• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm considering making some purchases from online gun dealers. I have never done this before. I believe I understand how the process works, but I don't really have a local gun shop that I've dealt with enough to know them well.

To those of you that have done this before, I'm curios as to how this worked for you? Maybe I'm over thinking this, but it seems odd to walk into a local dealer that I don't know, asking them to handle the legal stuff on another dealer's sale.

Are there things to go wrong?
    What are the typical costs for this?
    Do you purchase insurance from the shipping company?
    Who have you dwelt with locally?

Thanks

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've made several purchases after shopping online. I won't put my credit card number online, but I'll get contact info and call the business. I insist they prove to me they have a walk-in business and a verifiable business address. Then, I'll either send them a money order, or make a credit card purchase. Shipping and insurance are usually handled and quoted by the shipper. If I buy a firearm from my dealer, there is no transfer fee. If I have a purchased firearm sent to him, for transfer to me, he charges a transfer fee. That fee varies around the country, and some dealers really gouge buyers. I've dealt with Whittakers, in KY several times, with no issues at all, and like most dealers, they can get whatever you want in a day or two. The shipping costs buying from out of state, and transfer fee, are much cheaper than the sales tax on several hundred dollars worth of firearm.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Jay's advice is spot on. I mostly buy online or at the 1500. I live up in NW Indiana so I do my transfers through CNI in Crown Point for $25 a piece. You can get a list of FFL transfter dealers through many of the sites (gunbroker, gunsameria) that give prices for the transfer fee. Calling the business is a good idea. Gunsamerica just sent me an email saying that there were some problems with sellers using TRUSTe as a payment option then not delivering. Watch out for this. My most recent purchases came from DD's Ranch and Bud's gun shop and they were great!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    My USP .45 Tactical was an online purchase.
    I am using Target-Sports in Sheridan to receive my pistol.
    I can't remember if he said a flat $20, or $25. Either way works for me.

Also, Ken was an extremely nice and knowledgeable guy when it came to 1911 pistols and AR rifles. I suspect I'll be buying a DPMS from him in the next two weeks.

TDIGS :: HK - Thumbnailview
    is the package I purchased online if anyone is interested.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Jay's advice is spot on. I mostly buy online or at the 1500. I live up in NW Indiana so I do my transfers through CNI in Crown Point for $25 a piece. You can get a list of FFL transfter dealers through many of the sites (gunbroker, gunsameria) that give prices for the transfer fee. Calling the business is a good idea. Gunsamerica just sent me an email saying that there were some problems with sellers using TRUSTe as a payment option then not delivering. Watch out for this. My most recent purchases came from DD's Ranch and Bud's gun shop and they were great!

I put my zip code into gunbroker's transfer dealer finder. I found 3 or 4 fairly close to me and a gunsmith right around the corner. Great to see the transfer prices listed. Some of these listed transfer fee + sales tax. Is that sales tax on their fee? Or are they charging sales tax for the out of state purchase?
    One way or another this is very helpful.

I'm contemplating the purchase of a specific Rock River Arms rifle. Do you think I'll find better deals at the 1500 than I can at, favorably reviewed, on line dealers?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Anything for an AR is usually cheaper at Indy. Specialty stuff can be hard to find there and not as well priced. Best to go early Sat. to find exactly what you want. Either way wait until after you go to Indy. Online stuff usually doesn't move that fast. The dealer can't charge you state tax for the firearm. You didn't buy it in Indiana, Indiana tax doesn't apply. It might be sales tax on the services rendered (transfer, paperwork). Can't hurt to ask either way.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    As for shopping online... I have bought accessories and never feel uncomfortable putting my number in a web site. I have one credit card I use for online purchases and I know if there is ever a problem or I get ripped off they will take care of it. I have never been ripped off but I have had issues and when the credit card company gets involved the issue gets resolved quick or I get my money back

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I buy a lot of stuff online. I do pretty much the same as you. I use a debit card account that I transfer $ into as I need it there.

I got a feeling, now that these fellows have educated me, that I'm gonna have to make more $.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    As for shopping online... I have bought accessories and never feel uncomfortable putting my number in a web site. I have one credit card I use for online purchases and I know if there is ever a problem or I get ripped off they will take care of it.

Ditto. I have a separate bank account for all my firearm related purchases and if anything ever happens it will be taken care of promptly. I also do as much research as possible on the company that I am purchasing from.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought my XCR and my Beretta 85 through GunBroker.com and had great results. but just like with eBay i only buy from ppl with positive feedback.

i've had Plainfield Shooting Supply and Premiere Arms in Brownsburg handle the transfers for a fee.

Last edited:

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I buy tons of stuff on line from SHTF supplies to Ammo and Firearms.
    I've never had a problem, If it weren't for the internet i'd never buy anything.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I'd just like to add it is not the internet you should fear, but scam artists that are on the other end. Make sure you buy from reputable sources or places like gunbroker/ebay from high positive feedback sellers. If you go to "Jim's Urban Ninja and Pirated Software Supplies," don't be surprised if you get taken. It's also usually a good idea to use a credit card that has good fraud protection w/ a low-liability (better than a bank card in most cases). If you want to find reputable dealers sometimes you just search forums like these! (you will find some of your best deals online no doubt about it! :spend:)

~Joe

Top Bottom