• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    This topic is absolutely painful. OC'ers are adamant their way is best. CC'ers are adamant their way is better. I say carry how you want, just do it legally, respectfully, and with common sense so it does not tarnish our image anymore than it already is.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As the old adage goes, "just because you could, doesn't mean you should".

IMO, considering it IS posted on a CC site, it presents both sides fairly well, with an obvious leaning toward CC.

I'm a firm believer in JFC, and that there's appropriate and inappropriate times for both CC and OC.

Really, the only 'argument' that cannot, legitimately, be made for OC is that it's a 'deterrent', as the video noted. Making a 'political statement', trying to 'get people used to see a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun', etc. are all legitimate points, whether or not I personally agree with the specific circumstances.

I believe in carrying a gun day-to-day for personal protection and to protect those in my purview, which is "protection" rather than some 'political statement', which is "comfort". Hence, the signature.

Are there times to OC specifically for the purpose of such a statement or 'peaceful protest'? IMO, yes. For example, across from a MAIG or MDA protest. Other times, perhaps not the best idea.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

IMO, considering it IS posted on a CC site, it presents both sides fairly well, with an obvious leaning toward CC.

I'm a firm believer in JFC, and that there's appropriate and inappropriate times for both CC and OC.

Really, the only 'argument' that cannot, legitimately, be made for OC is that it's a 'deterrent', as the video noted. Making a 'political statement', trying to 'get people used to see a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun', etc. are all legitimate points, whether or not I personally agree with the specific circumstances.

I believe in carrying a gun day-to-day for personal protection and to protect those in my purview, which is "protection" rather than some 'political statement', which is "comfort". Hence, the signature.

Are there times to OC specifically for the purpose of such a statement or 'peaceful protest'? IMO, yes. For example, across from a MAIG or MDA protest. Other times, perhaps not the best idea.

I seriously don't think it matters whether you CC or OC. I normally CC, but my youngest son normally OC's. There are certainly advantages to both that you did not mention. CC does give you somewhat of an element of surprise if confronted with a BG. CC is obviously less of an issue as far as making many non - gun people "feel uncomfortable". However OC is far more physical comfortable to most with full size firearms, as the holster on your belt does not interfere with your movements nearly as much as CC holsters (yeah, I know there are some mouse gun owners that will argue). OC is normally more quickly accessible for "quick draw". OC may (no way to prove either way) deter a BG from starting an incident - normally in recent times we have seen most shootings in Gun Free areas, indicating the OC may be a big deterrent.

On the downside OC may make you a "target", again no way to prove this either way. OC may upset some others - and possibly cause you to be asked to leave some establishments.

Me, I don't care, which method of carry is used, just glad many of us are armed and capable of stopping a BG. I certainly hope the fact that more and more of the honest citizens are armed deters the actions of the BG's. I sincerely hope and pray I will never have to shoot anyone, however if the situation is such that I am required to use my firearm to defend my family, myself, or other innocent citizens, I definitely will use it to the best of my abilities.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This topic is absolutely painful. OC'ers are adamant their way is best. CC'ers are adamant their way is better. I say carry how you want, just do it legally, respectfully, and with common sense so it does not tarnish our image anymore than it already is.
    uh, no. OCers do NOT run around telling everybody that OC is best. Nor do we care how other people carry. I have never once thought, "I wish that guy would OC instead of CC." Instead, I think to myself, "Sweet, someone else carrying. I wonder what it is. Looks too big/small to be a......."

I know of at least 3 occasions where the sight of a holstered firearm or the bad guy's presumption that one was there stopped something that shouldn't have happened. One happened to me, one happened to Mr88GT, and one was recently shared here on INGO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    *snip*
    I know of at least 3 occasions where the sight of a holstered firearm or the bad guy's presumption that one was there stopped something that shouldn't have happened. One happened to me, one happened to Mr88GT, and one was recently shared here on INGO.

There's the one recently and there have been several more shared just over the short time I've been around. The problem in relation to the discussion is that there is no real way to determine how many times that happens. Therefore, adamant CCers will say it doesn't happen to further their point. Whatever happened to JFC?

Why are we talking about this again?:horse:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It may be an old topic, but that doesn't mean we should stop discussing it. We should be willing to correct misunderstandings when opportunities arise.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm not sure what more could be said on this issue. There are pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages, and opinions aplenty.

Frankly, i LIKE a mix of OC and CC as I think it maximizes the social benefit (i.e. the OCers serve as a visible reminder that people are carrying, and the CCers keep the criminal element guessing as to who all IS carrying - thereby maximizing the deterrent).

Also, this is something that should be a matter of personal choice. The fewer conditions that are placed on the owning and carrying of arms, the better.

Just carry.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been a member of USCCA for almost two years now but I mostly OC. I perceive USCCA to be more pro-JFC than anti-OC by a longshot. The organization supports lawfully armed citizens regardless of method of carry and has good training materials and media and a good insurance policy which are the main reasons I joined. And it probably makes sense for them to promote CC because that's what most who carry do, I presume. For the OCers, check this out... 30 states allow OC without a permit:

Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

ole hombre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    From many of these very astute comments it seems that CONTEXT applies here as well as it does in so many other issues. Circumstances may well determine the most effective type of carry.
    Good responses all around IMO

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just watched the video and I will call B.S. on it. Not advocating OC over CC but the CC proponent perpetuates the same myths we hear ad nauseam. Element of surprise? As a defensive tactic? OCer first one shot? Might upset the sheeple?

C'MON MAN! The only real argument anyone needs for their preference of CC vs. OC is "because this is the way I want to carry".

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I just watched the video and I will call B.S. on it. Not advocating OC over CC but the CC proponent perpetuates the same myths we hear ad nauseam. Element of surprise? As a defensive tactic? OCer first one shot? Might upset the sheeple?

C'MON MAN! The only real argument anyone needs for their preference of CC vs. OC is "because this is the way I want to carry".

No way! CC is a magical formula that keeps a person from getting surprised or targeted first!

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I've been a member of USSCA before they offered the insurance, which I now have (Guy Relford) and they are top notch in what they do. I always carry and carry both ways, depending.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not sure what more could be said on this issue. There are pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages, and opinions aplenty.

Frankly, i LIKE a mix of OC and CC as I think it maximizes the social benefit (i.e. the OCers serve as a visible reminder that people are carrying, and the CCers keep the criminal element guessing as to who all IS carrying - thereby maximizing the deterrent).

Also, this is something that should be a matter of personal choice. The fewer conditions that are placed on the owning and carrying of arms, the better.

Just carry.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Both are needed and both should be respected. The anti-gun crowd hates OC because it reminds people that good folks carry too. That message totally screws up the anti-gun agenda which is why they outlawed it in CA. Both types of carry should be embraced when done responsibly.

Top Bottom