• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    how tall are you? and those leafheads will search my truck cause im taking a rife onver the line so they will want to do some snooping around

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There is a reason they are cheaper..........

I'd like to know where these "cheap" mountain lion hunts are in the other states I mentioned. The reason I suggested those states is because they are well known spots to hunt mountain lions and you stand a better chance at success there.

KY has cheaper Elk hunting then CO but that is because the Elk are a lot smaller.......

The reason for the "cheaper" elk hunting in KY is the difficulty of drawing a tag (around 3%), nothing to do with size. And from what I've seen most elk hunt prices in KY are similar to those throughout the west.

Kentucky's Non-Typical Elk Record Broken <--- Prime example, 372 6/8 B&C is a pretty good bull no matter where you're hunting.

the cheaper places 9 times out of 10 is because of size......

While that may be true some of the time, I'd say more often than not it's so they can pack as many people as possible into camp. A buddy and I went with the cheaper place once on a deer hunt in South Carolina and paid the price. They had 7 other hunters there while we were hunting and the 8 hunters that were hunting before us didn't tell good tales. The place was packed since opening day. I knew it was really bad when the guide took off for a Florida hog hunt in the middle of our stay and left his 16 year old nephew in charge. I seen 1 deer about the size of my dog the entire hunt, my buddy seen nothing.

That being said, the cheapest place isn't always the worst. You really need to do your homework when booking a hunt. Talk to the references the guide provides, check out harvest reports for the area you will be hunting and talk to the guide, a lot. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. If this is something you had to talk your wife into and it's not something you think you will be doing on a yearly basis you definitly want to do right the first time. My suggestion, head west into Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan or BC, or as was suggested western US (Idaho). I think your chances for success and a bigger bear are better. Also remember that hunting with a guide doesn't always equal 100% success, be prepared for the possibility you will come home empty handed wherever you go.

:twocents:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'd like to know where these "cheap" mountain lion hunts are in the other states I mentioned. The reason I suggested those states is because they are well known spots to hunt mountain lions and you stand a better chance at success there.

The reason for the "cheaper" elk hunting in KY is the difficulty of drawing a tag (around 3%), nothing to do with size. And from what I've seen most elk hunt prices in KY are similar to those throughout the west.

Kentucky's Non-Typical Elk Record Broken <--- Prime example, 372 6/8 B&C is a pretty good bull no matter where you're hunting.

While that may be true some of the time, I'd say more often than not it's so they can pack as many people as possible into camp. A buddy and I went with the cheaper place once on a deer hunt in South Carolina and paid the price. They had 7 other hunters there while we were hunting and the 8 hunters that were hunting before us didn't tell good tales. The place was packed since opening day. I knew it was really bad when the guide took off for a Florida hog hunt in the middle of our stay and left his 16 year old nephew in charge. I seen 1 deer about the size of my dog the entire hunt, my buddy seen nothing.

That being said, the cheapest place isn't always the worst. You really need to do your homework when booking a hunt. Talk to the references the guide provides, check out harvest reports for the area you will be hunting and talk to the guide, a lot. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. If this is something you had to talk your wife into and it's not something you think you will be doing on a yearly basis you definitly want to do right the first time. My suggestion, head west into Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan or BC, or as was suggested western US (Idaho). I think your chances for success and a bigger bear are better. Also remember that hunting with a guide doesn't always equal 100% success, be prepared for the possibility you will come home empty handed wherever you go.

:twocents:

Can't argue there, just saying from what I have heard the cheaper places either have smaller animal's or the chances of getting one are smaller. I work with a guy that went bow elk hunting last season and he flew to CO Spring's then drove off road for two hour's to get to the site and saw quite a few large bull's...... even ran into a black bear walking on their trail haha.

I do agree that checking refrences is a must....... just because it is cheaper does not mean it is a bad hunt... just a higher chance of it I guess.

I have heard that it is hard to get a tag for KY elk but also hear that more often then not the Elk are smaller and there are more hunter's...... CO and other state's have more hunting area then KY has land haha.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can't argue there, just saying from what I have heard the cheaper places either have smaller animal's or the chances of getting one are smaller. I work with a guy that went bow elk hunting last season and he flew to CO Spring's then drove off road for two hour's to get to the site and saw quite a few large bull's...... even ran into a black bear walking on their trail haha.

CO is good for elk, they have over the counter tags for 2nd rifle season and the other rifle seasons aren't too hard to draw for, as long as it's not in a trophy unit. Some archery and muzzleloader tags are easily obtainable as well. I'm building points up in Wyoming for elk and deer, lots of good opportunity there as well. If you want really big bulls go to Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona or Utah. All of these are hard to draw for hunts or have really expensive land owner tags, but are worth it.

I have heard that it is hard to get a tag for KY elk but also hear that more often then not the Elk are smaller and there are more hunter's...... CO and other state's have more hunting area then KY has land haha.

Well in KY there are only 16 counties, all in eastern KY, that are open for elk hunting so things will be tighter. There were a couple over 1000 tags available last year- 250 bulls and the rest cows. Even though there is more ground to hunt in CO it can be just as crowded, if not more. I've talked to a lot of people who won't even hunt in CO any more unless it's a trophy unit. As far as the size, well KY has an estimated herd of around 7000, CO is around 290,000, so of course there will be more larger elk. My buddy has hunted public land for the last 2 seasons in WY for mule deer and he says it's worse out there than it is around here, really crowded. Despite that he took a 24" 4x4 and a 27" 3x4, on his own.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Any descent low cost Brown Bear hunt's out there? The Alaska ones I have seen have been like 10k and up not to mention the cost of the gun.

Pretty much, no. The Canada hunts are pretty much about the same price. Also, don't forget the cost of getting there, tags, taxidermy and other incidentals on the trip. It's pretty easy to drop $15K+ on a brown or grizzly bear hunt.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Pretty much, no. The Canada hunts are pretty much about the same price. Also, don't forget the cost of getting there, tags, taxidermy and other incidentals on the trip. It's pretty easy to drop $15K+ on a brown or grizzly bear hunt.

Yeah that's what I thought haha.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

I keep thinking...full auto goodness....brown bear hunt.....:dunno:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Man I'm torn on the same thing, sorta. I'm thinking Uzi or AK/BC black bear hunt? Maybe both? :spend::D

Living in Indy the biggest problem I have is finding someone to go with me to share expenses for a hunting trip. The friends that I do have here dont hunt. The few friends that I have from the area that I grew up in that do hunt but dont have any money.:dunno:

I believe that I can fly to Alaska and do a self guided black bear hunt for less that 2 k door to door. But dont know anyone who would want to go.

Idaho is a easy trip for me but after 6 years of hunting, I want to try a new area.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Living in Indy the biggest problem I have is finding someone to go with me to share expenses for a hunting trip. The friends that I do have here dont hunt. The few friends that I have from the area that I grew up in that do hunt but dont have any money.:dunno:

I believe that I can fly to Alaska and do a self guided black bear hunt for less that 2 k door to door. But dont know anyone who would want to go.

Idaho is a easy trip for me but after 6 years of hunting, I want to try a new area.

I fly for free in country and only have to pay like $50 out of country :D

Gotta love working for an airline..... I don't have the gun or 2k though haha.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Ones of these days.........some day. Or even a elk, or a deer, a coyote, wabbit, something besides a fish.....:dunno:
    I can find a place to fish, but still havn't ever gotten a chance to do any hunting except for pheasants once on a family property in SD.
    Working on it though, hopeing after school when I get some big greate job ya know.:rolleyes:
    I'm part way there though, I got the weaponry.:D

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i want to shoot something bigger than a deer or something that can hurt me just as much as i can hurt it which pretty much means kill me i or i kill it

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    oh it will happen this fall still got spring and summer to go... oh many animals to become food between now and then

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    What rifle would you use to hunt the bear then? I have a 30-06, wonder if it's good enough??

This is from one of the Alaskan hunt sites...

" I recommend at least a 270 or larger for Caribou and 300mag or 338 for Bears. More Grizzly bears are taken with a 300mag - larger Brown Bears 338 caliber, and more Caribou are taken with a 30-06. If you are buying a new rifle to hunt Alaska, get a 338 mag. The 338 is a perfect rifle for everything in Alaska. Good bonded bullets such as Nozlers, Swift or Barnes are the best.
    The guides carry from 270-338 calibers depending on the hunt. Pre 64 model 70's very popular, with a fiberglass stock. My rifle is light weight, has a 20 ½” barrel, and a 1.5–5 power Leupold VarXIII scope. I shoot only Nozler bullets in Federal factory loads.
    Your scope is actually more important than your rifle. Bring only a good waterproof scope, that will not fog up in the rain. Lens covers are a must. You will not need anything larger than a 2X7 or 3X9 power scope. Please no 6X20 power scopes, we are not shooting prairie dogs
    The stainless steel actions and fiberglass stocks are the best for Alaska, because your rifle is going to be wet 40% of the time. Trust me."

300-338 seem's to be the norm.

Top Bottom