• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gosh, open carry is just a "in your face" tactic and does not help "us". :rolleyes:

Depending on how it's done, it may or may not help.

It may help in the court of law, but in the court of opinion of those on the fence, it can do more harm than good. Please reference most news articles about Open Carry Texas and private businesses for examples.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Depending on how it's done, it may or may not help.

It may help in the court of law, but in the court of opinion of those on the fence, it can do more harm than good. Please reference most news articles about Open Carry Texas and private businesses for examples.

Are you referring to those news articles that have repeatedly told lies about OCT, and those who read those lies believe them? It is quite easy to believe something when you don't research the facts for yourself, which most don't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you referring to those news articles that have repeatedly told lies about OCT, and those who read those lies believe them? It is quite easy to believe something when you don't research the facts for yourself, which most don't.
    So it's a lie that they took long guns uninvited into private businesses that at the time were not anti gun, and soon afterward the businesses said "no thanks, guns are no longer welcome here, pretty please."?

how did those specific jack wagons help "us"? The way I see it they went from "we will ignore your sidearm" to "we don't even want your sidearm here." Doesn't sound like progress to me, even if they went "soft" and only asked politely without putting up a sign. Either way it's less freedom than we had before.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Yea, but remember, this guy was also wearing "all black" clothing. So you know there was something sinister about to happen. When was the last time you saw someone wearing all black clothing and a crime was not commited? hmmmmm??

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea, but remember, this guy was also wearing "all black" clothing. So you know there was something sinister about to happen. When was the last time you saw someone wearing all black clothing and a crime was not commited? hmmmmm??

So THATS why SWAT uniforms (and Jackboots) are black! I didnt make the connection!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    So it's a lie that they took long guns uninvited into private businesses that at the time were not anti gun, and soon afterward the businesses said "no thanks, guns are no longer welcome here, pretty please."?

No, it is no lie that they did that. Do you believe they would have made a new policy or asked customers to leave their firearms at home if MDA and other anti-gun individuals wouldn't have asked them to? Remember, the incidents actually took place MONTHS prior to MDA and others crying about it and policies being changed. Surely they would have changed those policies prior to the anti-gunners' cries?

how did those specific jack wagons help "us"? The way I see it they went from "we will ignore your sidearm" to "we don't even want your sidearm here." Doesn't sound like progress to me, even if they went "soft" and only asked politely without putting up a sign. Either way it's less freedom than we had before.

Who is "us"? Are you striving to win over public opinion? Are you striving to have the unconstitutional laws repealed? Or both? Or? Personally, I am not trying to win over public opinion, because it is so fickle I could not readily change my positions to keep up with it. When those in the media spread misinformation and disinformation to the public, the majority of the public do not undertake the research that is needed to verify the article. That is where the problem lies. Open carry doesn't cause that much frustration in the public. It is those articles spreading fear that turn people against us. So, if you are trying to win over public opinion, then I suggest you start there. I, for one, am not going to restrict my rights because something CAN have a negative consequence. If I did that, I may as well not even live.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But steve, we DO need to sway the masses in the court of public opinion. When it comes down to laws and votes, we need all we can get.

You typically don't get votes on bills if the masses are calling their reps saying "no!"

driving by abortion clinics and seeing the 5x life size full color photo of an aborted fetus held by the protesters really doesn't make me say "yay 1st amendment!". I agree they should have the right, even though I disagree with the message. Unfortunately many of our foes aren't that tolerant.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The picture of the two morons from OCT standing in Chipotle's (IIRC), one of whom was photographed holding his rifle at 'low-ready' has been well-circulated and well-discussed, so there's no doubt that it happened, and that the incident contributed to the Chipotle's ban. Whether MAD or anyone else complained. So, it's absolutely not a 'lie'.

In this case, we have ONE occurrence where it MAY (articles' wording) have helped vs. MULTIPLE occurrences where it didn't. On balance then, it's a 'stunt' and NOT a benefit to anyone pro-2A.

Further, this yabo in the article, Polster, COULD absolutely have accomplished the SAME thing without the confrontation, simply by contacting the local law enforcement and informing them of same. So NO, it wasn't a 'help'.

Worse, it COULD have gotten Polster shot, to which the article alludes. God forbid, but had Polster been injured or killed, would the loons still claim 'it was worth it'?

Firearms are NOT a 'game'. Being stupid isn't 'okay' because, in this one instance, it happened to work out.

BTW, and it should be constantly mentioned (since some yabos don't seem to 'get it') there is NO 'right' to be stupid or irresponsible.

Polster was BOTH, for absolutely NO valid reason. He's just 'lucky' he wasn't seriously injured.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ^ ModernGunner, spreading more anti-freedom misinformation regarding carry practices you don't approve of? I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

You should do more research before you type. I find your constant and failed attempts to bash other lawful carriers both stupid and irresponsible.

Unlike you, though, I don't think you should be silenced or stopped until you breach the rights of another no matter how you discredit yourself.

Carry on.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    But steve, we DO need to sway the masses in the court of public opinion. When it comes down to laws and votes, we need all we can get.

You typically don't get votes on bills if the masses are calling their reps saying "no!"

driving by abortion clinics and seeing the 5x life size full color photo of an aborted fetus held by the protesters really doesn't make me say "yay 1st amendment!". I agree they should have the right, even though I disagree with the message. Unfortunately many of our foes aren't that tolerant.

I am not going to stop open carrying because some media outlet will portray it wrong and spread lies, or MDA and other antis get upset at the sight of a gun. I don't doubt that changing public opinion to help "us" can be good for the cause. That is why I speak often to others about firearms. However, I speak with facts and logic, something the media doesn't normally do. Intolerance of the other side is not my problem. Often, those who are in the middle are not intolerant, and once shown the real truth, they can start to see through the shenanigans of the media and the antis.

Exercising a right doesn't hurt said right. Can there be a negative consequence of it due to ignorant individuals stating lies and spreading :poop:? Sure. Someone will always want to control us and how we act. I am not going to let them control my behavior because there is someone out there who doesn't approve of me.

If only we could come together as a gun community...So many here, such as ModernGunner, preach their freedoms and rights, and then turn around and state they would like to restrict another's. Why can't we just accept another's freedom to live like they want?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The picture of the two morons from OCT standing in Chipotle's (IIRC), one of whom was photographed holding his rifle at 'low-ready' has been well-circulated and well-discussed, so there's no doubt that it happened, and that the incident contributed to the Chipotle's ban. Whether MAD or anyone else complained. So, it's absolutely not a 'lie'.

In this case, we have ONE occurrence where it MAY (articles' wording) have helped vs. MULTIPLE occurrences where it didn't. On balance then, it's a 'stunt' and NOT a benefit to anyone pro-2A.

Further, this yabo in the article, Polster, COULD absolutely have accomplished the SAME thing without the confrontation, simply by contacting the local law enforcement and informing them of same. So NO, it wasn't a 'help'.

Worse, it COULD have gotten Polster shot, to which the article alludes. God forbid, but had Polster been injured or killed, would the loons still claim 'it was worth it'?

Firearms are NOT a 'game'. Being stupid isn't 'okay' because, in this one instance, it happened to work out.

BTW, and it should be constantly mentioned (since some yabos don't seem to 'get it') there is NO 'right' to be stupid or irresponsible.

Polster was BOTH, for absolutely NO valid reason. He's just 'lucky' he wasn't seriously injured.

I was trying to figure out a way to respond that made sense or wouldn't butt hurt the OC crowd and while trying to I read your post and saw that it was already done (and quite well I might add)....

Rep incoming....Very well written......

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I was trying to figure out a way to respond that made sense or wouldn't butt hurt the OC crowd and while trying to I read your post and saw that it was already done (and quite well I might add)....

Rep incoming....Very well written......

I personally wouldn't agree with one who doesn't understand that you do not have a right to be smart.:rolleyes: But I am the one that "doesn't get it". :whistle:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

I guess it's now become something else.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While Polster responded at first with salty language to officers, he then surrendered his firearms to the deputies briefly for inspection before turning the topic of conversation to his belief that state laws on allowing guns in parks preempts the local county ordinance prohibiting them...After looking further into the subject, Calumet county officials have promised to change the ordinance to comply with the state’s laws, which changed 11 years ago. In the meantime, the sheriff’s office will not enforce the ban.

Looks like the law changed 11 years ago, and the county was not complying with the law. I wonder if Mr. Salty tried calling county officials and telling them the ordinance was against state law.

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I think this guy did a great service, but at the end of the news story they said they are going to go back this weekend to "celebrate". That seems like a step too far. Message was received and legal changes are in the works.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think this guy did a great service, but at the end of the news story they said they are going to go back this weekend to "celebrate". That seems like a step too far. Message was received and legal changes are in the works.
    So they shouldn't celebrate or they should choose another completely legal place to do so?

Top Bottom