have been State Troopers, and on rare occasions a county sheriff. Keeping in mind the relative sample size here is pretty small...

Last edited:

Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Columbus
    Nope. Are they that bad around Columbus? I've had my share of small-town supercops, but each and every one has been in uniform. The only uniformly pleasant ones I've ever met/dealt with have been State Troopers, and on rare occasions a county sheriff. Keeping in mind the relative sample size here is pretty small...

Columbus is alot better then north vernon cops. They seem to be the worst when it comes to this kind of things. The sheriffs are not that bad, but the city police are real cocky and think they know everything.

Top Bottom