• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They are talking about the recent elevator attack where a man set another woman on fire, and other attacks where people were mugged in elevators. Sadly, no mention at all about excersizing the 2nd ammendment.

Their advice did include some good hands on defense techniques, so they did at least encourage fighting back rather than cowering.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Only an equalizer.

No chance in the world that 70+ year old woman could defend herself against any kind of attack by a man his age and size except with superior firepower.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    While i would love to see an example of a situation similar to this turning into a 'how my CCW saved my life" I honestly don't see it happening.

VERY close quarters, VERY quickly turning bad. Very few if any of us here could deploy or carry and execute an aimed shot before the attacker was on us here. This is where other self defense methods come into play.

hand to hand combat is one, but improvised weapons.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Even if in that situation you were able to deploy your weapon would you really want to use it? I mean he is going to be dousing you with gasoline the second the door opens. Not the best environment to be discharging a firearm in.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess. I suppose it's better to get a shot off before he sets you on fire, rather than just wait to fight back.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    VERY close quarters, VERY quickly turning bad. Very few if any of us here could deploy or carry and execute an aimed shot before the attacker was on us here. This is where other self defense methods come into play.

Gives me an idea for a new training class-- Elevator Defense. :D

If you think about it for a minute, elevators are actually quite a tactically suck-y place to be attacked. You're locked in with other people. The space is VERY confined. Your backstop is constantly changing. Weapons deployment is going to be very difficult. There is no cover. There is no concealment. You can't create distance.

It's like a self-contained vertically moving fatal funnel. ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gives me an idea for a new training class-- Elevator Defense. :D

If you think about it for a minute, elevators are actually quite a tactically suck-y place to be attacked. You're locked in with other people. The space is VERY confined. Your backstop is constantly changing. Weapons deployment is going to be very difficult. There is no cover. There is no concealment. You can't create distance.

It's like a self-contained vertically moving fatal funnel. ;)

When all you know is the hammer...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Being attacked in an elevator also means that you are never out of reach to block your attackers weapons. You also have 4 hard surfaces quite near for crushing and breaking their parts. Fatal funnel applies to the attacker too.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    This is why I carry a get the beep off me knife as well as a edc. Me with a knife and 4 very solid walls in that small of a place.... Reminds of the "cat verse collie incident" when I was a kid. Needless to say the dog learned to leave that cat alone. Fur and blood flying and a dog running like hell. Never forget that sound eather. eeehhhhhh

Top Bottom