• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    best feeling after just spending money, to get more back than the cashier could even know. i have recieved 2 quarters, 3 dimes and a few semi valueable wheat pennies back over the last few years. they are all sitting in my safe now

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    This is intersting, I never knew about these. Ill definitely be doing some digging through the ol' change jar. So what years constitute more valubale coins? I found 3 bicentennial quarters in my change the other day. Are those worth anything? I always keep them anyways since I think they look cool.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i lost count of how many wheat pennies i have at 300. maybe my future grandchildren will find em in the walls or rafters. make some money someday.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This is intersting, I never knew about these. Ill definitely be doing some digging through the ol' change jar. So what years constitute more valubale coins? I found 3 bicentennial quarters in my change the other day. Are those worth anything? I always keep them anyways since I think they look cool.

PRE-64 dimes are 90% silver. The coinage act of 1965 changed the make up of the dime to 75% copper, 25% nickel.

Because of the amount of actual silver, they're worth more and their value fluctuates with that of the price of silver.

Depends on your bicentennial quarters. Circulated or uncirculated. Silver mint?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I used to just use those change counter things when my change jar got full. The last time, though, my wife and I actually rolled them by hand. Found a few silver dimes and a few wheat pennies! They'll get hand sorted from now on.

I think I still "earn" more on my credit card cash back programs (5%) than what I would get sorting out silver dimes from my change. Kinda cool to find "treasure", though!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    My wife scored a major find at her bank last month. A customer brought in a roll of silver dimes and exchanged it for face value. I couldn't believe it. At the time I checked it was worth more than $100 +. She brings home silver several times a month always getting it at face value. She says it's mainly kids and grand kids stealing change from the households they frequent.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hardly ever check the dates on a coin. Only if it sounds different clanking along with the rest of the modern coins.

That's the only way I have found silver, and have enough to fill a coffee mug from over the years.

TJJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Took the wife and daughters to the mall today for something to do. We bought few things but I was able to get out of there for under $100 :rockwoot: of course, we pay cash for everything. Real cash, not debit card swipes.

Anyway, I get home and pull out the change in my pocket and found a 1962 dime! Score! It doesn't happen often to me but it has a few times. So this dime will go with the rest of the silver. This would never happen to someone who pays for everything exclusively via plastic.

Anybody else have similar experiences? How often do you get PRE-64 dimes or similar when just out shopping?

We shred our credit cards long ago save for one that we keep on hand for a backup when traveling or to clear payments when an online purchase provides absolutely no alternative other than a CC.

The benefits?

We know what we spend.
    We do not spend more than we have.
    We are not letting merchants build profiles on our purchasing habits and giving away personal data.

What you got on top of all of that was a BONUS!

(BTW, best "found in change" coin in our family was by my uncle in 1962. He found a 1909 S VDB penny that graded in "extremely fine" condition. The chances of that, even at that point in time, were extremely low.)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    We shred our credit cards long ago save for one that we keep on hand for a backup when traveling or to clear payments when an online purchase provides absolutely no alternative other than a CC.

The benefits?

We know what we spend.
    We do not spend more than we have.
    We are not letting merchants build profiles on our purchasing habits and giving away personal data.

What you got on top of all of that was a BONUS!

(BTW, best "found in change" coin in our family was by my uncle in 1962. He found a 1909 S VDB penny that graded in "extremely fine" condition. The chances of that, even at that point in time, were extremely low.)

Thanks for expanding the benefits of cash. Knowing what you spend was a game changer for my family when we switched to straight up cash.

Whatever became of the 1909 S VDB penny? Still in the family?

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    It has been a few years ago but I went to the bank to get mom change for a rummage sale and came how with a full roll of silver quarters. I think we make more money on the quarters than the rummage sale!

fatduk1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Warren IN
    I also do not have plastic money , learned that 15 yrs. ago when I gained a Xwife . ca$h has saved my 6 from thieves and my self many times !!!! have 2 bank acounts at 1 bank ,1 with a debt card for online things. The other my child support I get goes into with a debit card so I can prove that it has been spent on the kids. Then I have 1 at a small town bank to write checks to pay bills with NO DEBT CARD on that 1 !!! I almost allways have $ 2-300 in cash on me. I have 2 cars and 1 4x4 that have prepaid gas cards with $ 50 on them in each auto , and $50 in cash also. that way my loved ones can make it home . we also use prepaid phones. If ya don"t have the cash ya can not spend it or dont need it that bad. and I put bills in vending machines and watch my change thats where I find most of my silver at .

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I also always pay with cash and look through my change before it hits the savings barrel. Never found a quarter but plenty of nickels and a few dimes.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have taught the wife to go through all of her "silver" change and have shown her how to scan the sides of the coins. If she sees one that she thinks is 90% then she checks the date as do I. I also go to a local coin shop and buy dimes when I check Coinflation.com and find the prices are down a bit. I do like finding the occassional suprise in change though.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Right now silver dime is about $2.00

Silver quarters are almost $5.00

Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

Thanks for the link. I guess I have money sitting that I didn't realize.

How does one actually go about selling though? I have pennies worth two cents. Can't see shipping something like that without wasting the extra.

Haven't been much of a metals saver in the past and don't know much about it all. There are a couple local pawn shops and a jewelry store that buys metals. Is that the way to go, or do you lose out too much that way?

I am not talking about having pounds of these, just a few things on the list that show value.

Top Bottom