Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    LOL.

His previous post:

5 year olds and all.....:D

I am open to the idea that if more people around me open carries too, I might not feel too bad about it. Someone's got my back most likely if he's carrying too. Conceal carry, you don't know who else around you is packing.

And ha ha, very funny

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    One other thing I dont get is why those people who complained about your gun would follow you in the parking lot.
    Those people are afraid by someone carrying a gun and at the same time they are brave (or stupid) enough to confront that person.

They are the same "brilliant" people that call Soldiers (or Marines, etc) baby killers. Maybe not all of them are the same, but its the same mind set. Really brave against someone that they know wont strike back. Nothing you can say will change their mind, but they know they "totally schooled" you by being the tough guy and scaring the guy that was OC'ing, or the Soldier ran away.

Great idea on giving the positive credit where it is due. So many only comment on the bad side of things that when they get a good message, it really shows them that you took the time, and that they are on the right path.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not just for the store, but for the poor schlub that had to confront you. If the other person writes a nastygram to the store owner, well....spherical excrement ambulates gravitationally. You don't want the guard catching it for upholding your rights. A positive note will counter the negative one.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    You might try to find out which company the security guard works for and send a note to his company about the positive encounter you had with him. I used to work armed security in the Cub Foods around Indy back in 2000 and it was always nice to get a compliment from somebody instead of a complaint.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Great to hear! You may even consider getting a gift card to local restaurant to slip to that security guard next time you see him. In an age were common sense and professionalism seem to be rare occurrences, I tend to really let people know I appreciate their efforts, and this gentleman is to be applauded.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to start a flame war...

I'm making assumptions but in the wake of the Zimmerman /Martin shooting certain communities are not comfortable seeing other certain demographics with guns at the moment. Those with that mindset are hellbent on making a spectacle at any opportunity.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    Reminds me of the time some guy cut me off and i flipped him the bird. He was driving an older jacked up truck and pulls up next to me screaming out the window. At the end of it he flexes and i lost it. I laughed so hard i was in tears... he even started laughing after realizing what he had just done. Beer is good and people are crazy.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Not to start a flame war...

I'm making assumptions but in the wake of the Zimmerman /Martin shooting certain communities are not comfortable seeing other certain demographics with guns at the moment. Those with that mindset are hellbent on making a spectacle at any opportunity.

The general sheep population are always not comfortable with seeing anyone with guns on them, regardless of race. Most people aren't even comfortable when cops are in the same room with them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yesterday I was shopping at the Aldi at Ridge Road in Gary. I tend to open carry there because it has been robbed more than once.

After about 20 minutes the security guard came up and said. "Sir, could I have a few moments of your time?"

I said sure and he started saying that they had received a couple of complaints from other customers. Apparently the sight if my gun was making them feel uneasy.

I tilted my body angle a little to look at his exposed gun and my daughter almost laughed.

He immediately said it wasn't him and he didn't care, it was another customer and he asked me if I would flip my shirt over it.

I politely told him "No, I will not cover it." and told him the reason why I opened carried there was because there was a history of Aldi's getting robbed in the Gary area and I didn't want to wrestle with a shirt if I had to get access to it in a hurry.

I did tell him if he wanted me to leave the store I would do so without any argument.

He said "No it's you're right to carry it that way if you want, I was just addressing the concern of another customer."

We finished shopping and as we were in line I saw the lady who had made the complaint as her vocal objection was hard for anyone to miss.

While she was speaking to the security guard she went on saying I had no "right" to make her feel uncomfortable wearing my gun out. I must have missed that "right" in the Constitution.

She said she shops there all the time and that if it was Aldi policy to "allow" people to wear a gun exposed like that she would be shopping somewhere else.

The security guard told her that was her right but it was my right to carry my gun as I was. He told he he had seen us shopping there every week and we had never caused any problems for anybody. (matter of fact she was creating more of a scene that anybody I had ever seen before.)

I never said a word to her, I let security handle it. I said thanks to the guard and left.

It was funny because her husband followed us out of the parking lot trying to stare me down. My family and I just ignored them and had a good time together.

As the man got to his car he took off his t-shirt and tried to flex his flab showing the fact that he could have used a bra and nobody should ever eat that much jello. That's when we all broke out laughing.

I think this turned out really good for us. I do not blame the security guard. He addressed the concerns of a customer, spoke to me and agreed with my rights. Yes he made a request for me to cover it but it wasn't a rude or bad one.

He had the right to request me to cover it and I stood my ground (politely) and refused. I got to continue shopping.

Flabby lips and flabby gut didn't get what they wanted (their "right not to feel uncomfortable") and I got what I wanted "my stuff from Aldi.

By the way this is not a debate over open carry vs conceal carry. (so lets not turn it into a debate) I do it both ways depending on my feeling of security or just how I am feeling that day.

I think anybody should carry as they are comfortable.

This story made my day. Rep inbound later today.

I agree with the others, a glowing letter of thanks to that guard's handling of the situation and the policy in general would be a good deed.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I went to the My Nards in Gary on Ridge (I think its right across the street from that Aldi) and the security guard there had his "piece" on him. This was before I was able to carry though and I didn't feel at all safe :P

It's not a job I'd want to do, so props to the OP and to the security guard.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    You should write a positive letter/e-mail to the store manager and tell him that you appreciate the way the guard handled the situation. We spend (or should spend) a lot of time telling store owners what they're doing wrong. We should spend at least as much time telling them what they're doing right.

:+1:agreed, nice to know the security guard knew your rights (all of our rights)

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Great to hear! You may even consider getting a gift card to local restaurant to slip to that security guard next time you see him. In an age were common sense and professionalism seem to be rare occurrences, I tend to really let people know I appreciate their efforts, and this gentleman is to be applauded.

Any conscientious security officer will not accept gratuities.
    An attaboy would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Top Bottom