• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a tradition I started many years ago. I inherited two guns from my grandfather: a 16 gauge Winchester Model 12 and a Savage takedown pump .22 LR. Technically the shotgun is my brother's but he has yet to lay claim :D. Both are in beautiful shape and I even have the original takedown canvas case for the Savage.

Backstory: Growing up, my immediate family was non-gun. Not necessarily anti-gun, there were just none in the house and the issue never came up. My father is a classic college professor liberal, one who's positions are well thought out and heartfelt. While he and I disagree on many issues, I learned from him the importance of compassion, personal responsibility and the civic duty to make a difference through, for lack of a better phrase, "good works and deeds". BUT, no guns, no hunting, no tromping through the woods of any kind.

My grandfather was different. A bricklayer from northern Ohio, he hunted and fished all his life, bagging his fair share of rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, a variety of upland birds and a mess of pike and perch. He often took trips to Michigan and upstate New York to do so. He stopped hunting long before I knew him. And while I enjoyed fishing with him, it was only a little before the time he died that I myself started shooting - feeding that life long curiosity about firearms.

Which brings us back to the model 12 and pump .22. Every spring, when it starts to warm up and it is pleasant again to be outside, I haul my trap thrower, that old model 12 and that .22 out to the range. For maybe an hour I will dust a few clays from the air then pick off the larger fragments with the Savage.

I won't shoot a lot, price of 16 gauge alone assures that, but for a short while I get a little taste, I think, of what I missed by a few years: sharing some good shooting with my grandfather, or at least his guns.

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    I have a few guns from my grandpa, and they are priceless to me. I can't wait to pass them down to my son. That's the good thing about guns, if you take care of them they will last forever.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I've got a Mossberg 16GA bolt that was one of the many my grandfather had. My dad didn't want it so I've had it for years. I hear ya on all accounts Snorko.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    My grand parents would always tell me , " whenever you can ,buy guns," ( after the bills are paid ) . I only wish I had started taking their advise sooner.
    The 20's and 30's lead to a lot of stupidity.
    "They are always fun and will last a lifetime if you take care of them."

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Old memories

My favorite firearms are the ones passed down to me from my Dad and Grandpa.

My Dad used a 16 gauge Ithaca pump to bag rabbits and squirrels. Grandpa used a Remington 12 gauge pump and occasionally a JC Higgins .22 auto to do the same. There is also a little Remington Model 580 .22 single shot that my Dad bought when I was about 10. I remember that one from Xmas time back in the 60's.

These guns all bring back good memories. Watching my Grandpa pop 3 squirrels out of a big hickory. It was "raining" squirrels! Part of the thrill then was picking up the still-smoking paper hulls and smelling that burnt powder- unmistakeable. Grandpa's 12 gauge was gift to him from his two boys (my Dad and Uncle) right after WW2. 1947 to be exact. Dad had "Papa Joe's" name engraved on the side of the receiver.

Dad liked the Ithaca pump because the shells ejected downward. He was left-handed and that worked best for him.

Dad also had a SW .32-20 revolver. Kind of an old time caliber but I still shoot every so often. Has a box of 50 shells priced $5.97 for the old Galyans out on the westside.

Last gun is a .218 Bee, single shot, Harrington and Richardson. Looks like a minature .222 Remington. Dad bought this of a fellow back in the early 60's. Called it his "groundhog gun". Shells are still available but pretty expensive.

Anyway, I would sell everything else I have but keep these because of the memories. My boys will be drawing straws to see who gets what!

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a 1917 Savage Favorite that was passed to my Dad from a great-uncle to me. It still shoots very accurately and I hope to give it to a grandson, or grandaughter someday.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I have lots of memories of shooting with my grandfather also we use to shoot a lot of Skeet. He bought me a Berreta 682 over and under with a full set of Briley tubes wouldn't sell it for nothing.

TheCheatOSX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    A Marlin Golden 39A lever action .22 and a Savage 20 ga. was passed on to me from my grandpa. I never knew him as he died on my first birthday from a work accident but I cherish those guns. They have really been my only guns until last week when I got my LTCH and a Kahr CM9 and joined this forum.

I haven't got them out much in several years as I don't seem to have time to hunt anymore but I think I'm going to adopt your tradition. Excellent post.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have my grandfathers old double barrel 12 gauge (exposed hammers even) that he bought new in 1903 or 1906. It put a lot of food on the table during WWI, the Depression, and WWII. Passed on to my dad, then to me and will go on to my son.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Great sporting traditions are few and far between these days it seems.

A shooting tradition is special to me as I have my Grandpa's Lefever 16 ga. side by side. The original breakdown case is rough and not used anymore. It was the first shotgun my son shot the summer he turned 14.

Wish I had his 22. I haven't seen it since he passed in 1968, as my cousin has now. I think it was a Winchester (not sure of mfr) lever gun with hex barrel.

Saw Grandpa shoot a half dollar out of the air with it once. Will never forget that day.

Thanks for bringing that memory back for me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Missed out on my grandpa's .22 rifle, no idea what happened to it. I hope it turns up if my mom moves, or maybe she just finds it. I do have my dad's Ruger MkI from 1955, and his Browning sweet 16, among the last of the FNs from the 70s. He'd put it in a case with a foam interior, and it had been there for at least 35 years, so the foam was welded to various bits. Took a bit of cleaning, but it's beautiful again. What ever happened to 16ga, anyway?

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have one firearm from each grandpa. I have a 16 ga Stevens SxS from one and a Stevens .22 semi auto/ bolt action from the other. The .22 is something I have not seen another of. It is a semi auto if you leave the knob on the bolt out after chambering a round and has a tube magazine. If, after chambering a round, you press the knob on the bolt in it fires as a bolt action. It needs some TLC as in refinishing but it is mechanically sound. Somthings I will be pleased to pass down to my children someday.

Top Bottom