• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    As for me it really just depends some days i will have one in the chamber and some days i wont,when i am at work i do not have one in the chamber after that any other time i have one in the pipe. I guess its just i feel like i do ALOT of movement and lifting and jumping around while at my work that i am just afraid of having one in the pipe.

Tactically speaking, you really need to choose one method (empty or loaded chamber) and stick with it. Bouncing back and forth is never a good idea. In a lightning fast lethal force encounter, you do not need to waste time wondering whether you have a round in the chamber or not, depending on what day it is. Simply carrying a firearm does not make you well protected. Developing the muscle memory to deploy your defensive weapon, quickly and effectively, without even thinking about it, is what makes you armed. A man is not a musician because he has a harmonica in his pocket. Same principle.

I don't believe that there is a respected firearms trainer around that would advocate a defensive sidearm being carried with no round in the chamber. Deadly force situations are HIGHLY stressful, and they happen in the blink of an eye. You will not likely remember that you have no round in the chamber when you pull your firearm to save your life. Also, if you are forced to draw, you don't likely have the time to rack the slide before engaging the threat. Even if you do have time, you may be unable to do so...due to an injury, getting knocked off balance, weak arm occupied, etc. You may induce a malfunction by being unable to fully rack the slide, or by any number of things that may happen while you are trying to chamber a round.

Carrying an empty chamber gun is not necessarily better than carrying no gun. Once you present that weapon to defend yourself, it's on. Fumble your pistol because you unnecessarily handicapped yourself, and it may be the last stupid mistake you make.

Gun safety is between your ears. All modern, quality firearms are safe with a round in the chamber/cylinder. If you don't feel comfortable carrying your defensive sidearm in its most effective and proper state of readiness, you need to seek training and develop the proper mindset. Don't shortchange yourself when it comes to the defense of yourself and your loved ones.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Tactically speaking, you really need to choose one method (empty or loaded chamber) and stick with it. Bouncing back and forth is never a good idea. In a lightning fast lethal force encounter, you do not need to waste time wondering whether you have a round in the chamber or not, depending on what day it is. Simply carrying a firearm does not make you well protected. Developing the muscle memory to deploy your defensive weapon, quickly and effectively, without even thinking about it, is what makes you armed. A man is not a musician because he has a harmonica in his pocket. Same principle.

I don't believe that there is a respected firearms trainer around that would advocate a defensive sidearm being carried with no round in the chamber. Deadly force situations are HIGHLY stressful, and they happen in the blink of an eye. You will not likely remember that you have no round in the chamber when you pull your firearm to save your life. Also, if you are forced to draw, you don't likely have the time to rack the slide before engaging the threat. Even if you do have time, you may be unable to do so...due to an injury, getting knocked off balance, weak arm occupied, etc. You may induce a malfunction by being unable to fully rack the slide, or by any number of things that may happen while you are trying to chamber a round.

Carrying an empty chamber gun is not necessarily better than carrying no gun. Once you present that weapon to defend yourself, it's on. Fumble your pistol because you unnecessarily handicapped yourself, and it may be the last stupid mistake you make.

Gun safety is between your ears. All modern, quality firearms are safe with a round in the chamber/cylinder. If you don't feel comfortable carrying your defensive sidearm in its most effective and proper state of readiness, you need to seek training and develop the proper mindset. Don't shortchange yourself when it comes to the defense of yourself and your loved ones.
    :+1:and repped.

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009

Well put, give's you something to think about. I agree also seek proper training and be aware of your surroundings use the things around you to help you be aware like cars. Look into the car door as a mirror to see behind you when you are getting into your car. Us window's to also look behind you. Glance at least once behind you when leaving your car to be aware of your area. Know where people are and avoid high risk situations such as a alley with 5 guys gathered in a group. Taking a life is a serious thing and the last thing you resort to when you have nothing else to offer the threat but your life, and thats not about to happen. All in all STAY SAFE use your brain and common sense if you see a area with gang bangers in it don't go walking down that street.
    God bless stay safe, And enjoy the Gun Sport that we all share.:patriot:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Nope, I would much rather be slower on the draw and add more actions to get the pistol into a ready condition.

I kid, of course.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Personally, I always carry with 13 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber in my DA/SA Sig. If I didn't have one in the chamber, how would I carry my full 14 load capacity? :)

As far as the wife concerns, when I first started to carry I simply told her, "This is how you carry a handgun," and that's it. The discussion was then focused on whether she was comfortable with me carrying, not the specifics of how. It took her a little getting used to my carrying in general, but not because there was one in the chamber or because I used a xyz holster or because I had a semi-auto instead of revolver or I carried on my hip instead of a sling or etc. etc. In general, she trusted me with my handgun knowledge (:dunno:) and liked my taking steps to protect the family. If you're about to start carrying, I strongly recommend this method of discussion with your wife.

What I DON'T recommend is lying to your wife as some have suggested. Telling your wife a gun isn't ready to fire when it has one in the chamber is nuts! What happens when you trip and fall and for whatever reason your pistol gets dislodged from its holster and she (trying to save you from too much embarrassment) grabs it off the ground as quick as possible and it goes off? You never EVER want to hear the words "I didn't think it was loaded!" or "I didn't know there was a round in the chamber!" In general, do not lie to your wife. NEVER EVER EVER lie to your wife about the state of your firearms!

Finally, I think there are two different discussions going on here and it would help to clarify the two. One discussion is whether you should carry with a round in the chamber or not. The other is whether you should carry at all if you don't have a round in the chamber. It really sounds like some folks are saying you shouldn't carry if you don't carry with one in the chamber! THAT'S CRAZY!

Carry a handgun with a round in the chamber.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun without a round in the chamber.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun without the magazine loaded.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun in your car.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a gun at home.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a baseball bat at home.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a very bright flashlight.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have 911 on speed dial.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, be sure to say your prayers every night.

Do everything you can to protect yourself and your family. Don't not do anything because your uncomfortable with the "best".

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Personally, I always carry with 13 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber in my DA/SA Sig. If I didn't have one in the chamber, how would I carry my full 14 load capacity? :)

As far as the wife concerns, when I first started to carry I simply told her, "This is how you carry a handgun," and that's it. The discussion was then focused on whether she was comfortable with me carrying, not the specifics of how. It took her a little getting used to my carrying in general, but not because there was one in the chamber or because I used a xyz holster or because I had a semi-auto instead of revolver or I carried on my hip instead of a sling or etc. etc. In general, she trusted me with my handgun knowledge (:dunno:) and liked my taking steps to protect the family. If you're about to start carrying, I strongly recommend this method of discussion with your wife.

What I DON'T recommend is lying to your wife as some have suggested. Telling your wife a gun isn't ready to fire when it has one in the chamber is nuts! What happens when you trip and fall and for whatever reason your pistol gets dislodged from its holster and she (trying to save you from too much embarrassment) grabs it off the ground as quick as possible and it goes off? You never EVER want to hear the words "I didn't think it was loaded!" or "I didn't know there was a round in the chamber!" In general, do not lie to your wife. NEVER EVER EVER lie to your wife about the state of your firearms!

Finally, I think there are two different discussions going on here and it would help to clarify the two. One discussion is whether you should carry with a round in the chamber or not. The other is whether you should carry at all if you don't have a round in the chamber. It really sounds like some folks are saying you shouldn't carry if you don't carry with one in the chamber! THAT'S CRAZY!

Carry a handgun with a round in the chamber.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun without a round in the chamber.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun without the magazine loaded.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, carry a handgun in your car.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a gun at home.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a baseball bat at home.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have a very bright flashlight.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, have 911 on speed dial.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, be sure to say your prayers every night.

Do everything you can to protect yourself and your family. Don't not do anything because your uncomfortable with the "best".
    AMEN BROTHER:rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Being the newbie that I am, I started out a little apprehensive about carrying with one in the chamber. Then as I read more and more, and started thinking about things like mentioned in this thread...only one hand, how are you going to rack the slide? How do you KNOW you will have time to rack. etc etc.

SO, now I carry with one in the chamber. I could not handle knowing that I COULD have defended my family, but I did not have time to react because my chamber was empty...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've always carried with a round chambered.
    None of my carry guns have had manual safeties.

I also agree with the advice to carry on a chambered snap cap for a while if that's what it takes to convince youself that it's safe.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Andy only lets me keep the one bullet in my pocket so.....
    14261barneyfife-bullet.jpg

Always one in the pipe.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I almost never carry one in the chamber. I agree it is personal preference. I understand the arguments for it, but I decide not to. Just having the firearm cc'ed is enough for me.

My :twocents:...

I remember a story of a pizza delivery driver who pulled his gun in self defense and was shot dead because the bad guys had time to fire. He had carried without one in the chamber and didn't think to rack his slide when he drew the weapon.
    If you carry without one in the chamber, do you think under the stress of the situation, you will be able to bring your weapon to ready?
    Bet your life on it? Actually you do.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I feel perfectly safe carrying with one in the chamber, even with my Glock which only has the trigger safety because as long as it's in the holster, that is all the safety it needs until I am ready to use it.
    Just think about how you are supposed to rack the slide if one of your hands is not usable...I bet you would have wished you had one in the chamber then ;) You can always ask the bad guy for a time out while you figure out how to get yours chambered.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't carry one in the chamber, but that is going to change soon. I just started carrying a few months ago with a Glock 19, and wanted to make sure I won't have any negligent discharges (or in my case negligent dry fires ;)). In the hundreds of times I have been out with it I haven't accidentally pulled the trigger, never even came close. So I think this was all the confidence I needed to put one in the pipe.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I feel perfectly safe carrying with one in the chamber, even with my Glock which only has the trigger safety because as long as it's in the holster, that is all the safety it needs until I am ready to use it.
    Just think about how you are supposed to rack the slide if one of your hands is not usable...I bet you would have wished you had one in the chamber then ;) You can always ask the bad guy for a time out while you figure out how to get yours chambered.

While I agree that if you carry, why not carry it loaded and ready at a moments notice. The bolded portion above is what I want to discuss. If you carry a gun and presumably practice with it.......you should practice everything with one hand, for the exact reason you stated. You should feel comfortable reloading, clearing a malfunction, tap rack and access, etc with one hand..........with both strong and support hand.

I have trained using simunitions countless times and it never fails that I or someone else catches one in the hand, which by the way stings a bit. But I would hate for an INGO'er or any other person carrying to be involved in an incident where they had to use their gun in SD and take a round in te hand and then be out of the fight because they didn't train to do it one handed........with either hand.

Just something to think about.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Life is full of "What ifs"...

Okay, I voted. And I carry without one in the chamber.

I know that lots of folks will be shaking their heads, but for me, it is a personal choice. I need to balance my comfort/logic with the situation.
    And I am relativley new to carrying too (- less than two years?) Actually, I probably spend most of my time with the gun left in the car or at home, since I cannot carry in my office and I have kids in school, so I can't carry to school functions.

I do feel that carrying without one in the chamber is better than not carrying at all. I do practice drawing / racking in one motion. No, I don't feel like a moron carrying this way. The extra measure of safety is what I feel comfortable with and I can live with that choice. You can spend all day long talking about "what ifs" - what if you have only one hand to fend off the attacker? And what if the BG catches you off guard and snatches your pistol? - or a kid runs up to hug you in the store ? (which has happened - I'm a Sunday school teacher, my kids have friends, etc.) I just feel safer knowing the gun won't off unless racked.

Yes, it is a handicap to me, but at this point, I'm okay with it. Later, when my kids are out of the house, and I'm more comfortable and experienced, I plan to start carrying with a round chambered, but not for now.

[]
    ----------
    GoBoilers! |
    ----------->
    O ----- O

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The extra measure of safety is what I feel comfortable with and I can live with that choice. You can spend all day long talking about "what ifs" - what if you have only one hand to fend off the attacker? And what if the BG catches you off guard and snatches your pistol? - or a kid runs up to hug you in the store ? (which has happened - I'm a Sunday school teacher, my kids have friends, etc.) I just feel safer knowing the gun won't off unless racked.

Has your hammer ever dropped on your empty chamber yet?
    If not, does that make you feel a little more secure about the fact that it won't whether there's a round chambered or not? Just wondering.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom