• RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    yeaah

Thanks yall,

If I carry my besra thunder with one in the hole I'd have to really mean to pull the trigger if the safety was off, if not the safety is just a little click.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    This is my safety...

Hoot.JPG

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    As to the follow up of "cocking" the gun, to that I presume you mean 'racking the slide to chamber a round' No I would never carry a gun in such a condition where I had to rack the slide to chamber a round. What if I am holding off the attacker with my left hand and holding the gun in my right hand? The gun is now a useless club without a bullet in the chamber.

Good point about the gun being a club. I have been carrying for a little over a year, and I too am uncomfortable having a bullet in the chamber. I live in a very low crime area and I feel quite safe. (As do many other victims of crime.) I bagan carrying because I started to realize nobody is 100% safe, ANYWHERE. I have never considered the possibility of having to use my hands to hold off the attacker. I always just assumed (hoped) I'd be able to rack the slide when needed. I think I might start carrying with a chambered round for now on. My Kel-Tec PF9 does not have a 'manual' safety, but it does have a very long DAO trigger, and all my holsters cover the trigger and secure the gun securely, so I KNOW the gun is safe, there's just the mental anxiety I need to overcome.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    I think, perhaps, the more important reason to carry your weapon with one in the chamber is simply a function of human reaction time. From the time you recognize a threat, you are going to have (in most cases) less than 1 second to draw your gun and fire if needed. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to do so (fire the gun, that is) if you first need to chamber a round in that period of time.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, is the fact that during life and death encounters, your body reacts largely on auto-pilot and you don't take time to think about what you have to do. Therefore, if you haven't trained extensively to "draw, rack the slide, pull the trigger," your body isn't likely to perform that action in a stressful situation. What you are dealing with really is a split-second decision, and racking the slide of the gun will take away time that is absolutely necessary to win a deadly encounter.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    IIRC while on security during at my last duty station, we were trained to carry cocked and locked, all because if the SHTF you adrenaline will cause some training to be overlooked in the first few seconds of a confrontation. The 1911 is just a thumb click away from throwing lead down range when there is one in the chamber and the hammer is back.

Nothing really helpful, just thought I'd join in and be a part of the community of INGO.

Doug

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Call me silly, but what is the point of carrying without a round being chambered? :dunno:

I carried that way for about a month after I got my XDm, which was & is my first pistol. During that month, I paid attention to whether I had a tendency to put my finger near the trigger or not. After deciding that I could handle it without doing so, I began to carry with a round chambered & have done so, wherever it was legal, ever since.

I have a chambered round on my hip from about 7:30am to about 11pm every day & I'm quite comfortable with it. It just took me a month to warm up to it. Not all of us grew up cleaning our fathers' guns... :twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What do yall think?

I think if you can't decide this for yourself you should probably just keep your bullet in your pocket until you need it.

How could any one here possibly add any thing of value to answer that? You don't say what gun you carry or what skills you have. No one here knows if you are 8 years old or 80? Will you be pumping up your pellet gun before or after you chamber a pellet?

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    Always fully loaded. Its a fallacy to think you'll have time to rack the slide. It seems counter intuitive to me to make the step to carry and not carry effectively.

I'm not afraid of my pistol firing itself. Its in my holster until needed and I don't play with it.

RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    I think if you can't decide this for yourself you should probably just keep your bullet in your pocket until you need it.

How could any one here possibly add any thing of value to answer that? You don't say what gun you carry or what skills you have. No one here knows if you are 8 years old or 80? Will you be pumping up your pellet gun before or after you chamber a pellet?

Jeez sorry,

I get my permit in a week or two so I have never carried before. I think it was a pretty legit question. I don't see the need to decry another user. Or maybe it's because the little bullet in your pocket has never been pumped.

Thanks everyone else for their cordial advice.

Top Bottom